You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do any of you computer nerds use Newsgroups?

Ive heard a bit about it but not sure exactly what to do.

I had a look at the Virgin Media newsgroups using Outlook Express but I'm guessing there is a better way to do it because I couldn't find anything to download! Just people talking shite.

Any tips you nerds can give would be muchly appreciated! __________________

you get free usenet access with your virgin media account although the retention is only about 7 days for most channels. Cut your teeth on that before you start paying for a premium provider.

Download a copy of xnews and learn what's going on before you advance on to newsleecher and transcend into Knockoff Nigel Nirvana.

Firstly download Alt.Binz

alt.binz | Usenet progy

That will be used to download the files.

Then you need a place to get the files (NZBs), i strongly recommend Merlins Portal (requires registration).

Merlin's Portal - Powered by It's Member's For It's Member's

Now, when you have opened up Alt.Binz in the setting option (think it pops up when you first install), create a new server using the address news.virginmedia.com and use port 119 and in the "connections" area type "20". (Ps. you don't have to enter any password so leave that bit un-ticked).

When you have found the file you want, for example on merlins portal you find the file you want and click the "Thanks" button at the bottom right of the posters post, then refresh the thread and a download link will appear. By the way i forgot to say you need to download WinRar...

WinRAR download and support. WinRAR is a powerful Windows tool to compress and decompress zip, rar and many other formats: Download now

Now extract the file that opens in WinRar, do this by right clicking the file name and then click "Extract to specified folder". You can save this to the desktop.

After that open up AltBinz and click the NZB option (has a green arrow pointing down) and it will open up a box to locate the file you saved to the desktop. After opening it click the "Connect" button in the top left and your download should start.

If the file is over 7 days old it won't work. Depending on what connection you have the speed will be better (obviously). For 10mb connection you can download a typical 700mb movie in say 10-15mins and so on.

Hope this helps you mate.

Firstly download Alt.Binz

alt.binz | Usenet progy

That will be used to download the files.

Then you need a place to get the files (NZBs), i strongly recommend Merlins Portal (requires registration).

Merlin's Portal - Powered by It's Member's For It's Member's

Now, when you have opened up Alt.Binz in the setting option (think it pops up when you first install), create a new server using the address news.virginmedia.com and use port 119 and in the "connections" area type "20". (Ps. you don't have to enter any password so leave that bit un-ticked).

When you have found the file you want, for example on merlins portal you find the file you want and click the "Thanks" button at the bottom right of the posters post, then refresh the thread and a download link will appear. By the way i forgot to say you need to download WinRar...

WinRAR download and support. WinRAR is a powerful Windows tool to compress and decompress zip, rar and many other formats: Download now

Now extract the file that opens in WinRar, do this by right clicking the file name and then click "Extract to specified folder". You can save this to the desktop.

After that open up AltBinz and click the NZB option (has a green arrow pointing down) and it will open up a box to locate the file you saved to the desktop. After opening it click the "Connect" button in the top left and your download should start.

If the file is over 7 days old it won't work. Depending on what connection you have the speed will be better (obviously). For 10mb connection you can download a typical 700mb movie in say 10-15mins and so on.

Hope this helps you mate.

Couple more things to ask you mate if thats ok......

1) Do I have to seed the files or anything? You know like, torrent style? Or do I just delete the .nzb files when the film is finished downloading?

2) In the settings I noticed you can change the maximum download speed. It was 50 and I changed it to 150. Is this bad? Things seem to be flying in........ Ive downloaded two episodes of Heroes, two episodes of shameless and nero 9 in about fifteen minutes. What have you got your download speed set at?

Thanks very much for your help again mate.

Couple more things to ask you mate if thats ok......

1) Do I have to seed the files or anything? You know like, torrent style? Or do I just delete the .nzb files when the film is finished downloading?

2) In the settings I noticed you can change the maximum download speed. It was 50 and I changed it to 150. Is this bad? Things seem to be flying in........ Ive downloaded two episodes of Heroes, two episodes of shameless and nero 9 in about fifteen minutes. What have you got your download speed set at?

Thanks very much for your help again mate.

1) Just delete when finished, the good thing about newgroups is there is no seeding and you don't require anything to download a file.

2) How it works out is the speed of your connection is spread out over the connections you have, i have 20 connections each getting 50kb so in total it is 10mb, which is my broadband speed. Only just noticed that download limit then, will have to test it out when i download some stuff in a bit.

• 1 month later...