You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can't agree on all those points, a few are reasonably valid though.

I'm not so convinced Liverpool get such a raw deal... but I do believe they get less praise than they should.

It's hard to be objective about it... cos I'm no fan of Man U... but I do genuinely feel the media and elements of the footballing establishment favour a couple of clubs. Hard to prove, and it does sound a bit bitter, but still, I only had to listen to the commentary on the United game today to hear the 'come on United' between the lines.

I think Liverpool fans DO care what others think deep down. I can understand the 'why should we care what they think?' line, but when all is said and done, injustice is injustice and nobody likes others assuming your club and your fans are a certain 'type', and that events are all of your own making etc.

That's why a campaign for justice exists.... not so much for Liverpool folks to know the truth (most of it's known already), but for others to accept it and be made aware of it. That's about what OTHERS think... about putting right (not the best phrase) the wrong impressions.

I'm no much of a patriot. I have very mixed feelings about the pros and cons of it all, but I do think a National Anthem is simply a symbol paying homage to each nation and that's wrong to boo over it. Just my view, but still.

Abide with me is a religious hymn - yet folks seem to be all for that - even if not religious. Again, it's about respect I think and not so much about nationalism / royalism... respect for grandparents who fought through wars, respect for young lads coming home in coffins draped in the union flag.

I'd gladly shove a rocket up the FA's arse though.... I have qualms in anything that brings down that shower.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another point though... Abide with Me....

I wish they'd knock these singers on the head, and let the crowd sing it like they used to. Sends a chill up my spine thinking about it.

Sadly, fewer and fewer know the tune, and seem less inclined to sing it.

Maybe my old age is affecting my memory, but I'm certain they didn't have singers (just the marching band) and the crowd used to sing it better.

Am I wrong? (my memory's shot... I've blocked out a number of years of watching City!)

Its just a matter of respect. Im no fan of the England football team despite being English, but find booing the anthem disgraceful. If you dont like it, just shut up and ignore it, no need to boo it.

Football fans as a whole are growing more disrespectful by the year. Evidenced by a minority of Chelsea fans in the semi. I also find it infuriating that whenever a footballing figure dies these days, a stadium of fans is unable to put together a minute's silence now, it has to be a minute applause.

I'm a scouser and also served but they can stick their fake National pride up their hoops.

Nobody gives a shiny shit about this country. That's the problem.

John Terry will stand there beating his chest as he roars out the National Anthem, yet take the piss out of Americans in the aftermath of 9/11.

Probably the first time I've agreed with everything you've said.

Its just a matter of respect. Im no fan of the England football team despite being English, but find booing the anthem disgraceful. If you dont like it, just shut up and ignore it, no need to boo it.

Football fans as a whole are growing more disrespectful by the year. Evidenced by a minority of Chelsea fans in the semi. I also find it infuriating that whenever a footballing figure dies these days, a stadium of fans is unable to put together a minute's silence now, it has to be a minute applause.

Why not just knock it on the head then and save it for memorial services and such rather than using it as a stick to beat 'unruly' fans with at football matches?

They dont even have it at posh Rugby matches,they use Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory.

Fans are there to watch a football match that is made ever more difficult to watch by the same cunts who demand respect.

Respect is a two way street but towards the fans also.

On another point though... Abide with Me....

I wish they'd knock these singers on the head, and let the crowd sing it like they used to. Sends a chill up my spine thinking about it.

Sadly, fewer and fewer know the tune, and seem less inclined to sing it.

Maybe my old age is affecting my memory, but I'm certain they didn't have singers (just the marching band) and the crowd used to sing it better.

Am I wrong? (my memory's shot... I've blocked out a number of years of watching City!)

You are right, and proper, on every single count.

Can't you still be patriotic and boo the national anthem at Wembley?

Isn't it still possibly to love your country - its history and culture -while still disliking the political and ruling establishment, one you feel no affinity too?

All sounds a bit North Korea to me, this talk of taking personal offence at it.

Guest ShoePiss

I've sung ynwa through it before, I don't think I'd boo it though.

I stand through a national anthem every Timbers game, can't imagine what would happen if someone booed through that.

Can't you still be patriotic and boo the national anthem at Wembley?

Isn't it still possibly to love your country - its history, culture and majority of its people -while still disliking the political and ruling establishment, one you feel no affinity too?

All sounds a bit North Korea to me, this talk of taking personal offence at it.

Your a deep thinker lad,get a fekn job,have a family,and contribute to the system,and stop being fukn smart ass.

Then i'll listen.

Your a deep thinker lad,get a fekn job,have a family,and contribute to the system,and stop being fukn smart ass.

Then i'll listen.

You come across as quite dim. What has made you assume he has none of those or where you just guessing and hoping for the best?

This country is fucked from top to bottom yet people are getting worked up because their precious anthem was not observed in the way they wanted. The Royal Family, the Government, the local authorities and most of the scum that inhabit this island can all get to fuck. Sort that out and maybe people will regain some national pride and not utter distain for everything that song stands for.

You come across as quite dim. What has made you assume he has none of those or where you just guessing and hoping for the best?

Albert sounds old school, where they assumed that if you didn't sing the anthem it's because you were a Communist and therefore a student.

Saying that though, his use of the phrase 'smart ass', makes me think he's probably a wum.

I fully intend to. I live abroad for 5 months every year and it makes you realise how shit this fucking hole is and the gobshites that live here are fucking embarrassing.

You're a bit of a gobshite yourself.

Don't you go abroad as a Ketamine addled rep getting twatted with the rest of the 'brit's abroad' types?

Hardly like you're away soaking up other countries culture and trying to dispell the myth of the 'Gobshites that live here' to the locals.

That said the booing was funny as fuck.

Don't you go abroad as a Ketamine addled rep getting twatted with the rest of the 'brit's abroad' types?

Hardly like you're away soaking up other countries culture and trying to dispell the myth of the 'Gobshites that live here' to the locals.

That said the booing was funny as fuck.

Nope, I'm not a ketamine addled rep with the rest of the 'Brits abroad'. I'm an events co-ordinator who lives in a small village away from the touristy cunts when I'm abroad. I do actually take in the local culture and I hate the British. I stay out of San Antonio because it's a fucking embarrassment. The British are cunts by nature. The French, Italians, Germans and almost every other nationality we have at our events are never any trouble and always polite... The british are always pricks.

It's no myth either, they are gobshites.

Nope, I'm not a ketamine addled rep with the rest of the 'Brits abroad'. I'm an events co-ordinator who lives in a small village away from the touristy cunts when I'm abroad. I do actually take in the local culture and I hate the British. I stay out of San Antonio because it's a fucking embarrassment. The British are cunts by nature. The French, Italians, Germans and almost every other nationality we have at our events are never any trouble and always polite... The british are always pricks.

It's no myth either, they are gobshites.

Just going off your GF stories.

Kinda dissapointed now.

Your a deep thinker lad....

You'tre not. Negged. With your sparkling command of the written word I must express my surprise you can hold down a job. I can believe you have a family - mainly because I doubt you can read the instructions that come with the box of condoms.

Notice a lot of anti-monarchy comments on this subject.

Have to say I agree whole heartily, I'm American but I remember the way our press fawned over the "royal wedding" like I was supposed to give a shit about two privileged people flying about on a tour of North America which is heavily funded by people they shouldn't be getting one fucking bit of money from, who are then having an extravagant wedding funded by the same people I've just mentioned.

I get why people are saying it's disrespectful to boo it, but I have to say I sympathize far more with those explaining how it's not about your country in the first place and about a bunch of royals who don't care about you. I have nothing against England, I have a lot against the monarchy and monarchies in general, and before anyone brings up anything about America's government - I'm not a fan of those assholes either.

I just stayed sat through it.

I don't believe in God and I'm a Republican. What anthem should I sing?

Great. Dump a constitutional monarchy and replace it with an agenda driven president with a massive concentration of power.

No thanks.