You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

Guest Numero Veinticinco
does that mean that we will be called Scouselona? :whistle:

Nah, we were playing pass and move before Barca. Barca shall be known as Barcapool.

That makes me want to puke. It's all manufactured, yeah I can imagine him on a set of ladders hanging that. The hammer being in his hand is as close as he got to hanging it, it's a stunt.

I imagine we have someone on the case full time looking for stuff to roll back to the good old days to humour the masses, as long as it doesn't cost much of course.

Sorry I'm just not going to be impressed by it. It's not a slight on Rodgers though, I've got nothing against the man at all and I'm really hopeful he can make a success of his appointment with us.

If he wins a lot of games then all of this will be a stroke of genius.

If he does badly then it will be a crass gimmick.

We'll judge him on results and if he gets them you'll soon forget your misgivings

Calm down: Rodgers says it could be years before Liverpool are any good

New Kop boss: “I genuinely think a club of our status... can go again. But it’s going to take time, and whether it will be in my time, I’m not so sure."

My own pessimistic paranoia says he has just realized how shit our players are and how little the owners are prepared to spend. Bit deflating though even if it's honest. I will say you compete for top 4 minimum in the next few years or leave.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's just taking pressure off of himself and the players. He hasn't come here to lose.

"We're fucking shit and there's no way we can win."

"Right lads, let's rip 'em a new arsehole."

He's just taking pressure off of himself and the players. He hasn't come here to lose.

"We're fucking shit and there's no way we can win."

"Right lads, let's rip 'em a new arsehole."

Fair enough but it takes the 5 year plan to new levels, "whether its in my time" we keep going the way we are and it will be a 5 generation plan. We haven't signed him for 5 years we've signed him for his offsprings offspring future investment.

New Kop boss: “I genuinely think a club of our status... can go again. But it’s going to take time, and whether it will be in my time, I’m not so sure."

My own pessimistic paranoia says he has just realized how shit our players are and how little the owners are prepared to spend. Bit deflating though even if it's honest. I will say you compete for top 4 minimum in the next few years or leave.

Yeah. I think it might have occurred to him after his first training session.

"Awwww FUCK"

Or, "I know what we want to be in the next three or four years. We want to be up there challenging for those Champions League places,"

Bye Pepe, Bye Luis, bye Skrtel, . . .

I just read that interview, and the way I see it he he was talking about the old days when Liverpool was the best team in the world. He was talking about when we ruled England and the world. He doesn't mean some years ago when we were one of the top four in England.

In that case he has a fair point, because to be honest with the financial strenght of our rivals do you really we will become that successful again? I hope I'm wrong and I think we will challenge for the title again some day, hopefully under Rodgers. But with the competition from City, Man Utd and Chelsea I don't believe we can be that dominating again. Hopefully financial fairplay will help us on the way.

I certainly think he does believe we can challenge for that fourth spot, probably already this season. It all depends how fast our players can adapt to his new style and if we can bring in 1 or 2 players who can go straight into our first eleven and give us more creativity and score some goals.

I guess we just have to wait and see. All we can do is trust and support our new manager. I have a feeling that this guy knows what he is doing. :yes:

I've been fairly impressed with Rogers so far and this statement, (if intended in the context of how long it might take us to be a real challenger again; I.E. still being in with a shout at the business end of the season), is fair enough I guess. Even if not nice to read.

Its been too long since the last title and while I don't want us to go and buy one a la Chelsea and City, I don't fancy another 5 to 10 year wait either, but realistically that's easily how it could be.

I miss the days when a good manager, a few shrewd buys and good players coming through the ranks could have you challenging (Forest, Ipswich, Villa).

Competing with the financially backed super-clubs means that this is now impossible. The game is all the worse for it. I'm an old git I guess.

Anyhow. Good luck Brendan. I'm on the bus.

You might well be an 'old git' but you are also correct. Nobody is going to win the title or CL without being backed with a huge amount of money. Maybe there is still a chance in Europe - wasnt so long ago that we were in the finals under Benitez, but the league title will again be won by Arabs or Russians. I think the only club who will challenge without a super-rich owner bankrolling success would be United.

The rest of us are trying for Top 4 at best, and Top 6 realistically.

Sad days, but without a bottomless pit of oil money, we will never win the title again. Unless FFP actually happens and has an effect. Which I doubt

It can still be done, but you need to uncover a Fabregas, an Alonso and a Bale to do it, but I think it can be done. Rafa took a few years, so did Arsene (post Abramovich). But I think you need to be able to do something that we haven't done for a long time and that is identify players and develop them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah, I think there's plenty of players out there to be had at good prices. That's why spending so much on the likes of Downing, Henderson and Carroll was such a crime. I think that money could have got us much closer to the title.

Ove the past five years, there have been so many players who were ripe for the picking, but we waited a year or two too long and missed out. It's about getting players whilst they're young for 6/7/8m and then building the team over the next couple of seasons. The odd 20m maybe. But that's not out of our grasp at all.

I think were we have been shit is the £3-8m players, we bought Pennant, Gonzalez, Bellamy who were moved on, we missed out on the likes of VDF, Dembele, Cabaye, Diaby, Song etc, I can't remember the last player we bought of that type who has developed into a better player.