You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pepe talked out of leaving by his wife in January

Randy Marsh

Do people who criticise Carra & Stevie mockingly calling them the "Scouse Heartbeat" amongst other things etc have the same issues with Kenny Dalglish then considering he took a job under the H&G regime, if that really is their issue with Carra & Stevie in any case?

If it was or is their only issue with those players then why haven't they slaughtered Kenny for the same?

Because Kenny was expendable compared to Carragher and Gerrard and would've lost his job if he spoke out against them.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Kenny was expendable compared to Carragher and Gerrard and would've lost his job if he spoke out against them.

But he still took a job under their regime. Are the same people who go out of their way to criticise two legends for not speaking out against H&G are they two-faced enough not to criticise Kenny for taking a position under their ownership?

Two interesting points.

There is no evidence to suggest that Purslow was on RBS’s payroll. I think there is much evidence to suggest that he was there as someone in whom RBS “had confidence” in. That he was a fan made things worse, not better – as he played Football Manager, for real. The lack of football knowledge back then at Board level was frightening. Worryingly, it is not much better now, although the overall upgrade in good practise is clear.

Whilst it doesn't prove anything i would imagine that the fact Purslow remained at the club after publically speaking against Hicks and Gillett in the infamous meeting with SOS suggest to me that the then owners did not have authority over him.

We all know what Hicks is like and i doubt very much he would allow someone to question him and let him carry on in his position of power had he got the authority to sack him.

I dare say the other people who could have removed Purslow were RBS themselves.

Do people who criticise Carra & Stevie mockingly calling them the "Scouse Heartbeat" amongst other things etc have the same issues with Kenny Dalglish then considering he took a job under the H&G regime, if that really is their issue with Carra & Stevie in any case?

If it was or is their only issue with those players then why haven't they slaughtered Kenny for the same?

99% of the RAWKites spastics who mock Jamie and Stevie aren't scouse, and so find it easy to use mocking terms like "Scouse heartbeat" because they're cunts.

I hope this helps.

But he still took a job under their regime. Are the same people who go out of their way to criticise two legends for not speaking out against H&G are they two-faced enough not to criticise Kenny for taking a position under their ownership?

I will,

Kenny along with Gerrard and Carragher should have spoken out more against the owners,

If Kenny had opened his mouth it would have had the same effect as

"Moses parting the sea"

All those that had their head in the sand thinking everything was "Kosher" would have woken up earlier to the plight of the club,

Do soft cunts on here, with the benefit of hindsight,

not realise that the club was losing £100k a fuckin day in interest and still blaming the manager

Their issues extend far beyond just not speaking out. And unlike Kenny they were not canny enough in how they handled the situation which is what allowed him to emerge from that period unscathed and them otherwise.

Admittedly, Kenny was never setup by the press in the way they were, but still he managed to frame his involvement as incidental, as being part of a solution, as being separate from the regime, etc.

IMO with hindsight, it looks like Kenny was playing the long game whereas others none at all.

All this "not the Liverpool way" shite pisses me off when in the context of the G&H era. What good would the Liverpool Way have been if we got put into administration? Should SOS and other groups have not protested because it's not TLW? We were fighting for the future existence of the football club - so how is sitting back and saying/doing nothing, or just blaming the manager (which is what the majority did in reality) the Liverpool Way? It's bullshit. It all turned out okay in the end, thank fuck, but no thanks to the apathy of so many.

The fact is only the players themselves (and Kenny as well) can tell you why they did or didn't speak out against the last owners. They would have had their reasons, but we don't know what they were.

There's a difference between fans protesting and the fucking player's, I didn't want to see any of our players speaking out against the owners, personally, it would have had no bearing at all on the future of the club, especially not when they were fucking woeful on the opitch week in week out. It was quite clear that nobody was happy with the owners, what kind of deluded fool would think anything to the contrary ?? as I said what Pepe said was nothing of great substence whatsoever and I felt it was necessary for himself to make it public what his feelings were as he was strongly considering his future.

It depends what's in it for them John, although you have to laugh at such an embarrassingly, insulting, ill formed comment from someone so small time.

I will,

Kenny along with Gerrard and Carragher should have spoken out more against the owners,

If Kenny had opened his mouth it would have had the same effect as

"Moses parting the sea"

All those that had their head in the sand thinking everything was "Kosher" would have woken up earlier to the plight of the club,

Do soft cunts on here, with the benefit of hindsight,

not realise that the club was losing £100k a fuckin day in interest and still blaming the manager

John I get all that totally but my point isn't anything to do with that. At least you aren't being two-faced about it and you can say that for the right reasons.

My point is the people who declared open season on Carra and Stevie didn't do the the same on Kenny. Baffling. Almost makes you think there is a different motive for them doing that.....hmmm.

I read most of the book last night. It seems to me that:

1) There was no real disagreement between Reina and Carragher/Gerrard, just a different approach

2) Reina thought that Benitez had to go, his time had passed, and the dressing room was split

3) Reina also considers Benitez the best manager he has worked with

4) And finally, Reina considered both Purslow and Hodgson as wrong people for their jobs

Nothing really new there, and nothing I'd disagree with. The little insights about players (Arteta and Cahill being his good mates) and life in La Masia were interesting.

Carra and Stevie never spoke out because they were brought up to believe that Liverpool football club is a place of honour and fucking dignity and getting into public slanging matches with ANYBODY is quite simply not The Liverpool Way, that and the fact we were fucking woeful on the pitch and the 7th in the league, that was NOT the owners fault. Say what you want about Carra but he would not for one minute try to shy away from any responsibility for his own failing or do anything that would for one minute suggest that. As far as memory serves Reina said very little and when he did speak out and I was of the opinion it was very much in his own interest to display how unhappy he was at the club at that time.

I really don’t want to argue with you over this mate so I’m not to start a back and forth as I respect your opinion and understand what you are trying to say here. It’s just that I think it is wrong and it’s just making excuses to an extent for the (in my opinion) totally unacceptable way quite a few very important past and present Liverpool players acted.

Staying silent out of some misplaced idea about it not being “The Liverpool Way” is the worst thing that people could have done. Thank God the fans in the fantastic groups like Kop faithful, and even just the ones who helped hand out leaflets, or pass the word of what was happening or marched or stayed behind and protested or sent e-mail after e-mail didn’t have some dumb idea about “The Liverpool Way” meaning they had to stay silent. During the times it was all falling apart in the background but you still had so many Liverpool fans saying how they’d bought us Torres and so they were alright, that was when we needed people of the calibre of Gerrard and Carragher to stand up and take one for the club. They should have voiced their significant disapproval of what was going on. Telling a small gathering of people at a private function, while good, was of no real use as it was preaching to the converted. I felt let down to an extent by Carra and Stevie with regards to that part of their Liverpool story. I think it would have taken a level of bravery for them to stand up and say something given they were current employees, but I felt they should have as it would have swayed so many fans who were on the fence or just didn’t care. I also felt the same about Dalglish if I’m honest. I thought the time had come for them to speak up. I don’t mind saying that it is not easy for me to say that and in my own mind I’ve had to divorce that aspect of their careers from all the amazing things they’ve done, especially Dalglish, but I did feel a little let down. But I felt properly let down by former players who had less at stake and who should have spoken up. Only at the very very end when it was easy to pitch up did they start opening their gobs.

The Liverpool way was almost a thing of the past. It was not the time for sitting on the hands and hoping all the badness went away.

As for some other points by some other posters. Of course Benitez was just looking out for himself. 99.99% of people in their working lives are just looking out for themselves. Every single person on this forum in his or her working life is just looking out for himself. One of our greatest ever servants and one of a very few bona fide true Liverpool legends, Jamie Carragher, has said plenty of times that if he was warming the bench then he’d have left also, and he’d have been perfectly right to do that. In fact he’d have been an idiot to stay. It’s the real world. And if people can’t see why Benitez accepted a working relationship with Hicks over the last 10 months or so of this mess then they are either very very stupid or very vey belligerent. I assume Dalglish was just as awful then for taking a job from H&G? Benitez made many mistakes. He made enough to correctly cost him his job. But the rumour mongering, and spin and little suggestions of major malpractice, including from people on this forum who are quick to tell you that they know stuff which shows Benitez was as bad as Hicks and Gillett, but even on a private forum, they will not share these things, is very wrong. Why not spell out the stuff they know and let people decide for themselves? If we are talking about “The Liverpool Way”, then constant little comments about the last manager being as bad as the people that almost closed the club down is most certainly not “The Liverpool Way”.

Purslow is the other one that is a cause of so much infighting. I don’t mind saying it makes me a little sick to see people having him as their avatar as I certainly don’t feel he worthy of that accolade. Fine, defend some of the things you perceive as him having as done well. But this was a CEO who appointed a new manager that the vast majority of people not clouded by such a hatred of the last manager, could see was not in any way, shape or form fit for the job. (I would add here that some people like Juan Gualanso were genuine in their thought that Hodgson was right for the job at that given time with all that was going on, and that it was NOT dictated by a dislike for Benitez but just a genuine hope of “steadying the ship”) I can only assume that even the CEO thought Hodgson wasn’t fit for the job as he inexplicably handed the new manager a list of players he didn’t think were good enough and should be moved on. He also signed players??? A CEO signing players??? Yes, we had no manager at the time and so were a bit rudderless, but plenty of clubs don’t have a manager during the close season after a sacking or a resignation, but the CEO doesn’t step in and start signing players. Total madness. Purslow worked for RBS. He was on the side of getting the investment in that would have kept H&G in control. When it was clear that there days were numbered, Purslow just moved to the side of getting them out as per RBSs wishes.

Broughton is one of the few who I felt did exactly what was expected of him. But even Broughton simply did what he was paid (a lot of money) to do. He didn’t go above and beyond the call of a duty, just did exactly what was within his remit. But I thank him for it greatly. I also think RBS deserve a wee bit of credit too. All in all they just wanted their money, but they went down a difficult route which was infinitely more better for us.

Nice it's all behind us though.....

1) There was no real disagreement between Reina and Carragher/Gerrard, just a different approach

2) Reina thought that Benitez had to go, his time had passed, and the dressing room was split

4) And finally, Reina considered both Purslow and Hodgson as wrong people for their jobs

Nothing really new there, and nothing I'd disagree with. The little insights about players (Arteta and Cahill being his good mates) and life in La Masia were interesting.

Sounds worth a read. I'm relying on you to stop me if it's crap.

Not sure RBS are owed any credit.

Had Hicks and Gillett gave them their £100m then they would have been happy and allowed them to stay.

RBS didn't give 2 shits where the money came from just as long as they got it.

The only reason they took action is because the knew that Hicks and Gillett were not able to pay back the money owed to them.

RBS didn't give a toss about Liverpool FC but purely the money owed to them.

Had Hicks and Gillett gave them their £100m then they would have been happy and allowed them to stay.

The only reason they took action is because the knew that Hicks and Gillett were not able to pay back the money owed to them.

I won't give them much credit, but I would disagree with anyone saying that they were unaffected by the lobbying from our support.

Which is fair enough. There a bank, not a charity. But it seemed at the end that they were happier for the battle to get rid of H&G by any means. It may have been more of a public perception thing as not wanting to be the bank that dragged down such a major institution, but it’s just a thing I thought right at the end. It may have been their only way, but it just seemed that everyone of significance was pulling in the right direction right at the end.

I won't give them much credit, but I would disagree with anyone saying that they were unaffected by the lobbying from our support.

I do wonder if they would have asked Hicks and Gillett to pay the rest of the money they owed or if they paid them the £100m they would have let them carry on.

Im pretty certain they would have allowed them to carry on.

This is not me trying to undermine what the fans did.

Yeah, that's maybe more the way to put it. My mate works in the RBS near Edinburgh Airport as an actuary and they were very worried about the protests moving there at the time. He'd ask me what the chances were of it happening and I'd always just say "wait and see".....

I do wonder if they would have asked Hicks and Gillett to pay the rest of the money they owed or if they paid them the £100m they would have let them carry on.

Im pretty certain they would have allowed them to carry on.

This is not me trying to undermine what the fans did.

At that stage, before Broughton, I believe you are right, but by the time it came to the sale they were square behind us in my opinion.

I really don’t want to argue with you over this mate so I’m not to start a back and forth as I respect your opinion and understand what you are trying to say here. It’s just that I think it is wrong and it’s just making excuses to an extent for the (in my opinion) totally unacceptable way quite a few very important past and present Liverpool players acted.

Staying silent out of some misplaced idea about it not being “The Liverpool Way” is the worst thing that people could have done. Thank God the fans in the fantastic groups like Kop faithful, and even just the ones who helped hand out leaflets, or pass the word of what was happening or marched or stayed behind and protested or sent e-mail after e-mail didn’t have some dumb idea about “The Liverpool Way” meaning they had to stay silent. During the times it was all falling apart in the background but you still had so many Liverpool fans saying how they’d bought us Torres and so they were alright, that was when we needed people of the calibre of Gerrard and Carragher to stand up and take one for the club. They should have voiced their significant disapproval of what was going on. Telling a small gathering of people at a private function, while good, was of no real use as it was preaching to the converted. I felt let down to an extent by Carra and Stevie with regards to that part of their Liverpool story. I think it would have taken a level of bravery for them to stand up and say something given they were current employees, but I felt they should have as it would have swayed so many fans who were on the fence or just didn’t care. I also felt the same about Dalglish if I’m honest. I thought the time had come for them to speak up. I don’t mind saying that it is not easy for me to say that and in my own mind I’ve had to divorce that aspect of their careers from all the amazing things they’ve done, especially Dalglish, but I did feel a little let down. But I felt properly let down by former players who had less at stake and who should have spoken up. Only at the very very end when it was easy to pitch up did they start opening their gobs.

The Liverpool way was almost a thing of the past. It was not the time for sitting on the hands and hoping all the badness went away.

As for some other points by some other posters. Of course Benitez was just looking out for himself. 99.99% of people in their working lives are just looking out for themselves. Every single person on this forum in his or her working life is just looking out for himself. One of our greatest ever servants and one of a very few bona fide true Liverpool legends, Jamie Carragher, has said plenty of times that if he was warming the bench then he’d have left also, and he’d have been perfectly right to do that. In fact he’d have been an idiot to stay. It’s the real world. And if people can’t see why Benitez accepted a working relationship with Hicks over the last 10 months or so of this mess then they are either very very stupid or very vey belligerent. I assume Dalglish was just as awful then for taking a job from H&G? Benitez made many mistakes. He made enough to correctly cost him his job. But the rumour mongering, and spin and little suggestions of major malpractice, including from people on this forum who are quick to tell you that they know stuff which shows Benitez was as bad as Hicks and Gillett, but even on a private forum, they will not share these things, is very wrong. Why not spell out the stuff they know and let people decide for themselves? If we are talking about “The Liverpool Way”, then constant little comments about the last manager being as bad as the people that almost closed the club down is most certainly not “The Liverpool Way”.

Purslow is the other one that is a cause of so much infighting. I don’t mind saying it makes me a little sick to see people having him as their avatar as I certainly don’t feel he worthy of that accolade. Fine, defend some of the things you perceive as him having as done well. But this was a CEO who appointed a new manager that the vast majority of people not clouded by such a hatred of the last manager, could see was not in any way, shape or form fit for the job. (I would add here that some people like Juan Gualanso were genuine in their thought that Hodgson was right for the job at that given time with all that was going on, and that it was NOT dictated by a dislike for Benitez but just a genuine hope of “steadying the ship”) I can only assume that even the CEO thought Hodgson wasn’t fit for the job as he inexplicably handed the new manager a list of players he didn’t think were good enough and should be moved on. He also signed players??? A CEO signing players??? Yes, we had no manager at the time and so were a bit rudderless, but plenty of clubs don’t have a manager during the close season after a sacking or a resignation, but the CEO doesn’t step in and start signing players. Total madness. Purslow worked for RBS. He was on the side of getting the investment in that would have kept H&G in control. When it was clear that there days were numbered, Purslow just moved to the side of getting them out as per RBSs wishes.

Broughton is one of the few who I felt did exactly what was expected of him. But even Broughton simply did what he was paid (a lot of money) to do. He didn’t go above and beyond the call of a duty, just did exactly what was within his remit. But I thank him for it greatly. I also think RBS deserve a wee bit of credit too. All in all they just wanted their money, but they went down a difficult route which was infinitely more better for us.

I find it hard to put the players in the same bracket as fans and past players Johnny, it is a players responsibility to go out and perform week in week out, not to be voicing opinions on what's going on in the board room. I'm glad the likes of Stevie and Carra didn't speak out, I cringe at the thought, I've mentioned why I think Pepe did what he did, and it was hardly a public roasting let's face it. It is quite convineint for Pepe to now be able to say, look I spoke out against the owners when at the time it was very much in his own interest to publicly display his unhappiness given he was very much considering his future. I don't doubt he meant what he said about the yanks but had he moved on shortly after it would have been a lot easier for him to do so. In my opinion they did the right thing but it's a two headed coin, you say it would have swayed the fans on the fence, who exactly were these fans ?? 99.99% of fans knew the owners had to go and just what they were doing to the club. If that really is the sum total of what you think the affect them speaking out would have been it only confirms my opinion and stance on the situatio.

Jamie Carragher lives and breathes Liverpool football club, he's never shyed away from anything to do with it, if he's not performing he'll be the first one to hold his hand up, whilst the team was languishing in seventh and the team was dropping points week in week out, do you really think he's going to come out and speak against the owners ? the same goes for the captain. I appreciate you can see where I'm coming from Johnny and I applaude the fact you can manage a structured argument against it, rather than a witless jibe like others chose.

That's a great summary.

A very harrowing period from the club and there are few who came out of it with their reputation entirely undiminished.

I find it hard to put the players in the same bracket as fans and past players Johnny, it is a players responsibility to go out and perform week in week out, not to be voicing opinions on what's going on in the board room. I'm glad the likes of Stevie and Carra didn't speak out, I cringe at the thought, I've mentioned why I think Pepe did what he did, and it was hardly a public roasting let's face it. It is quite convineint for Pepe to now be able to say, look I spoke out against the owners when at the time it was very much in his own interest to publicly display his unhappiness given he was very much considering his future. I don't doubt he meant what he said about the yanks but had he moved on shortly after it would have been a lot easier for him to do so. In my opinion they did the right thing but it's a two headed coin, you say it would have swayed the fans on the fence, who exactly were these fans ?? 99.99% of fans knew the owners had to go and just what they were doing to the club. If that really is the sum total of what you think the affect them speaking out would have been it only confirms my opinion and stance on the situatio.

Jamie Carragher lives and breathes Liverpool football club, he's never shyed away from anything to do with it, if he's not performing he'll be the first one to hold his hand up, whilst the team was languishing in seventh and the team was dropping points week in week out, do you really think he's going to come out and speak against the owners ? the same goes for the captain. I appreciate you can see where I'm coming from Johnny and I applaude the fact you can manage a structured argument against it, rather than a witless jibe like others chose.

I take your point but these were very exceptional circumstances - we were facing the destruction of the club and important figureheads had a duty to speak out and take a lead.

I take your point but these were very exceptional circumstances - we were facing the destruction of the club and important figureheads had a duty to speak out and take a lead.

I'm not convinced one way or the other on whether they should have spoken out, but I don't think finger pointing is required in the aftermath for those who chose not to.

But who split the dressing room?

Of the senior players Gerrard,Carragher,Kuyt,Torres,Mascherano and Pepe,

who would have undermined the Manager,

know one knows for sure,but if I was a betting man.........

Having said that,

in the end it was best for everyone that Rafa went,

but fucked if I'll let clueless cunts on here vilify Benitez and in the same breath praise that poisonous,treacherous cunt that Purslow was!!!