You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is the better right back?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better right back?

• Kelly
    • Johnson
    • Nothing in it

When can we officially announe that scousers have found their new can-do-no-wrong we are totally blind to reality local hero in succession to Carra?

Can someone also answer me this? What would have happened on here if Stewart Downing had he missed the sitter Kelly missed against Arsenal?

anyway here goes my tuppence worth........

We will never win a league if we have players of Martin Kellys ability still playing in our team as fullbacks.

When can we officially announe that scousers have found their new can-do-no-wrong we are totally blind to reality local hero in succession to Carra? Can someone also answer me this? What would have happened on here if Stewart Downing had he missed the sitter Kelly missed against Arsenal? anyway here goes my tuppence worth........

We will never win a league if we have players of Martin Kellys ability still playing in our team as fullbacks.

agree with the downing bit but the rest of that post is the work of a turnip.

When can we officially announe that scousers have found their new can-do-no-wrong we are totally blind to reality local hero in succession to Carra?

Can someone also answer me this? What would have happened on here if Stewart Downing had he missed the sitter Kelly missed against Arsenal?

No we'll win fuck all if we play him as centre forward

I disagree. I think Martin Kelly is a very good fullback and an okay wing-back. He is sound positionally and is composed on the ball.

He isn't a striker, why would we lambast him for missing a sitter?

Though many Liverpool fans are culprits of blind loyalty WRT Carragher, I don't think their support of Kelly is the same.

Are you the nugget who said Downing has been one of our best players this season?

Why? is that when you're going to decide to start a thread slagging off a Liverpool legend?

I wouldn’t go near as far as Soleilrouge has gone because I think Kelly is a good footballer, but I do to an extent agree with the sentiment in his post. Kelly has been poor in a few games this season, good in others, and now had his best game for us on Tuesday where he was very good. And surer then shite people are now saying we need to sell Johnson and play Kelly all the time. It is ridicules. Kelly needs a lot more time. He will also come up against a lot better teams then Everton were on Tuesday.

Yes he is not a striker, but that miss against Arsenal was truly woeful as was his miss against Everton where he totally misjudged the ball. A professional footballer needs to be scoring those. And while Carra takes the brunt of the blame for RVPs second, Kelly also has to take some for not pressing in.

Kelly has the makings of a very good footballer for us, but when Johnson is fit he slots back in there as he is simply a better player at the moment. I think Kelly could be very good though, but at the moment he is inconsistent and can lose his player far too easily at times. But he’ll learn that.

The last thing Kelly needs is for us to be lauding him as the man now and piling the pressure on like we tend to do with local players.

Kelly is progressing well but he is caught out of position at times and doesn't follow runners off the ball that well yet.

I really hate it when people condense my rambling posts into one line and actually manage to say more in that one line then I mumbled in 20!

But yeah, what he said.

For what it's worth, I think Johnson's defending has improved immeasurably since Dalglish took over but his much vaunted attacking side has disappeared a bit.

He also looks to me to be a bit bulkier and to have lost a bit of pace.

He gets into class positions for a right back,and could score score a few goals over a season,brilliant defender,rarely gets beaten,good in the air and dangerous going forward.Needs to work on his crossing but that will come.

No offence mate, but this is exactly what I mean. He isn’t a brilliant defender yet. He’s shown that he can be at times, but he makes quite a few elementary errors that can cost us matches by getting turned far too easily and losing players. And while this is to be expected of a young defender, it still confirms he’s got a long way to go yet. Also, if he is to become a right back who likes to get forward like Johnson that his finishing has to massively improve.

I don't want to talk the guy down as he has it to make it at the top level, but I also don't want him talked up as the be all and end all just yet.

Fucking laughable that soleilrouge post. He's 21 years old. He's in and out the team due to injury and having Englands first choice right back in front of him who has been playing well.

When he does come in, he's looked more than comfortable. He has made the odd mistake and has missed a few sitters but he's a fucking 21 year old right back for fucks sake. Not everyone is going to be Cafu in their first game you fucking crank. Jamie Carragher went on to being one of the best centre halves in European football for a few years and comparing him to Kelly I would say it would have appeared at the time he had about half Kelly's ability at 21. Out of all the youngsters we have I'd say Kelly is the most likely to be a success at Liverpool.

The attacking side of his game has come on leaps and bounds. He was very 1-dimensional last year, so I think I know where soleilrouge is coming from. But this year he's really started to mix it up and if he can improve his link-up play with the forwards, he'll be a proper full back, like Johnson, and not just a converted CH.

He's not as good as Johnson at full back, probably never will be. He would be good enough to win a league with though, and if he keeps working with Clarke I think the natural progression for him should be to eventually become a centre half of top 4 quality (think he played there for ressies/England U21's?)

Does Johnson's late winner at Chelsea compensate for losing Rooney at a corner for United's first goal last month? Kelly probably wouldn't have scored the goal, nor would he have lost Shrek so easily though. Personally I would shade it for GJ at the moment but Kelly is clearly an animal player. I used to be one of the voices for Johnson at right mid but I think that train has left town now so we should all just forget about it and be thankful we have two quality right backs for now.

do you remember carra's first few years for us?? doubt it!!!!

Fucking laughable that soleilrouge post. He's 21 years old. He's in and out the team due to injury and having Englands first choice right back in front of him who has been playing well.

When he does come in, he's looked more than comfortable. He has made the odd mistake and has missed a few sitters but he's a fucking 21 year old right back for fucks sake. Not everyone is going to be Cafu in their first game you fucking crank. Jamie Carragher went on to being one of the best centre halves in European football for a few years and comparing him to Kelly I would say it would have appeared at the time he had about half Kelly's ability at 21. Out of all the youngsters we have I'd say Kelly is the most likely to be a success at Liverpool.

He talks utter shite at the best of times. Like my aforementioned post stated he genuinely believes downing has been a standout performer this season.

"The Horror.....The Horror"