You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

I'm in.

I think he'll be ace, might take a while for the team to adapt to his style of play and I think the board might have to be strong as a percentage of our fans aren't exactly the most patient in the world, but I think he'll be a success given time.

We're going to win the league.

You can quote me on that.

It's a fucking ballsy appointment. It's going to upset a lot pf people but it should get exciting knowing we are going to see something different next year.

I don't think we will get top four but i don't reckon we will regardless of who is in charge. I just want to see progress. With regards to signing players I bet you Suarez didn't have a fucking clue who Kenny Dalglish was when he signed for us. Players will sign for LFC if not the manager.

In my opinion, after they decided Kenny was going, it was time to take a risk like this and I'm glad we've gone for someone positive rather than negative.

Have to laugh. On an Everton forum they have been slaughtering Martinez since we were linked with him. Now Rodgers is all but confirmed, they are saying that Rodgers is shite and only did well with Swansea because he inherited a very good Martinez team. Couldn’t make it up. Even one or two Everton fans are pointing out how daft they sound.

I know nothing about him. I can't be bothered to read anything about him. But I'm relatively pleased with his appointment. I don't why, it's just a hunch.

You oughta do read up on him, it should make you feel more pleased if this comes off. Really exciting manager that comes across very well.

I would have been fine with Kenny having another year, but once he was gone Rafa was my first choice, AVB second but that is without accounting fo the new structure and what that would mean.

The point about Rafa which has been overlooked is that when he was appointed at Valencia their fans were furious because they had just been to two Champions league finals, won the Spanish cup and many felt he was a huge step down from Hector Cuper, and in all fairness at the time they were right. But that is not relevant, what is relevant is that he surpassed Cuper's achievements, despite there being no indication that he had that ability. I am pretty sure that Valencia didn't expect to win to titles, I am pretty sure their planning wasn't to become champions.

Rodgers is a good coach, I don't think that can be denied, he is 39 so it is very unrealistic to expect him to have a stellar CV, particularly without a premier football career to negate the lower leagues, like Keane and Guardiola, he plays good football and he builds teams, and in the absence of huge money he may be able to offer us better value in setting the team up right, and to make the most of the money that will be spent.

I understand that Whelan I'd counter that by saying if there were three League & European Cup winning managers willing to listen to Valencia he may not have got a look in.

I'm willing to give Rodgers a chance, but if he has sole control of the playing side & who's brought in (and I think he will) then I think it stinks.

It's the equivalent of picking Hodgson over Pellegrini not on ability but because he was English.

That's not what's happened here but the decision was not taken with ability as the overriding factor.

And if there's no DoF with him I'd be bitterly disappointed and wonder just who exactly is advising FSG.

It's a fucking ballsy appointment. It's going to upset a lot pf people but it should get exciting knowing we are going to see something different next year.

I don't think we will get top four but i don't reckon we will regardless of who is in charge. I just want to see progress. With regards to signing players I bet you Suarez didn't have a fucking clue who Kenny Dalglish was when he signed for us. Players will sign for LFC if not the manager.

In my opinion, after they decided Kenny was going, it was time to take a risk like this and I'm glad we've gone for someone positive rather than negative.

Don't be silly. Agree with the rest of your post, though.