You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Rooney Rule

Gym Beglin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14856861.stm

The United States lawyer behind the Rooney Rule in American football's National Football League (NFL) says he is confident English football's authorities will adopt the pioneering recruitment process.

The Rooney Rule, established in 2003, requires NFL teams to interview one black or ethnic minority candidate for head coaching and senior football operation opportunities that become available, as part of a transparent and open recruitment process.

Cyrus Mehri, based in Washington, has been in London this week meeting with the game's top bosses to present the rule as a way of addressing the lack of black and ethnic minority coaches and managers in professional football.

Birmingham City's Chris Hughton and Chartlon Athletic's Chris Powell are the only black managers across all 92 professional clubs, despite more than 25% of players in the league being black.

Fucking etc...

Views?

I was listening to 606 the other night and most of the show was about this, but presented by Jason Roberts, who continually made references to his 'Uncle Cyril' being unable to get a job in coaching.

I think there are a ton of questions it throws up, not all of them in favour.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcotti had some good points on this. He said that when the NFL introduced it they had a big pool of ethnic minorities at every level of the game who were in coaching roles but had never had the opportunity to step up to the main job. Hence it was successful because the talent was immediately available. The problem we have is that this doesn't really exist in English football.

We need to be focusing on entry level & removing the barriers, real or perceived, to minorities taking their first steps into the coaching side of the industry. Once we've done that, then the Rooney rule would have more chance of working.

You could argue though, that the existence of such a rule first could be the encouragement that is required

Think its a big load of bollocks myself. Where does it stop? Women, Disabled, Ginger people??? Discrimination of any kind is not good and that goes for positive discrimination.

When Kenny leaves we will have candidates like Klopp, Dechamps going for the position but because of a fucking stupid rule we also have to interview Paul Ince because of the colour of his skin.......... B O L L O C K S

We may have to interview ince but we dont have to employ him. Not bothered at all about this.

But why should we??? His CV shouldn't get him within 5 miles of an interview so why should the colour of his skin?

If we wanted a short list of 3 candidates then 1 would always have to be black or of ethnic minority, how is that fair on the 3rd potential candidate who was more qualified but white?

Interviews should be conducted on merit alone

But why should we??? His CV shouldn't get him within 5 miles of an interview so why should the colour of his skin?

If we wanted a short list of 3 candidates then 1 would always have to be black or of ethnic minority, how is that fair on the 3rd potential candidate who was more qualified but white?

Interviews should be conducted on merit alone

Make a shortlist of four?

I think it's a riculous rule to be honest, I seen Ince saying to Holt that he was unfairly treated at Blackburn because he lasted only 177 days or something, as if there haven't been dozens of White managers that have lasted such a short time, no way could it have been anything to do with them being in the bottom 4.

What did Hodgeson last? Maybe he is classed as an ethnic minority.

I don't doubt there is racism in the game but when was the last time you even heard of an interview process? Last one I remember was the England job.

We may have to interview ince but we dont have to employ him. Not bothered at all about this.

Thats a productive use of the clubs time....you say your not bothered but when it happens and Ince or whoever is being interviewed and theres loads of speculation in the papers about him being the new manager I think you probably will be bothered

Unproductive it may be but if the rules change then so what? We will always require the best candidates so what if we have to interview one minority candidate? What real difference will it make to us?

because its discrimination! discrimination to any other person who should have had the interview on merit but couldn't because of a rule that says 'minorities' are entitled to an interview on the basis that they have different coloured skin!

like i said before, where does it stop? Women, disabled persons?

because its discrimination! discrimination to any other person who should have had the interview on merit but couldn't because of a rule that says 'minorities' are entitled to an interview on the basis that they have different coloured skin!

like i said before, where does it stop? Women, disabled persons?

This guy has just read your posts in this thread and wants to salute you.

hitler-army.jpg

Just a joke

If one is forced to interview X number of 'coloured' applicants then clearly there is no equality.

People should be interviewed depending on their merits. I must admit, where I work now since we have two asians already in a team of eight, I have disregarded any more asian applicants depending on their name lately. Sanjeev, Imran, Shaweta etc.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love the office to be full of them - but need a bit of balance.

Guest ShoePiss

Their time would be better spent finding out why a lot of black players don't appear to be interested in management when their playing career is over. How many are going for or have their coaching badges for example...

I'm sure there is a racist element especially in the lower leagues but I'd bet any prem team wouldn't give a fuck if the manager was black or not if he was the best for the job.

Something that appears to be over looked for me is that most managers of the established premier league teams normally are in there 50s which means they retired around 20 years ago at the start if the 90s. That is were the money started coming into the game and players didn't need to stay employed after retiring and more media based/pundit jobs started.

The Rooney Rule is a total farce, and it's constantly being argued about over here. As everyone said, it doesn't mean you have to hire anyone, so if someone actually has racist leanings and is passing over overqualified black candidates, they just have to sit through an interview. Besides, as in all things, if black managers are discriminated against and are undervalued, the shrewd owners will hire them, reap the rewards until the whole system figures it out and does the same. Just like with black players.

I was listening to 606 the other night and most of the show was about this, but presented by Jason Roberts, who continually made references to his 'Uncle Cyril' being unable to get a job in coaching.

I think there are a ton of questions it throws up, not all of them in favour.

I listened to the podcast. Roberts even refused to admit the fact that Paul Ince was a massive failure as manager of his own club and didn't understand why Roy Keane got a top job directly while Ince had to start out in the lower leagues. There is quite possibly worth a discussion about this topic, but there has to be some kind of reasonable arguments being put into it as well.