You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New manager, new expectations.

Code

I'm not feeling negative about Rodgers but I'm not feeling blindingly optimistic either.

I've made the point myself and I see a few others have.

Regardless of peoples opinions on us having a bright future, if we don't start picking up points it won't matter. I'd bet my house he won't be in the job comes christmas if we're anywhere near the bottom 3.

That's not me saying I think hes a shit manager or he can't make us a good team eventually or anything of that nature, just being realistic about it.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far we have gone from winning the League Cup to being knocked out by Swansea at home in the 4th round and we have gone from only having two teams conceding less than us in the league to only having 5 conceding less.

Still people are happy.

No ambition.

So far we have gone from winning the League Cup to being knocked out by Swansea at home in the 4th round and we have gone from only having two teams conceding less than us in the league to only having 5 conceding less.

Still people are happy.

No ambition.

Go take a long walk off a short fjord.

Still people are happy.

No ambition.

No they're not. Not that many people are happy with where we are in the league, or losing at home to Swansea.

Just like not that many people were happy with losing at home to Swansea last season, only winning the League Cup on penalties vs a lower league team, and (most importantly) finishing a dismal 8th - after wasting £80m on shite players - and also enduring the worst run of Anfield results for over 50 years.

But there's always some mentally ill div who wants to ignore facts and instead concoct increasinly outlandish, facile reasons why things are so much better than they really are, and equally insane predictions about where we might finish that nobody believes and had no chance of happening.

Luckily, most of us are more rational than that.

Still people are happy.

No ambition.

Why do you keep comparing last year to this year as chalk and cheese? Last year was also horrendous.

Still people are happy.

No ambition.

Who is happy right now? I'm not and I don't know anyone who is.

But any manager has to be given the time to build the squad in his own image and we all know that the clusterfuck of transfer deadline day has left him & us exposed.

This club has NEVER been all about hiring & firing and kneejerk match-by-match conclusions. The way to win is to put the right people in charge and give them the tools to compete. Until the latter has been done it is ridiculous to judge Rodgers.

The club have made some monumental errors in the last 3-4 years and we are paying the price now, it will take time and patience from the fans to take us back to where we want to be, in the meantime, give the manager the support he needs.

people as old a me will remember playing in the old 2nd div... had shanks been given the same time as some "fans" want to give bren, we would still be down there... ffs rome wasnt built in a day.. be satisfied that we are what we are and what we have achieved since we got promoted.. nobody wants success more than me but i am realistic.. times change, thats part of life, so lets be patient... we WILL come good . it may take a while but we will... ynwa...

people as old a me will remember playing in the old 2nd div... had shanks been given the same time as some "fans" want to give bren' date=' we would still be down there... ffs rome wasnt built in a day.. be satisfied that we are what we are and what we have achieved since we got promoted.. nobody wants success more than me but i am realistic.. times change, thats part of life, so lets be patient... we WILL come good . it may take a while but we will... ynwa...[/quote']

Bloody hell boomer. How are you connected to the Internet? Through a Gramophone player?

;)

people as old a me will remember playing in the old 2nd div... had shanks been given the same time as some "fans" want to give bren' date=' we would still be down there... ffs rome wasnt built in a day.. be satisfied that we are what we are and what we have achieved since we got promoted.. nobody wants success more than me but i am realistic.. times change, thats part of life, so lets be patient... we WILL come good . it may take a while but we will... ynwa...[/quote']

525506_10151288427866522_1281196995_n.jpg

Bloody hell boomer. How are you connected to the Internet? Through a Gramophone player?

;)

no,mate... just vast knowledge of our club.. dont need google to know what we have achieved since 1892.. just wish all you "youngsters" could learn the same way as me... thro' going to the match at 2pm, programme in hand ,reading it till 3pm kick off... happy days...

no,mate... just vast knowledge of our club.. dont need google to know what we have achieved since 1892.. just wish all you "youngsters" could learn the same way as me... thro' going to the match at 2pm, programme in hand ,reading it till 3pm kick off... happy days...

Bet you don't even leave your seat to have a piss, rolled up paper, just like the old days. Scruffy bastard.

It's going to be another turn-around of players before we come good. I'm not convinced Suarez is going to be part of our long haul to success.

We put our eggs in one basket once before - Fernando Torres - but players always move on, and managers too. BR is nothing special from where I'm sitting. If he proves me wrong, all good.

The Premier League is a different beast to the old division one, and owners of football clubs have the same debt issues as every other business.

All this makes for complicated minefields, on the way to success.

I still say that everything that applies to BR this season, applied to KK last season as in , patience, more time, no quick fix etc.

KK got fucked over, and I cannot forgive the owners for that. Cynical is what I am now, and I wont let football fuck ME over anymore.

It's going to be another turn-around of players before we come good. I'm not convinced Suarez is going to be part of our long haul to success.

We put our eggs in one basket once before - Fernando Torres - but players always move on, and managers too. BR is nothing special from where I'm sitting. If he proves me wrong, all good.

The Premier League is a different beast to the old division one, and owners of football clubs have the same debt issues as every other business.

All this makes for complicated minefields, on the way to success.

I still say that everything that applies to BR this season, applied to KK last season as in , patience, more time, no quick fix etc.

KK got fucked over, and I cannot forgive the owners for that. Cynical is what I am now, and I wont let football fuck ME over anymore.

A good post Kop out.

Suarez has a history of volatility, we should enjoy what we can of him , while we can. Of greater concern to me is Sterling. We paid a full price for Suarez at £24m, his £125k a week wages are an impediment to a sale (intentionally). Finding someone who will give us a sufficient premium AND trump those wages reduces the field considerably.

By contrast, in a Money ball environment, £15m for Sterling gives the same profit as a £39m offer for Suarez. If Sterling continues to shine and we don’t make EL football minimum, or CL football, others may move in.

A good post Kop out.

Suarez has a history of volatility, we should enjoy what we can of him , while we can. Of greater concern to me is Sterling. We paid a full price for Suarez at £24m, his £125k a week wages are an impediment to a sale (intentionally). Finding someone who will give us a sufficient premium AND trump those wages reduces the field considerably.

By contrast, in a Money ball environment, £15m for Sterling gives the same profit as a £39m offer for Suarez. If Sterling continues to shine and we don’t make EL football minimum, or CL football, others may move in.

Shut up xerxes

What do people think are acceptable expectations halfway through the season ?

This is how it looks like right now, something most sane people will agree on is far from acceptable at this stage of the season.

12. Liverpool 10 2 5 3 13-15 11p

After the loss against the mancs at Anfield a lot of people were telling us how we were going to start winning and that all the games up to Chelsea should result in mostly wins.

Out of those 15 possible points in that period we got 9 points so it was certainly an improvement but we played Reading, Stoke, Norwich, Everton and Newcastle so anything less would have been a disaster really.

This is how it looked like after we had played half of the season last year, a interesting fact is that this season we have lost as many games, 3, after 10 games as we did after 19 last year and we have conceded as many goals, 15, after 10 games as we did after 19 last season.

Standings after 19 games 11/12:

1. Manchester City 18 14 3 1 53-15 45p

2. Manchester Utd 19 14 3 2 49-17 45p

3. Tottenham 18 12 3 3 35-20 39p

4. Arsenal 19 11 3 5 35-26 36p

5. Chelsea 19 10 4 5 37-24 34p

6. Liverpool 19 9 7 3 24-15 34p

7. Newcastle 19 8 6 5 26-25 30p

8. Stoke 19 7 5 7 20-30 26p

9. Aston Villa 19 5 8 6 22-24 23p

10. Norwich 19 5 7 7 28-34 22p

So what is acceptable from the next 9 games, what should be the minimum and how many points do you think we will get?

Chelsea-Liverpool

Liverpool-Wigan

Swansea-Liverpool

Tottenham-Liverpool

Liverpool-Southampton

West Ham-Liverpool

Liverpool-Aston Villa

Liverpool-Fulham

Stoke-Liverpool

If we win them all we will sit with 38 points halfway through the season that should be enough to secure a top 4 finish if we could keep that average for the rest of the season, but I guess I'm fooling no one with such talk as it never will happen.

Looking at the games above we should get 19 points out of them, for me thats a minimum and if we get less its not really good enough.

Others might be happy if we play nice, keep the ball and give youngsters a chance but they certainly have different standards than me.

A mimimum would be 15 points and that would give us 26 points, something I fear a lot of people seem happy to think is anywhere good enough for Liverpool.

Remember this is how it looked like for Hodgson after 19 games and he was rightly sacked.

9. Liverpool 19 7 4 8 23-24 25p

As a stats lover, surely you can see their is a very small sample size to your stats, it's the 2nd week of November, sure things haven't been good with regards to results, but have to look at the bigger picture really. Not saying things are acceptable, but the cards that Rodgers has been dealt for this season, was hard to expect a great deal of success imo.