You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FIFA say no to England side wearing Poppies on shirts

Antynwa

Fifa has again rejected the Football Association's request for the England team to wear poppies on their shirts during Saturday's game against Spain.

The FA had asked for permission to wear poppies to support Remembrance Day.

But Fifa said: "Such initiatives would open the door to similar initiatives from all over the world, jeopardising the neutrality of football."

Football's world governing body decrees that shirts should not carry political, religious or commercial messages.

Continue reading the main story

The British public feel very strongly about this issue - it is not religious or political in any way

Hugh Robertson

Minister for Sport and the Olympics

Fifa has allowed a period of silence to be held prior to England's friendly against world champions Spain at Wembley, which takes place the day before Remembrance Sunday.

England will also wear poppies on their training kit, and on Friday they will stand for a two-minute silence.

Earlier on Tuesday, Sports Minister Hugh Robertson wrote to Fifa seeking permission for the England and Wales teams to wear poppies.

Robertson said: "Wearing a poppy is a display of national pride, just like wearing your country's football shirt.

"The British public feel very strongly about this issue - it is not religious or political in any way."

British Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce added: "I think there has to be a bit of common sense used when requests like this come in.

Continue reading the main story

England team should wear poppies on Saturday. It's the nation's tradition and it would be disrespectful not to

Jack Wilshere

"Armistice Day is a very important day in the FA calendar, as it is with other associations, and I don't think it would offend anybody to have a poppy on the shirts."

England midfielder Jack Wilshere tweeted: "My great-grandad fought for this country in WW2 and I'm sure a lot of people's grandparents did.

"England team should wear poppies on Saturday. It's the nation's tradition and it would be disrespectful not to."

BBC Sport - Fifa rejects FA's requests for England to wear poppies

funny_derp_pictures_640_14.jpg

A Fifa Executive this morning

FIFA have made it quite clear that they are not directing it at England, simply ensuring that they don't set a precedent that allows other nations to make requests. They stated that football should remain neutral. There is nothing wrong with the decision. Everyone is being treated with an even hand. Only British tabloid Inglanderr paranoia, and screaming little girls, seem to think there is.

Fuck all wrong with that decision.

If they were allowed to do it, it sets a precedent for every country to put a symbol that is important to them on their shirt.

Why don't the FA just give money to the Poppy appeal instead of putting them on their shirts?

There is everything wrong with that decision.

How is respecting those who fought for our very freedoms a dangerous precedent?

Robertson said: "Wearing a poppy is a display of national pride, just like wearing your country's football shirt."

Fucking incredible that... what an idiot.

The poppy - a symbol of memorial, reminding us of the sacrifice and waste of a generation as a result of an aristocrat's power struggle (and the business/imperial interests connected).

The England shirt - a white piece of cloth people sometimes wear when playing football, more usually worn down the pub by cunts.

• Upvote 1

Why is everyone arsed now? What about the other 66 years we haven't had a poppy on the England shirt.

DERP DERP England tabloid Journos

Bollocks. How many of those up in arms about this will be going to a memorial service on Sunday? No, some trumped up jingoism around a football game is more important than actually respecting the dead and spending a few minutes giving thought to those young men who died.

Why is everyone arsed now? What about the other 66 years we haven't had a poppy on the England shirt.

DERP DERP England tabloid Journos

You can say that about anything. I don't see whats wrong in our National Side paying their respects like that. It's nothing to do with tabloids, nothing to do with little England or any other stereotype or generalisation you might wish to throw at the situation. It's a simple gesture remembering those who fought for our freedoms from a very young age, and those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. Tell me, what is wrong with that?

What gives a bunch of jumped up corrupt bastards the right to tell anyone they cannot respect those who died for their country.

It's a national symbol and for 90 fucking minutes is it the worst thing in the world to ask that a 3 inch poppy be put on the England shirt? Christ.

For FIFA to preach about being neutral is rich as well.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing we are really talking about Germany, Japan and Argentina. Why not ask them if they are offended?

Unless it means we open the flood doors and have to talk to Iraq, Afghanistan, US, France, Holland, Spain and N. Korea as well.

Ireland and India aswell...

Given some of you have quoted Antonia, I'm curious to know where the word 'dangerous' comes from. I've not seen anyone use it, either in quotes in the articles I've read online, or on here.

Am I right to assume that once again, by using the phrase 'dangerous precedent' Antonia is adding a dash of his own special melodrama to the argument?

I'm guessing we are really talking about Germany, Japan and Argentina. Why not ask them if they are offended?

Unless it means we open the flood doors and have to talk to Iraq, Afghanistan, US, France, Holland, Spain and N. Korea as well.

Remembrance Sunday is about remembering the end of the first world war, hence the poppy. They are laid at war memorials as well and town halls and it isn't directly linked to other wards which you may mention.

It is linked to the Royal British Legion, but once more. Unless you think helping and supporting those who come home with their limbs blown off is another bad idea.

Their logic is sound, its unfortunate, but if they allow it they could be opening themselves up to all sorts of trouble in the future. Its simple, National teams should just wear their kit. Nothing more.

The people who fought and died will always be remembered and respected for all their sacrifices. They don't need a football game to prove it.

Which wars are poppies commemorting, Ant?

And how many of them were fought to be, or remain, free?

They originally commemorated the first world war. We wear poppies around this time to remember the end of WW1. The funds however go to the Royal British Legion who help support families and those who have gone to war.

Once more Paul. Is this a bad thing? Once more, I don't see what is wrong in the national side raising awareness for a national charity, who helps ordinary men and women who come home from far flung fucking countries half dead.

Secondly. I don't see whats wrong in remembering the principle reason we wear poppies around this time, I.E remembering the end of WW1.

Why didn't you say anything when Liverpool had them on their shirts Rob?

I dont care about it. I couldnt care if England had them on their shirts. What pisses me off is the attitude that some of the journo's are taking. They are acting like paranoid women and all their short of saying 'is it because I is English'.

The last time I checked it was a personal choice whether one wanted to wear it. I have no problem with anyone who wants to wear one, its their personal choice, I dont like what the British army have done over the years (especially in my country) and therefore I wouldnt wear one myself. But the way some are going on saying it is an outrage that FIFA arent allowing the England team to wear it, when in reality they are just sticking by their rules and they arent budging. There is nothing wrong with it.

• Upvote 1

Oh come on, raising awareness?

They seem to have managed quite well for the previous decades.

And if the Daily Mail vehemently want it, then I vehemently oppose it.

Raising awareness, showing respect. Call it what you want but it's a touching way of doing it and I don't see what harm it will do. This has nothing to do with the Daily Mail or any other extreme right wing view. It's a symbol of remembrance for those who died for our country, particularly those who died in WW1.

We can go on about the wars justified or not that have been fought in our name, and there have been a few. But to simply sweep it under the carpet and FORGET that children have lost fathers fighting for stuff that we take for granted, and to be told we can't have a poppy on the shirt for 90 minutes is a bit of a fucking piss take don't you think? Regardless of the justification of wars, those feelings lie with the politicians, not with those who fight for those politicians.

Consider that the Liverpool game this weekend probably would have got more views than the England game this weekend, especially around the world I don't see the outrage that people had with Liverpool, as they do with those who want it on the national shirt.

To wear the poppy is a matter of choice, I wear the poppy when I remember to, but to be told by an organisation like FIFA that a country cannot simply have a symbol of remembrance on their shirt is a bit naff don't you think?

The poppy is not evil

The poppy is not offensive

I dont care about it. I couldnt care if England had them on their shirts. What pisses me off is the attitude that some of the journo's are taking. They are acting like paranoid women and all their short of saying 'is it because I is English'.

The last time I checked it was a personal choice whether one wanted to wear it. I have no problem with anyone who wants to wear one, its their personal choice, I dont like what the British army have done over the years (especially in my country) and therefore I wouldnt wear one myself. But the way some are going on saying it is an outrage that FIFA arent allowing the England team to wear it, when in reality they are just sticking by their rules and they arent budging. There is nothing wrong with it.

Yeah but it's a fucking shit rule is it not? I don't think it's because I'm English, I'm not arsed about the England squad or how they do. What I am arsed about is being told that they can't have the poppy on their shirt.

It's an outrage that a country cannot respect it's dead. Especially those who died in the world wars.