You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called giving a shit about football in general and giving a toss about the future of some of our greatest clubs.

If you're so blinkered about your own club, you fail to see the bigger picture.

I don't need to go on a City board often... I see the games, I know the fans opinions. Understand the views of other clubs and other fans is healthy.

You can't say "folks don't get Liverpool' and at the same time criticise folks for not learning.

I wish more fans would realise that their club just isn't 'their' club any more. They are punters now, or should I say, 'subscribers'. The game is going to rat shit, and more fans need to see things for what they are. What happens at LFC, Arsenal, or United, or City etc affects us ALL.

Fans of other clubs dont get Liverpool because you cant just pick it up. It's not like driving a car. You either get it or you dont. It's a natural thing.

Fanchester City wants to talk about football - and does so in a non provocative and interesting manner. I don't see the problem.

What I do see a problem with is whoever we have as our next manager is in a world of pain and up against it - and they haven't even got the job yet.

Spot on Dan, on both counts.

He named himself 'The Special One' and the media picked it up and ran with it.

He's not 'Special'. He's a vain, egotistical cunt who wouldn't come anywhere near us because we don't have the biggest transfer kitty in the league.

I agree he's not special. He's certainly vain and egotistical too, as well as being very snide and controversial. I don't think, however, that he wouldn't come to us just because we don't have a huge kitty to spend, but I can't prove that.

I had cause to deal with him and his family once in an official capacity and there was a problem that needed sorting out. What surprised me was that he was actually very civil and polite considering his reputation at the time, it was his wife who totally went off on one, made me wonder if she wears the trousers and with him it's just a big act in football.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It's called giving a shit about football in general and giving a toss about the future of some of our greatest clubs.

If you're so blinkered about your own club, you fail to see the bigger picture.

I don't need to go on a City board often... I see the games, I know the fans opinions. Understand the views of other clubs and other fans is healthy.

You can't say "folks don't get Liverpool' and at the same time criticise folks for not learning.

I wish more fans would realise that their club just isn't 'their' club any more. They are punters now, or should I say, 'subscribers'. The game is going to rat shit, and more fans need to see things for what they are. What happens at LFC, Arsenal, or United, or City etc affects us ALL.

Some people are very 'group-thinky' here. As long as a few people here respect you, I hope you stick around.

Obviously your suggestion of O'Neil and Carra earns you a smack in the teeth though. ;)

'The Special One' is hard to judge.

You can't prove he's a crap manager - he's been successful.

You can't prove he's a great manager - he's had money, he's moved from top team to top team.

He's shown glimpses of tactical ability, definitely, and entertained/annoyed with his arrogance, but the Liverpool job is different. He would have to improve it considerably, and it's not a 'glamour' club.

And what after 2 years when he's bored? what then?

Maybe he could be a quick fix, I dunno, but doesn't seem quite the right fit. Liverpool's tradition is long term managers and I think they should still be thinking in those terms.

The greatest European record in the history of the game? I can think of someone's who's a bit better

His managerial record is second to none.

Who else has won European Champions Leagues with two different clubs?

Add to that sixteen domestic titles, domestic cups and European trophies in 11 years, in four countries, and I will be interested to see who you come up with.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Add to that sixteen domestic titles, domestic cups and European trophies in 11 years, in four countries, and I will be interested to see who you come up with.

Paisley. 3 European Cups in 5 seasons. 6 titles in 7 seasons.

Hope this helps.

Hitzfeld and Happel...

No it's not.

Trophies won in seasons managed,at clubs managed and in which countries.It is very easy.

The argument that "But he has had money" is nonsense.

It's a bit like complaining that the CEO of Tescos might be good, but how woluld he cope at Bargain Booze in Crocky.

If you are no good you don't get money, if you are, you do.

You can't prove he's a crap manager - he's been successful.

You can't prove he's a great manager - he's had money, he's moved from top team to top team.

He's shown glimpses of tactical ability, definitely, and entertained/annoyed with his arrogance, but the Liverpool job is different. He would have to improve it considerably, and it's not a 'glamour' club.

And what after 2 years when he's bored? what then?

Maybe he could be a quick fix, I dunno, but doesn't seem quite the right fit. Liverpool's tradition is long term managers and I think they should still be thinking in those terms.

I agree with much of that and I don't know if he'd be the right appointment if he was available and wanted the job, but if he did come it would certainly be a huge statement by FSG. The only thing I would add is that at Porto he won the Europa League and then the Champions League in successive seasons, and whilst that club may have some financial clout in Portugal, they are still more of a feeder club for bigger European Clubs, and that winning achievement should not go unnoticed.

Fanchester City wants to talk about football - and does so in a non provocative and interesting manner. I don't see the problem.

What I do see a problem with is whoever we have as our next manager is in a world of pain and up against it - and they haven't even got the job yet.

I don't have a problem with him per se, in fact he's a refreshing change from the usual opposing fan wum we get on here; but I'm still feeling very raw regarding Kenny and for him to be on here the day after suggesting Sfg comes across as if he's deeming that to be our level and wondering why we don't just settle. It's patronising, 'oh we wouldn't have him but he's good enough for you'. Aside from that he's a decent poster usually (although I find his apparent obsession with LFC a tad strange)

I never understand why fans of other clubs come onto different forums and post. It's retarded and obsessive.

Doesn't bother me personally, it's sometimes good to get an outsider's opinion as long as they aren't acting the twat, which the City fan isn't that I've seen. He's a good and balanced poster. Don't post on other team's boards myself (then again, don't post on any other Liverpool boards either) but do occasionally lurk.

All that aside though, Martin O'Neill can fuck right off (!)

Managerial ability to one side, Mourinho would be attractive to FSG I think.

Of course, not every fan would welcome him, but a lot might, and he's a 'name'. That will be important to FSG who are looking to get Liverpool back in the press for all the right reasons, and stoke up publicity / attract sponsors etc etc

On purely business terms (depending on his salary) he's be very attractive to FSG, possibly more than Guardiola (although he'd bring attention because the world will be curious to see how he does outside of Barca).

It's an awful reality, but to FSG, they'll be concerned with who looks good on screen, who gives a 'positive' image of a club going places, who's going to look 'cool' under pressure and not get suckered in by interviewers.

I think FSG are in a bit of trouble because they're have a 'mixed' message about Liverpool.

Here's an example:

Man City - no real heritage of note (by comparison with the super clubs), so their new image as all about new money - modern ground, modern football, modern manager.

Arsenal - all about heritage and tradition (not saying they have it, but that's their image) - They have a statesman like manager. Older, wiser, reserved.

Barcelona - 'Barca from birth' image, they are promoting the view that they all join as kids and never leave. Pep as manager was the ideal image for them too.

FSG are new stuck between a rock and hard place, because Liverpool is about tradition, heritage and a very 'working class' image - but that doesn't fit well with a sleek young debonair manager and an American slick machine taking Liverpool to the top again. They tried with Roy and now Kenny (who better to epitomise the face of Liverpool?) but it didn't work out.

If the results on the pitch are great, they can probably compromise on other aspects, but if not, the manager is done for.

FSG are about making money, and that's why their choice of manager will be influenced not only by football, but PR / image.

FSG have previous for going for the soft option.

Carra as manager with a strong DOF is not an impossible scenario.

But there again Ayre might suggest Lee Clark.

Do you think that Carra would take the job if he was offered it? Who would be that strong DoF to work alongside him though. An interesting scenario I think.

mrw74? I agree with you mate re' Carragher but me? I think he & his 'opinions' along with the fact I'm pretty sure he's been protecting his career to some extent? I mean consider - Look at Him Not moving aside or gradually backing out gracefully to allow Coates the time & games he needs along with all these rumours about Coates being conveniently close to Kenny going? Look at the four Year bloody contract he got in our last bout of managerial chaos - I don't know, something just doesn't ring right for me...............

But yes I think he'd be good on our coaching staff - He seems made for that sort of role to me & would prob' be Far better there than in our team right now if you ask me.

I suppose that only a few people with really know what exists within the football club, ie Carra's contract, but I thought it was only a 3 year deal he got, and doesn't that end next season?

I'm definitely in the camp that Carra has now had his day and Coates is the future and I hope that whoever is in charge, has the balls to do this and urge Carra towards the coaching side.