You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

The more I think about the way this is being handled the more pissed off I get. They've sacked Kenny (wrong decision, in my opinion) seemingly without having made the absolutely necessary preliminary investigations* into who is going to replace him. They've left us open for public ridicule by asking an array of managers to risk alienating their current clubs by undergoing an interview process. They appear to be taking advice from everyone and their fucking dog, including total randoms from the internet. And all the while they created a vacuum where acrimony, division and recrimination is going to fester among the fanbase.

If there is some kind of masterplan in place here then I think they need to reveal it pretty fucking soon.

* By that I mean identifying and contacting suitably qualified parties to establish if they would be interested. Call it tapping up if you like, but it's something you have to do.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about the way this is being handled the more pissed off I get. They've sacked Kenny (wrong decision, in my opinion) seemingly without having made the absolutely necessary preliminary investigations* into who is going to replace him. They've left us open for public ridicule by asking an array of managers to risk alienating their current clubs by undergoing an interview process. They appear to be taking advice from everyone and their fucking dog, including total randoms from the internet. And all the while they created a vacuum where acrimony, division and recrimination is going to fester among the fanbase.

If there is some kind of masterplan in place here then I think they need to reveal it pretty fucking soon.

* By that I mean identifying and contacting suitably qualified parties to establish if they would be interested. Call it tapping up if you like, but it's something you have to do.

Yep, that's about the size of it. Yet another aspect of football they apparently haven't bothered to educate themselves on: how to replace a sacked manager. You'd have thought they'd looked into the subject a while ago given that they didn't even want Kenny in the first place.

How many other clubs have people in place to replace managers when they're axed? A lot of clubs axe managers part way through the season and often seemingly on a whim. As I said on another thread, people would be rightfully disgusted if there'd been reports in the press of the owners meeting with another manager while Kenny was still in post.

How many other clubs have people in place to replace managers when they're axed? A lot of clubs axe managers part way through the season and often seemingly on a whim. As I said on another thread, people would be rightfully disgusted if there'd been reports in the press of the owners meeting with another manager while Kenny was still in post.

Yeah, that worked out well last time.

Nail on the fucking head,its fucking embarrasing

Everyone is just going mental about everything it seems.

Guest San Don

Klopp rules himself out of the job. Fucking weird headline by the wail!

Liverpool rejected by Brendan Rodgers and Jurgan Klopp | Mail Online

'I have been made aware of interest from England, and it is an honour to be linked with big clubs in the Premier League,’ he said. ‘But I have a contract with Dortmund until 2016 and am going nowhere. I love it here and have no intention of changing clubs.’

Klopp rules himself out of the job. Fucking weird headline by the wail!

Liverpool rejected by Brendan Rodgers and Jurgan Klopp | Mail Online

'I have been made aware of interest from England, and it is an honour to be linked with big clubs in the Premier League,’ he said. ‘But I have a contract with Dortmund until 2016 and am going nowhere. I love it here and have no intention of changing clubs.’

OK I see how it works now, they throw out a bunch of names and wait for one of them to publicly take up the offer.

Guess they're believers in the "no such thing as bad publicity" motto.

Guest ShoePiss

Tony B is saying we are hoping to interview villas boas next week and benitez isn't in the frame as he doesn't suit the management structure they have/will have in place.

From Brian Reade

The vast majority of Liverpudlians were shocked and saddened when the knife finally plunged into Kenny Dalglish’s back.

That includes the growing number of Anfield regulars who’d begun to worry if he was yesterday’s monarch.

But the minimum even Dalglish’s harshest critics expected was that his successor would be lined-up. And his name would inspire. If not, why sack a man who, after his first full year in the job, was probably a Wembley wonder-save away from an open-top bus tour with two trophies dangling over the side?

Instead, 24 hours after hearing they’d killed Kenny, news broke that Liverpool would be speaking to Roberto Martinez. Which felt like kicking Cameron Diaz out of bed for Susan Boyle.

Martinez may go on to become a great manager. But his cv so far reads “kept Wigan up, then kept Wigan up.” Just as the cvs of Brendan Rodgers and Paul Lambert read: “took small team up and didn’t take them down again.”

They are unproven talents as likely to become the next Bill Shankly as the next George Burley.

If Fenway Sports say the minimum requirement of a new manager is a top-four finish, how could those three short-listed names (Rodgers has since turned down the approach) possibly meet their requirements?

To instantly gate-crash the Champions League party Liverpool have not been invited to for three seasons, requires a proven title-winner with the knowledge, balls and experience to elbow his way through the door, butting bouncers on the way.

Which is why, if we accept that Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp are going nowhere, John Henry should be looking at four names: Rafa Benitez, Didier Deschamps, Carlo Ancelotti and Fabio Capello.

I accept Benitez polarises opinion and I’m guessing Fenway won’t go for him because they’ve been told he’s too political. Yet this is a man who led Liverpool back into Europe’s elite, came within a whisker of winning the Premier League, and only screwed-up when Hicks and Gillett starved him of the funds to compete with his rivals.

Ancelotti is on a fortune at Qatari-backed PSG. But match his salary and the 52-year-old may be tempted to show Chelsea they made a huge mistake in sacking him.

Liverpool tried to lure Deschamps before Roy Hodgson was appointed but he was happy winning the French title with Marseille. Maybe now, he fancies a change.

But how about building your new revolutionary coaching model around this enticing option, Mr Henry? Fabio Capello as boss and Jamie Carragher his deputy. The hugely-successful Italian feels he has one last big job left in him, the extremely-knowledegable Scouser has an inherent belief he’ll one day be Liverpool manager.

Give Capello £40 million to spend and with his track record at club level and knowledge of English football, a top four finish next season, before the Financial Fair Play rules kick in, would look distinctly possible.

Give Carragher the chance to serve his managerial apprenticeship under the master who persuaded him to come out of international retirement, and he would crawl in from Bootle over broken glass.

You want a plan for now and the future, youthful potential combined with experience, a knowledge of European football plus an instinctive feel for the soul of Liverpool FC?

Give Capello a three-year contract with Carragher as his number two. That way, even if Carra doesn’t turn out to be top management material, you can go for someone else in 2015. When you’re back in the Champions League.

At the very least imagine the fear it would drill into Liverpool’s many under-performers if they realised they had to face those two fearsome figures in a dark corridor after another “unlucky” defeat?

Brian Reade on Liverpool: Why I fear for Liverpool after hasty Dalglish sacking - Brian Reade - Mirror Online

Make of this what you will lads..

Rafa twist: Liverpool HAVE now approached former boss about return

Rodgers snub leads Reds chiefs to make contact with the Champions League winner - but would he work with a director of football?

Mersey mission? Benitez has wanted another crack at Liverpool for years.

Rafa Benitez has been approached by Liverpool as their search for a new boss took another twist.

After being snubbed by Swansea’s Brendan Rodgers on Friday, Liverpool have continued their hunt for Kenny Dalglish’s successor by speaking to their former manager.

The Spaniard left Anfield in 2010 before Fenway Sports Group bought Liverpool and they are impressed by his CV.

Benitez has been itching to return since quitting Inter Milan 18 months ago and has long hoped to take over from Dalglish.

He feels he has unfinished business, because of the way his six-year reign ended unhappily in June 2010 after Liverpool finished seventh in the Premier League.

The Champions League-winning boss has been plotting a return from his home on the Wirral and has kept in touch with Kop fans groups, who would welcome him back.

Next Liverpool manager: Rafa Benitez has been approached about possible second spell in charge - Mirror Online

Guest davelfc

A good piece by Reade, looks like he's been reading Dave's match and weekend round ups though.

I like the Capello and Carra combination, sure there's a language barrier but with a few lessons I am sure they can get Carra legible. (badoom tish)

My money is on Rafa, sure as he mentions there is a divide and for me that's why we've had some people like Rogers and Martinez mentioned. It's got the most ardent Rafa haters softening. A few more days and some more crappy names and they'll be willing to carry Rafa from Caldy themselves.

Guest TK-421

I know the Mirror were cunts over Suarez but they called the Dalglish meeting with FSG spot on so there could be something in this.

My money is on Rafa, sure as he mentions there is a divide and for me that's why we've had some people like Rogers and Martinez mentioned. It's got the most ardent Rafa haters softening. A few more days and some more crappy names and they'll be willing to carry Rafa from Caldy themselves.

Could be right mate.

Saw this posted elsewhere...absolutely spot on for me.

Rafa Benitez for me. .................

I'm sure, fuck it, I fucking well know Rafa would have us back in the top 4 soon with the ambition to challenge further. I know he'd lead us back into Europe, and I know of no other manager who I'd want at the helm of a Liverpool team going into battle against Europe's best. His record pretty much shits all over every single one of the current names being connected with the position

So John Henry, you say you want stability? You want a guy to implement a long term strategy? You want someone with a proven track record? Someone with pedigree? A winner? Someone who's driven to be the best in everything he does? Then do what most of us want and reappoint Rafa Benitez. Let him finish what he started before our previous board went and fucked everything up on us. Give him the backing he needs and the resources to do it and I'm willing to put my bollock on the chopping board and say that the Champions League theme tune will be back ringing around Anfield quicker than you can say Roberto fucking Martinez. We don't want fucking nomarks from fucking Wigan or Swansea, we just want our manager back. The one who many of us feel should still be at the helm today. The one who will make us great again. Do it and I'll consider forgiving you just a tiny bit for what you did to Kenny you shithouse. Bring back Rafael Benitez and lets get this show back on the fucking road

The problem with Capello from an FSG point of view, is his approach doesn't fit in with the rest of club. If we are trying to adopt a sort of Barcelona model (which it appears that we are), then Capello's 4-4-2 means that our kids are coming through playing one style, but the first team is playing differently.

I think he would be a good choice, and his treatment by "club England" makes me like him even more, but the last thing FSG will want to take on will be another manager who'll be instantly attacked by the meeja.