You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don't feel English in any way. However, I thought the booing was distasteful. The national anthem does not mean a thing to me, I consider YNWA to be my anthem, but it means alot to a huge amount of people. Golden rule keep quiet and respect it rather than give the dickhead media another chance to throw shit at our club and city.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. It's fucking Grandad. I said it is, so it is. Any other spelling is wrong and if you think it isn't, then you are a fucking retard.

2. The French are indeed pretentious scum who enjoy fetching. I've have firsthand experience of them and their ways and they can all get fucked.

3. The British are scum and the Royal Family is a waste of oxygen. Getting rid of them is the first step to redemption and then we need to stage a mass revolt and overthrow the government and install one who genuinely answers to the people. When that is done, we clean up the country, take out the shite that brings this country down and then proclaim me to be your leader.

4. Can we purge the site of the uneducated and mentally abnormal. There seems to have been a huge influx of them lately.

I can understand people not liking the national anthem as it isn't the best one out their, but that isn't the reason people boo the national anthem. People boo it because they don't class themselves as English. People seem to believe they are more Irish in this city than English and while people may have Irish descendant then the chances are they arrived in the city about 100 years ago. These people where all born in England so that makes them English, even the actual Irish would class them as English, they would think they talk more like compo of last of the summer wine than a paddy. The Irish don't sit back and think that it is flattering that they seem to hang on to some long dead ancestor's nationality who they never met. They find it rather strange and it is a bit of a joke to them, and Ireland's tourism industry makes a fortune of Americans looking up their long lost ancestry. You will also find that most of these people have never even stepped foot in Ireland, yet they still seem to think that they are so Irish and so definitively not English that they can boo their own national anthem. We have much more to be proud of being British or English than the Irish do, and yes I do have Irish Ancestry, and yes I am proud of that ancestry, but I am still first and foremost English and proud.

(If the anthem was being booed because of the Chelsea fans booing and whistling during the minutes silence then ignore above).

1. It's fucking Grandad. I said it is, so it is. Any other spelling is wrong and if you think it isn't, then you are a fucking retard.

2. The French are indeed pretentious scum who enjoy fetching. I've have firsthand experience of them and their ways and they can all get fucked.

3. The British are scum and the Royal Family is a waste of oxygen. Getting rid of them is the first step to redemption and then we need to stage a mass revolt and overthrow the government and install one who genuinely answers to the people. When that is done, we clean up the country, take out the shite that brings this country down and then proclaim me to be your leader.

4. Can we purge the site of the uneducated and mentally abnormal. There seems to have been a huge influx of them lately.

Fuck me! Our loss is Spains gain!! Don't let the let the door hit you on the way out please!

I can understand people not liking the national anthem as it isn't the best one out their, but that isn't the reason people boo the national anthem. People boo it because they don't class themselves as English. People seem to believe they are more Irish in this city than English and while people may have Irish descendant then the chances are they arrived in the city about 100 years ago. These people where all born in England so that makes them English, even the actual Irish would class them as English, they would think they talk more like compo of last of the summer wine than a paddy. The Irish don't sit back and think that it is flattering that they seem to hang on to some long dead ancestor's nationality who they never met. They find it rather strange and it is a bit of a joke to them, and Ireland's tourism industry makes a fortune of Americans looking up their long lost ancestry. You will also find that most of these people have never even stepped foot in Ireland, yet they still seem to think that they are so Irish and so definitively not English that they can boo their own national anthem. We have much more to be proud of being British or English than the Irish do, and yes I do have Irish Ancestry, and yes I am proud of that ancestry, but I am still first and foremost English and proud.

(If the anthem was being booed because of the Chelsea fans booing and whistling during the minutes silence then ignore above).

I don't know anyone who's arsed about Ireland, I think that's well wide of the mark myself.

I also don't go in for the 'we're scouse not English' stuff either. The reason I'm not especially drawn to the anthem or the establishment is that I associate it with a London-centric regime and a false 'last night at the proms' style bluster. I certainly don't associate it with the kind of England I can associate with or which gives a particular shit about me or mine.

Just look at a political map of Britain to see why I don't especially give a toss, that's not to say I wouldn't pick up a gun if the Russians turned up though.

I don't know anyone who's arsed about Ireland, I think that's well wide of the mark myself.

I also don't go in for the 'we're scouse not English' stuff either. The reason I'm not especially drawn to the anthem or the establishment is that I associate it with a London-centric regime and a false 'last night at the proms' style bluster. I certainly don't associate it with the kind of England I can associate with or which gives a particular shit about me or mine.

Just look at a political map of Britain to see why I don't especially give a toss, that's not to say I wouldn't pick up a gun if the Russians turned up though.

I am was born in Liverpool 8 , and my family are from Scotland road and Bootle areas and are of Irish decent as are a lot of families in Liverpool. These families still talk about their Irish ancestry, and still class themselves as Irish, I know that seems strange, but it sort of creates a conflict in someones identity. I hear people like talk about themselves as being of Irish decent and also being of Irish blood and that is why I said what I said about people booing the anthem.

I read Brian Reade's book and noted you are living down south, I presume you are an ex pat. If the national anthem stirs feelings of toffs attending the last night of the proms then I am not going to disagree with you. I am sure there where people booing for that reason, but I will say that people were also booing as they see themselves as Irish before English.

For me it's nothing to do with thinking I'm English or not, although I most definitely am, it's the fact that the song is a homage to an institution I despise. Fuck the royal family, their hangers on and their fucking shit song. We're supposed to be living in a modern democracy, not a medieval fantasy land. Having a monarchy is the antithesis of a meritocracy. No matter how well you do or how high you rise there is always going to be a class of people who'll tell you they are better than you by accident of birth. It doesn't help that the vast majority of the monarchy are as thick as pig shit.

For me it's nothing to do with thinking I'm English or not, although I most definitely am, it's the fact that the song is a homage to an institution I despise. Fuck the royal family, their hangers on and their fucking shit song. We're supposed to be living in a modern democracy, not a medieval fantasy land. Having a monarchy is the antithesis of a meritocracy. No matter how well you do or how high you rise there is always going to be a class of people who'll tell you they are better than you by accident of birth. It doesn't help that the vast majority of the monarchy are as thick as pig shit.

I don't see things the same way as you, but I do disagree as I think your logic is flawed. I don't want to get into an argument over it as we are all entitled to our own opinions, but I wasn't ever aware that the Royal Family ever thought of themselves as being better than us.

Over 60 odd million British and 60 odd million French are scum, your not and i'm a mong for disagreeing with you ok mate. Whilst your sat there pissed off with the world trying to find something to hate the Spanish for in the summer i'll be here celebrating the Queens Diamond Jubilee, each to there own!

Did Brian Reade say I was living down south? How could he possibly know this?

You got the email of Hicks junior did you not, and if it was you then I am sure you live in the south east just outside London, and you had just got up one Saturday morning.

If i have got you mixed up them please forgive.

Guest ShoePiss
You got the email of Hicks junior did you not, and if it was you then I am sure you live in the south east just outside London, and you had just got up one Saturday morning.

blow me fuck face, go to hell. I'm sick of you.

You have most definitely got them mixed up. StevieH no longer posts on here. Unless he has an alias of which I am unaware.

The national anthem is just words. They mean fuck all. The NZ national anthem says "God defend New Zealand". A lot of people there don't believe in god but they belt it out anyway.

If you don't like the Queen, all good, I'm not that fussed either, but don't boo the anthem - just stay silent. It's lame and embarrassing. I hate it when England fans do it and it was awful hearing it from Liverpool fans also, however they justify it.

We Liverpudlians have a history of biting the hand that feeds us.

I'm no fan of the royals, and I do not like the national anthem one bit, but it's easier not to sing it that boo it.

I'd feel slightly easier about this 'we're not English, we're scouse' if we weren't dependent on the rest of the country to feed, clothe and house us.

Guest ShoePiss
The national anthem is just words. They mean fuck all. The NZ national anthem says "God defend New Zealand". A lot of people there don't believe in god but they belt it out anyway.

If you don't like the Queen, all good, I'm not that fussed either, but don't boo the anthem - just stay silent. It's lame and embarrassing. I hate it when England fans do it and it was awful hearing it from Liverpool fans also, however they justify it.

I agree here, the back story no matter how legitimate it may be isn't heard. Just the booing which makes everyone look quite bad.

My reasons for singing YNWA through the national anthem in the past haven't come from feeling more Irish than English or a real hatred of the Royal family just that we always done things our way and never do things on command. We're a bit anti-establishment and like to lead rather than follow.

We Liverpudlians have a history of biting the hand that feeds us.

I'm no fan of the royals, and I do not like the national anthem one bit, but it's easier not to sing it that boo it.

I'd feel slightly easier about this 'we're not English, we're scouse' if we weren't dependent on the rest of the country to feed, clothe and house us.

Anyone could say that though couldn't they to be fair? The Scottish could say its 'their' North sea oil, the Welsh could say it was their coal in times gone by that kept the railways going, Sheffield could say it was its steel which built our battleships. Liverpool's status as a port city is legendary.

The economic engine now is undoubtedly London but it wasn't always so. Traditionally the North produced the wealth and the south owned it. It's a parasite.

Besides which maybe we'd all be a bit better off if the Queen and her countless cousins, Lords, and the MOD gave us all some of our land back. The Duchy of Cornwall estate for example, could probably produce a good few dozen millionaires tomorrow if it was taken off Charles, who's done nothing to earn it. I think percentage wise nowhere in the world is so much of the land owned by so few.

Anyone could say that though couldn't they to be fair? The Scottish could say its 'their' North sea oil, the Welsh could say it was their coal in times gone by that kept the railways going, Sheffield could say it was its steel which built our battleships. Liverpool's status as a port city is legendary.

The economic engine now is undoubtedly London but it wasn't always so. Traditionally the North produced the wealth and the south owned it. It's a parasite.

Besides which maybe we'd all be a bit better off if the Queen and her countless cousins, Lords, and the MOD gave us all some of our land back. The Duchy of Cornwall estate for example, could probably produce a good few dozen millionaires tomorrow if it was taken off Charles, who's done nothing to earn it. I think percentage wise nowhere in the world is so much of the land owned by so few.

London is not the only self-sustaining part of the country Mark. We would have had a strong claim to be independent, and 'leaders', as another poster put it. Not these days. Not for a long time. I agree with your sentiment about the Royals, but I can't be doing with booing the national anthem. Not when I know there's a significant proportion of the people of my city dependent on the state for their survival.

It's all a bit parochial as well. No-one else gives a fuck, except when Liverpool presents an other opportunity to be ridiculed, they take the opportunity to ridicule it. Just like they would if it was Newcastle, or Leeds, or some other part of the country seen by the ignorant as slightly backwards and unwashed. That is the reality of it.

London is not the only self-sustaining part of the country Mark. We would have had a strong claim to be independent, and 'leaders', as another poster put it. Not these days. Not for a long time. I agree with your sentiment about the Royals, but I can't be doing with booing the national anthem. Not when I know there's a significant proportion of the people of my city dependent on the state for their survival.

It's all a bit parochial as well. No-one else gives a fuck, except when Liverpool presents an other opportunity to be ridiculed, they take the opportunity to ridicule it. Just like they would if it was Newcastle, or Leeds, or some other part of the country seen by the ignorant as slightly backwards and unwashed. That is the reality of it.

A very good post, that.