You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone coming in may have to work with Steve Clark, who is still at the club, for now. Not sure about Kevin Keen.

From Ian Ayre Q & A on the offal:

What is the position of Steve Clarke at this moment in time?

Steve's still at the club. There's no change there. Steve's on holiday. There's no plans to move that along unless it's a discussion that we have later on with Steve about how he feels about Kenny. But he's on holiday. So there's no change at all.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They've engaged discussion and the services of some very, very talented and knowledgeable people from within the football industry"

Thats ayre, so basically Henry spoke to non Liverpool people to remove Mr Liverpool himself.

Its a total joke

I hope we at least ask Klopp if he'd be interested, give him something to think about

he'd be fucking boss

What, one of the most highly-rated and sought after young managers in world football, who has just won two titles in one of the hardest leagues in the world and a UEFA cup?

Yeah, right. Dream on. Those days are gone - we've been linked with Pardew, Rodgers and Martinez.

Villas-Boas is obviously far closer to the "Benitez remit" than any of the above, but he blotted his copybook at Chelsea.

Just because there are some idiots in the media saying they are candidates, doesnt mean we are actually after them.

I dont think the owners are that incompetent to be considering them.

Regardless of our position as a midtable team, we are far from being a midtable club. We can still attract a good manager. You just have to look in the right places.

Why is Klopp un-likely?

We're a bigger club than Dortmund will ever be. I know people are saying 'We got get X, Y won't come to us' but why the fuck not? We're Liverpool FC, one of the biggest, successful and popular clubs the world has ever seen. Have some faith!

Just had a look at Klopp on Wikipedia (not the best source I know) but he seems to tick all the right boxes. Got Mainz promoted and qualified for the Europa League but then took them down. Took Dortmund from 13th to 6th in his first season. Just won back-to-back titles, including the double this season hammering Bayern 5-2 in the Cup Final.

Obviously done all this on a budget (weren't Dortmund close to going under the other season?) and has broken Bayern's superiority. Sounds a bit like the German Rafa?

Surely the tought of having his Dortmund team dismantled from under him wounder tempt him to bigger things? He's just finished his 4th season at Dortmund, can he realistically take them any further?

Germany is now seeing the boom from the World Cup in 2006 with many good young players coming through. He'll know the market and could hopefully un-earth a few gems like Rafa did with Garcia, Alonso & Sissoko (they were known but hardly household names before we signed them) by taking advantage of this.

I'd still offer Guardiola everything first but would then look at this fella as Plan B.

Well he could take them to a Champions League final. Not outside the realm of possibility since his side convincingly thrashed Bayern over the course of the season, and Bayern are in the Champions League final. So it's not a massive leap to suspect that he wants to go for the big one.

Well he could take them to a Champions League final. Not outside the realm of possibility since his side convincingly thrashed Bayern over the course of the season, and Bayern are in the Champions League final. So it's not a massive leap to suspect that he wants to go for the big one.

Or they could get knocked out of a favourable group again?

I'd guess, the majority of coaches not already coaching a European Super Power would jump at the chance of managing us. Dortmund aren't one of those clubs. He seems to fit the bill of exactly what we're looking for. He should at least be approached. If he say' no, it's his loss, opportunities to manage us don't tend come around very often (although not technically true at the moment!)

What, one of the most highly-rated and sought after young managers in world football, who has just won two titles in one of the hardest leagues in the world and a UEFA cup?

Yeah, right. Dream on. Those days are gone - we've been linked with Pardew, Rodgers and Martinez.

Villas-Boas is obviously far closer to the "Benitez remit" than any of the above, but he blotted his copybook at Chelsea.

Don't get this rubbish about not being able to attract. It depends on how much money they make available.

Almost every manager wants to manage in the Premier League. And we're still one of the top six clubs in the country, even leaning on the pessimistic side.

Garcia would bite our hand off. He's losing Hazard this summer and Lille won't be able to bankroll team building in any of the ways we can.

I heard all the same arguments when Houllier went. And we signed the guy who had just won La Liga.

Liverpool is a MASSIVE pull.

It's the task that might put folks off.

To make the task 'attractive' will take money, and a look up the table for a manager to say "can I do something with this club that'll make me look good and I'll enjoy being there?"

If the budget is tight, forget a big name.

If the money is plenty, they'll come.

Neither Klopp nor Deschamps has experience of the Premier League, even Rafa took a couple of seasons to 'get it'. Whilst they may be lords of their own manors, it may take a couple of seasons of further under-achievement before we see any improvement. AVB might just shade it given he's been blooded and will have a better idea of what to expect?

Or they could get knocked out of a favourable group again?

I'd guess, the majority of coaches not already coaching a European Super Power would jump at the chance of managing us. Dortmund aren't one of those clubs. He seems to fit the bill of exactly what we're looking for. He should at least be approached. If he say' no, it's his loss, opportunities to manage us don't tend come around very often (although not technically true at the moment!)

The fact is, he'll have the chance to get knocked out at the group stages of the CL. Then again, Dortmund might not end up in the group of death again. At least they will have the opportunity which is something we cannot offer.

"I know we're not in the C/L next season but we did the double over Chelsea so for the second consequtive season, what would that say if they won it?"

"Fuck all"

Is the correct answer.

Nobody cares if Liverpool beat Chelsea in the league.

Nobody cares if City beat United

They only care about where you finish and what you win.

If Chelsea win CL is makes them more attractive. Pure and simple.

Personally, I think there are other aspects of Chelsea that work against them though - the age of the squad, and the owner's lack of patience.

Liverpool just need to stay clear of getting the same reputation for being trigger happy with managers (they don't have the reputation... yet)

I think someone said it before. What we can most definitely offer a manager is a top salary. It's whether or not someone can and is up to the challenge of taking a club from 8th to 4th (or higher) their first year of the club. They would also have to be able to work with a CEO and/or DoF as well.