You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

Watched The Seven Five. Brilliant documentary about New York police corruption, in particular Michael O'Dowd. Who is a funny fucker.

I watched this last night.

It was a good watch, but fucking hell everyine in it is a cunt.

Oddly, Dowd is the one I feel less like that about!

The Art of France, on iPlayer.

Three parter, I've watched the first two episodes. The first one was a bit slow, but the second one was really interesting, looking at the art of the time of the French revolution and the time of Napoleon.

There's been a few of these, such as the Art of China/Spain. Presented and written by Andrew Graham-Dixon. He takes a fairly dry subject, but presents it in a way that is both informative and interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OJ Simpson: Made in America

Quite special, goes into so much depth about the case and the racial tensions/police brutality in LA at the time as the backbone to the story alongside Simpson being a bit of a wife beating physo with a very staged public persona.

Something like 7 and a half hours long spilt over 3 parts but I can see why it won the oscar this year

Grab it on BBC iPlayer while you can.

OJ Simpson: Made in America

Quite special, goes into so much depth about the case and the racial tensions/police brutality in LA at the time as the backbone to the story alongside Simpson being a bit of a wife beating physo with a very staged public persona.

Something like 7 and a half hours long spilt over 3 parts but I can see why it won the oscar this year

Grab it on BBC iPlayer while you can.

I boxed that off last night. The length seems quite daunting (ooh, matron!) but you get that engrossed in it that it flies by.

It's quite gruesome in parts and made me realise how horrific the killings really were. It also reinforced my existing belief that OJ did it. And that eventually it was Fuhrman and the LAPD on trial too, not just Simpson.

Oh, and I had no idea about how good a running back he was. Some of the clips of him are amazing.

Very good watch.

I boxed that off last night. The length seems quite daunting (ooh, matron!) but you get that engrossed in it that it flies by.

It's quite gruesome in parts and made me realise how horrific the killings really were. It also reinforced my existing belief that OJ did it. And that eventually it was Fuhrman and the LAPD on trial too, not just Simpson.

Oh, and I had no idea about how good a running back he was. Some of the clips of him are amazing.

Very good watch.

Great isn't it, when I realised how long it was I nearly didn't bother until a later point but quickly got hooked, even with the first episode more concentrating on the lead up and issues in LA I found myself glued to the screen.

Quite the feet though, really bloody well made and researched. Unreal programme even before the murder bit kicks in.

Watched The Seven Five. Brilliant documentary about New York police corruption, in particular Michael O'Dowd. Who is a funny fucker.

Watched this the other day, thought it was great. Followed Dowd on Twitter and he followed me straight back. I bet he's still into some dodgy stuff.

• 2 months later...

Just watched a 3-part series the BBC broadcast a few months ago - Exodus: Our Journey to Europe

It follows individual refugees from Syria, Afghanistan and Gambia as they try to find a safe place to live. It's a first-person narrative with footage that the refugees themselves shot on their phones on boats, at border crossings, in the backs of lorries, in the Calais Jungle, etc. It's powerful, eye-opening, heartbreaking stuff, which reinforces my hatred of cunts like the Daily Mail.

This won a BAFTA tonight.  Quite right too.  Every cunt who has ever voted Tory or UKIP should be forced to watch it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4k1rp6

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4k3n6e

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4khir3

• Upvote 1

Mommy Dead and Dearest. Premiered on HBO 3 days ago. 

It's about Deedee Blanchard and her daughter Gypsy Rose Blanchard. Fucing hell, how crazy can one be?  What that poor child went through for no fucking reason is unbelievable. Makes me seething just writing about it.  Well worth a watch.

From HBO:

In Mommy Dead and Dearest, provocative documentarian Erin Lee Carr (Thought Crimes: The Case of the Cannibal Cop) again explores a crime in the age of social media. Things are not always as they appear, especially in the case of Dee Dee and Gypsy Rose, and what starts out as a grisly tale of matricide morphs into a rabbit hole of deception. Child abuse, mental illness and forbidden love converge in this mystery of a mother and daughter who were thought to be living a fairy tale life that turned out to be a living nightmare.

Dee Dee Blanchard and her ailing, wheelchair-bound daughter, Gypsy Rose, were beloved members of Springfield, Mo., but the tight-knit community was rocked when Dee Dee was found murdered in her home, and Gypsy was missing. Investigators tracked a graphic Facebook status stating, “that Bitch is Dead,” to Wisconsin. What unraveled next was a disturbing sequence of events that nobody saw coming.

Featuring exclusive prison access to Gypsy Rose Blanchard, the HBO Documentary Films presentation is a disturbing, first-hand look at this bizarre case and explores one of psychology’s most controversial conditions: Munchausen by proxy syndrome.

Mommy Dead and Dearest was directed and produced by Erin Lee Carr; produced by Andrew Rossi; co-producers, Alison Byrne and Andrew Coffman; editor, Andrew Coffman; director of photography, Bryan Sarkinen; music, Ian Hultquist. For HBO: senior producer, Sara Bernstein; executive producer, Sheila Nevins.

• 3 months later...

Icarus

Its on netflixs.

Its the full in depth story of the Russian state sponsered doping at Sochi. It was supposed to be about if you can cheat the WADA anti doping system and ends up a full investigation with Grigory Rodchenkov the main Russian biochemist behind the Russian system.

Its a little long a few edits would have helped. But if you are interested in anyi doping in sports worth a watch

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone watching "Tunes for Tyrants" on BBC4.  It's a three-part documentary about how music was used to either support or subvert totaitarian ideologies in Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.

It's fascinating stuff - and it's got some catchy tunes.

Deffo worth three hours of your time.

• Upvote 2

Icarus

Its on netflixs.

Its the full in depth story of the Russian state sponsered doping at Sochi. It was supposed to be about if you can cheat the WADA anti doping system and ends up a full investigation with Grigory Rodchenkov the main Russian biochemist behind the Russian system.

Yes quite a compelling documentary. Grigory Rodchenkov steals the show he is charismatic, intelligent and quite an interesting person

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched a 3-part series the BBC broadcast a few months ago - Exodus: Our Journey to Europe

It follows individual refugees from Syria, Afghanistan and Gambia as they try to find a safe place to live. It's a first-person narrative with footage that the refugees themselves shot on their phones on boats, at border crossings, in the backs of lorries, in the Calais Jungle, etc. It's powerful, eye-opening, heartbreaking stuff, which reinforces my hatred of cunts like the Daily Mail.

Second series coming next month, following the same people as they try to settle in Europe.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watched a documentary on BT Sport last night (one of those 30 for 30 ones) called 'The Two Escobars', it was about the drug cartels in Columbia & the shooting of Andres Escobar after the World Cup in '94.

Well worth a watch if you can get a look at it.

theTwoEscobarsBack_r1_c1_s1.jpg