You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Anyone got one of those Fitbit fitness tracker thingies?

Are they worth the cash? Wife swears by hers as it brings out her competitive side to get her running in.

I've got the HR, it's great in that it tells you how long you spend in the different heart rate zones and gives you your step count but apps like Nike + can track runs and give you info on pace, elevation etc. So purely for running I'd go for an app but for heart rate info get the Fitbit.

Edit: my resting heart rate is 47, elite athlete I'll have you know!

• Upvote 1

I've got the HR, it's great in that it tells you how long you spend in the different heart rate zones and gives you your step count but apps like Nike + can track runs and give you info on pace, elevation etc. So purely for running I'd go for an app but for heart rate info get the Fitbit.

Edit: my resting heart rate is 47, elite athlete I'll have you know!

FORTY? SEVEN? Seriously?

FORTY? SEVEN? Seriously?

Yes, beneath this flab lies the heart of a runner!

It makes sense of a few things, when I had my last hip op the nurse changed the HR monitor as she thought it was broken, then brought in a senior nurse who asked if I was fit when the new one gave the same reading. Probably just a lazy heart!

Having run a grand total of 4k in the last couple of months I decided to take my arthritic knees for a gentle run this lunchtime. I got a bit carried away in the spring sunshine and ended up lumbering 12.3k. Feeling sore, knackered, righteous and elated. 

Off to the pub now....

• Upvote 1

Yes, beneath this flab lies the heart of a runner!

It makes sense of a few things, when I had my last hip op the nurse changed the HR monitor as she thought it was broken, then brought in a senior nurse who asked if I was fit when the new one gave the same reading. Probably just a lazy heart!

I've had similar things with heart monitors too. Think my resting rate averages about 51bpm

That brings up the other part of my question - think I'm going to go with the Fitbit charge. Question is, do I go with the heart rate one or the standard?Does anyone use the heartrate bit much?

If you are exercising seriously you can use it to determine if you are in cardio, fat burn etc. If you are just measuring steps then it's not much use.

Just Been in Natterjacks in town. Couldn't have been more helpful even after I told them right off the bat I wasn't going to buy trainers there because I had an Amazon voucher to use (I did) measured my gait and said I just needed mild support shoes and give me a list of about 7 pairs to try.

They actually laughed at the shoes I'd been running. Just ordered a pair of Asics off Amazon (30 voucher, 26 of my own Wonga) to arrive by Thursday.

Going to not run til I get them and then repeat week 3 of c25k in them.

Cheers for steering me in that direction, fella was really informative and even let me buy something to avoid the full gait analysis charge.

• Upvote 2

Just Been in Natterjacks in town. Couldn't have been more helpful even after I told them right off the bat I wasn't going to buy trainers there because I had an Amazon voucher to use (I did) measured my gait and said I just needed mild support shoes and give me a list of about 7 pairs to try. They actually laughed at the shoes I'd been running. Just ordered a pair of Asics off Amazon (30 voucher, 26 of my own Wonga) to arrive by Thursday. Going to not run til I get them and then repeat week 3 of c25k in them. Cheers for steering me in that direction, fella was really informative and even let me buy something to avoid the full gait analysis charge.

These places are worth their weight in gold. Spend money in them where you can

I did feel bad not making the purchase there instead of giving my dough to tax dodgers inc. any other equipment will be from there though. Not the £12 nipple shields though

Have you ever seen men's nipples bleeding?

I use vaseline on my niggles (when running I might add). I have suffered the pain of bleeding nipples, it is not fun. You do not realise during the run, but you know about it when stopped and especially when washing afterwards.

I always buy my running socks from natterjacks. Can't remember the brand. 

I use a HRM on most of my runs and find it helpful in telling me how fresh I am. Sometimes my pace is down but in my HR is down, it just means I am tired and nothing to worry about. I also think it is a very good way of measuring fitness, as you get fitter/gain endurance your HR to pace will drop. 

I am required to have a medical every two years for my job, they always mention my low HR. Sadly I look forward to this. 

I use vaseline on my niggles (when running I might add). I have suffered the pain of bleeding nipples, it is not fun. You do not realise during the run, but you know about it when stopped and especially when washing afterwards.

I always buy my running socks from natterjacks. Can't remember the brand. 

I use a HRM on most of my runs and find it helpful in telling me how fresh I am. Sometimes my pace is down but in my HR is down, it just means I am tired and nothing to worry about. I also think it is a very good way of measuring fitness, as you get fitter/gain endurance your HR to pace will drop. 

I am required to have a medical every two years for my job, they always mention my low HR. Sadly I look forward to this.

Niggles?

Are those non-pc black nipples?

• Upvote 1