You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Edinburgh, Glasgow

setreal

From the 1st to the 4th of March I'll be going on a press tour to Scotland, namely Edinburgh and Glasgow. I've never been there, I did however eat haggis once so I kinda know what to expect. I don't know the full schedule yet, but I guess I'll have some free time to go and have a beer or ten. Any tips on where the groovy folks go, or places to avoid like the plague?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too fussed on the quality as it will mainly be used for making sex noises.

You sure? Central, car parking, cheap combo might be tricky. Cant think of any right in the centre of town but off the top of my head there is the Holiday Inn Express at Leith (Ocean terminal) Good range of eating and drinking options within walking distance but you would probably want to get a bus into the city centre (its a small town kidding itself its a city really) for the sites / shopping / other eating drinking.

There's also a Holiday Inn (Queensferry Road?) which I'm sure has parking and its an easy walk / bus ride into town from there.

Contrary to Mr Mint I dont rate the Royal Mile...a bit tacky and touristy..but cant be avoided if you're planning to visit the castle and the old town area. Way better places for eating and drinking.

I'll keep thinking

The car parking is the tricky part...not that many 'budget' hotels in the centre of town with car parking. And parking in the centre of town is expensive with most roadside parking now metered too. Are you committed to coming by car (I know I always like to have the flexibility) You could always leave your car round ours (the boundary for parking restrictions) and get the bus /taxi into town.

Ditch the car and the choices become much greater

The car parking is the tricky part...not that many 'budget' hotels in the centre of town with car parking. And parking in the centre of town is expensive with most roadside parking now metered too. Are you committed to coming by car (I know I always like to have the flexibility) You could always leave your car round ours (the boundary for parking restrictions) and get the bus /taxi into town.

Ditch the car and the choices become much greater

Sound, the quality thing I can go either way on, will look into this some more

Sound, the quality thing I can go either way on, will look into this some more

For starters, George St for boutique hotels and bars, most of the larger chain, budget /mid range hotels are around the old town area, look out for the Royal Mile, Grassmarket, George IV Bridge addresses

Low maintenance, need a hotel central to all the good stuff with car parking. Not too fussed on the quality as it will mainly be used for making sex noises.

'kin hell, seems i've done more then pull on the valentine thread.

I've booked a camping pod, it's just got to be used before June, I also think i should get to know you a bit better first?

If its Glasgow,you will find cheaper hotels all within walking distance of city centre but with the exception of bath st, it's shit. Go for the west end ( subway to hillhead) smashin pubs / good food places. Edinburgh i would suggest the Apex city hotel good location and cheap for edinburgh. Would say avoid the mile and go for the grassmarket area.