You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

The fact no'one could finish makes Downing look worse than he was he was decent. And im sure hell have a good season next one.

what is decent about cutting inside and passing to a centre midfielder or back to Enrique every time you get the ball? he is a decent player (not 20million) when he gets at his man and puts crosses in but he has been woeful and played like a total coward for us

Unfortunately we need to offload Maxi, Aquilani, Cole, Spearing and Adam. Which will probably prove too difficult as I bet one or two will only leave once the contracts have elapsed.

If another club was interested in Downing i'd be prepared to offload him too.

Carra should be moved on into a coaching capacity.

We need another CB, LB, CM who can defend and attack, RW, LW and CF.

We need at least 6 players to add to the squad to supplement them with Robinson, Sterling, Suso, Flanagan and Coady.

Absolutely crucial transfer window to rectify the mistakes from the last one.

Unfortunately we need to offload Maxi, Aquilani, Cole, Spearing and Adam. Which will probably prove too difficult as I bet one or two will only leave once the contracts have elapsed.

We need at least 6 players to add to the squad to supplement them with Robinson, Sterling, Suso, Flanagan and Coady.

All joking aside how can you say we need a LB and a CB, we don't need any defenders

All joking aside how can you say we need a LB and a CB, we don't need any defenders

Because I think Carra is past it and if Agger gets injured and something happens to Skrtle of Coates i.e suspension or another injury then who will play?

Do you think Coady is ready to step up against Prem opposition or should he be given an opportunity in Carling to show he is capable.

Wilson is not good enough and will probably leave.

Left back is obvious for me. If Enrique is out of form or injured then is Robinson strong enough for a run in the team? Ok worst case scenario play Johnson on the left and Kelly on the right or even Agger out left. But I wouldn't want to effect the balance and think it will be more prudent to purchase another left back to compete for the 1st team position to give Robinson some time to prove his capability.

Theres no rectifying that any time soon , those transfers put us back years , said it last season as others did and stick by it.

Had we done it right last summer (and Carroll money) we could of easily of made top 4 and this summer been in a great postion going into this season just needing to add 1 or 2 quality touches to our squad , and possibly being in the CL would be able to attract the better players.

........ instead we still need wingers , centre midfielders and a striker and are further away from the top 4 than we have ever been.

Fucking criminal our transfer buisness of the last 18 months.

Robinson is more than decent cover, Johnson can play there, kelly can play there. If we bring in a LB what's that gona say to Robinson a lad who's already proved he can do it at 1st team level

Demonstrating a handful of good performances in a team playing with good form is not proving he can do it consistently. For me he needs to do it more with a run of games in the Carling and FA cups.

Theres no rectifying that any time soon , those transfers put us back years , said it last season as others did and stick by it.

Had we done it right last summer (and Carroll money) we could of easily of made top 4 and this summer been in a great postion going into this season just needing to add 1 or 2 quality touches to our squad , and possibly being in the CL would be able to attract the better players.

........ instead we still need wingers , centre midfielders and a striker and are further away from the top 4 than we have ever been.

Fucking criminal our transfer buisness of the last 18 months.

Agreed but I still think if we moved on the players I listed earlier and with 30M transfer funds from FSG we will be able to rectify a fair bit to at least challenge for 4th position. But if sign 5 players then at least 4 of them will need to fit in and contribute straight away otherwise we risk dropping further away.......

Because I think Carra is past it and if Agger gets injured and something happens to Skrtle of Coates i.e suspension or another injury then who will play?

Do you think Coady is ready to step up against Prem opposition or should he be given an opportunity in Carling to show he is capable.

Wilson is not good enough and will probably leave.

Left back is obvious for me. If Enrique is out of form or injured then is Robinson strong enough for a run in the team? Ok worst case scenario play Johnson on the left and Kelly on the right or even Agger out left. But I wouldn't want to effect the balance and think it will be more prudent to purchase another left back to compete for the 1st team position to give Robinson some time to prove his capability.

Yes Robinson is strong enough for the 1st team and has already proved it. Coady isn't a CB so don't see why you mentioned him, we have 3 current international CB and Carra and Martin Kelly who can play there, we're more than covered in all defensive positions, IMO we need a RW and another striker as a priority and anything else is a bonus, absolutely ludicrous to suggest we need another 1st team LB on the probability something might happen, what's the point of youth development if that's the attitude, Robinson and Enrique will be battling to be 1st choice this season IMO

Demonstrating a handful of good performances in a team playing with good form is not proving he can do it consistently. For me he needs to do it more with a run of games in the Carling and FA cups.

So playing well when called upon isn't proven he can do it, FFS what is then, he's a year older and stronger now and more than ready.

So if we buy this other LB you want and Robinson plays cup games, Enrique plays league, when does new lad play or is it another transfer fee and £50k a week to sit in stands?

Yes Robinson is strong enough for the 1st team and has already proved it. Coady isn't a CB so don't see why you mentioned him, we have 3 current international CB and Carra and Martin Kelly who can play there, we're more than covered in all defensive positions, IMO we need a RW and another striker as a priority and anything else is a bonus, absolutely ludicrous to suggest we need another 1st team LB on the probability something might happen, what's the point of youth development if that's the attitude, Robinson and Enrique will be battling to be 1st choice this season IMO

How do we know Robinson is reliable enough though? Flanagan made even more of an impact than him in hia first season but Flanagan was an accident waiting to happen last season in the small amount of time he had on the pitch.

And Robinson I'm sure missed most of last season with injuries.

Calm down TP. You feel strongly that he is ready, i'm not so sure, he is only been called once and wasn't called upon last season when Enrique was playing badly. I'm not sure why but if he was available then why was Johnson asked to play there? IMO he needs to be introduced with care which I think Kenny was doing. For what its worth I think he is a fantastic prospect.

I don't think it is a crucial position to cover like some of the others I listed but nevertheless one that if the opportunity arises is one that I think we should look at.

How do we know Robinson is reliable enough though? Flanagan made even more of an impact than him in hia first season but Flanagan was an accident waiting to happen last season in the small amount of time he had on the pitch.

And Robinson I'm sure missed most of last season with injuries.

But how will we ever know unless the lad gets a chance, we don't need a LB, even Johnson can play there, I personally think Robinson is a much better player than flanaghan who we should loan out as he won't be getting ahead of Johnson and kelly anytime soon

Robinson should be loaned out. He's 18 years old and really isn't ready to be our second choice left back yet. A major injury to Enrique would put far too much pressure on him, no injuries at all and Robinson probably doesn't play. He's an excellent young prospect who needs regular football. A Championship side that plays decent football would be perfect for him. Some cover/competition for Enrique this season would make sense, its not compulsory that we buy someone completely fucking shit and/or on a seven year contract.

Flanagan should go out on loan as well.

Forgetting Robinson we have 4 proven quality CBs, one who played LB many times. We have 3 top shelf FBs and Flanno.

Have a look at the state of the rest of the team. The priorities are elsewhere. Any body suggesting there is going to be a turnover of 5 or 6 players that are involved in the first team is off the mark.

As has been said for the last umpteen years at this time, buy one or two great players. Not marginal upgrades from what we have, not some guy who "just in case" - one or two squad changing players.

But how will we ever know unless the lad gets a chance, we don't need a LB, even Johnson can play there, I personally think Robinson is a much better player than flanaghan who we should loan out as he won't be getting ahead of Johnson and kelly anytime soon

I understand where you're coming from mate, I'm not sure we need another left back either, its just I wouldn't dismiss it straight away. What with Kelly and Johnson's injury record (they almost always miss a chunk of the season) plus with Robinson having a bad season last season in terms of injuries. It could've been just an unlucky season for him or there could be a pattern emerging with him. Plus our other option at left back outside of Enrique, Agger, is hardly known for staying fit throughout the season.