You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Ah, Sebastian, as you recline in the summerhouse, have you not learnt your lesson lesson from Roy's tenure at Liverpool? Aloysius will be disappointed.

I will not, to save your embarrassment, quote the entire article. Merely the highlights.

England v France: Roy Hodgson remains calm amid storms at Euro 2012 - Telegraph

Even though the spotlight of attention on England burns so fiercely, the experience that Hodgson has gleaned from 36 years in management serves him well.

One of the walls was engraved with a lengthy Latin proverb, “Stet domus haec, dones fluctus formica marinos ebibet et totum testudo perambulet orbem’’.

For those of us who think carpe diem is an old fishing song, the Latin aphorism adorning the Hotel Pod Roza was eventually translated as: “May this house stay here until the ant drinks all of the seawater and the turtle ends its route around the world”. It spoke of permanence, a quality England managers crave in vain.

Hodgson understands the pressures and accepts them. Being England manager was the pinnacle of his profession and if some ill-winds blew around the summit, so be it.

Keep cool and carry on. The Hodgson way.

Whoever said that 'its hilarious now that he's someone elses problem' is spot on. He came out with that cringeworthy shite whilst managing us and he's doing the same thing now. The English fans are in for a rude awaking tomorrow when they're pummelled for 90 minutes by the French and he hangs the players out to dry whilst trying to remove himself from any blame whatsoever.

I'm watching Roy's interview here on ITV and he's talking about the Ferdinand situation - it's the one where he comes outwith that stuff about "Rio Ferdinand isn't a player that you call up as a substitute, someone you ask to fill in...", Gabriel Clarke said "but Rio made it clear that he was happy to be available to do that..." and he just swerved it completely, sat there with his rheumy eyes watering away looking like a befuddled old uncle trying to work out at exactly what point the world passed him by.

Fuck me he's a joke. An absolute joke.

In all fairness this was when the team was diabolically bad and Rigobert Song was seen as a step up at centre half.

Carra was thrown in the deep end at first but played miles better than the more experienced garbage around him.

*shudders* How quickly we forget.

England v France: don’t con me and the nation, warns Roy Hodgson

Roy Hodgson has challenged his England players “not to let the nation down’’ at Euro 2012, which starts for England against France in Donetsk on Monday.

England v France: don’t con me and the nation, warns Roy Hodgson

Hodgson expects: the England manager issues a stark warning to his players ahead of the clash with

Henry Winter

If they do falter, Hodgson signalled he would radically alter his squad for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers.

“It could be the most terrific three weeks or the most torrid of my career,’’ Hodgson said. “By that I mean because the players have let myself and the team down very badly, we have played very badly and that fair-minded people watching us are thinking 'my God what are they doing?’

“If that does happen I will learn an awful lot about what I need to do in the coming couple of years to make sure it doesn’t happen in Brazil in 2014.

“I can honestly say that’s the thing that could make it really torrid for me - if I get a totally different reaction in the games from what I am expecting to see from these players.

"If they have conned me into thinking I am working with a good bunch, and this is a bunch who won’t let me or the team or the nation down, then suddenly in three games they really do, then that for me would be the real painful blow.

"That would be much more painful than if I have to read that I got the team wrong or I should have picked this player or done that or the penalty spot wasn’t bright enough.”

England are expected to line up against France with Joe Hart in goal, a back-four of Glen Johnson, John Terry, Joleon Lescott and Ashley Cole, a midfield of James Milner, Steven Gerrard, Scott Parker and Stewart Downing with Ashley Young in the hole behind Danny Welbeck.

Jermain Defoe has returned to the camp after attending his father’s funeral, giving Hodgson a full complement to chose from, although Martin Kelly has been sick.

“Milner didn’t train today as a precaution because he damaged his heel and needed a pad on it. Terry’s fine.

“He’s been in full training since he came off on Saturday at Wembley. Parker’s only missed one training session, the very first one three weeks’ back.”

The squad practised penalties yesterday. “I scored,’’ Young said.

So its nothing to do with you then Roy if they 'let the nation down' ?

He really is unbelievable, i never expected there to come a day when i wanted England to fail but this cunt has made that a reality.

What kind of arsehole comes out with stuff like that ahead of the first game of a tournament?

Thing is, I know what he's trying to do, get them fired up to perform and making it clear that there's no place for shirkers in his side but the way he does it is utterly laughable. Maybe he's just shit at getting his point across, although that doesn't really fit with the 'cerebral manager' that Olly Holt was eulogising in the Mirror when he was appointed, but if I was one of the squad, I'd be thinking "hang on, this cunt is already deflecting all the blame for sit performances onto us and away from his stone age two lines of four tactics and we haven't even kicked a ball yet."

Guest davelfc
I'm watching Roy's interview here on ITV and he's talking about the Ferdinand situation - it's the one where he comes outwith that stuff about "Rio Ferdinand isn't a player that you call up as a substitute, someone you ask to fill in...", Gabriel Clarke said "but Rio made it clear that he was happy to be available to do that..." and he just swerved it completely, sat there with his rheumy eyes watering away looking like a befuddled old uncle trying to work out at exactly what point the world passed him by.

Fuck me he's a joke. An absolute joke.

He's convinced himself it's true, which with his level of bewildered isn't difficult.

Of course you call up your best players, you do that because of injuries or suspensions. I'm not saying ferdinand comes under 'best players' but the excuse uncle woy is making is just ludicrous.

So he's effectively saying Kelly isn't good enough but he's coming along for the ride, thanks woy you clueless cock. I hope his team get twatted tomorrow and I'm English and I hate the french. (Speaking purely in a footballing sense here)

Roy-Hodgson-bunny-hop.gif

England's manager.

"So you lick the sucker underneath, then you press it down hard onto the table, then next thing it'll bounce up and give everyone a fright! It's really good, and they're only 49p. There's also a wind up set of false teeth that walk across the table chattering! They're £1.50 though."

Guest TK-421

He was beaming in the post match interview, fair play to the old fucker he got a result today and gave a good interview afterwards.

Still a lot to do to escape from the group tho.

Hodgson, and the team, did well today.

Stevie G did us proud, and it was encouraging to see Henderson play well alomg side him.

Johnson looked good going forwards, but defensively the old frailties in his game were exposed.

Care to explain how ? actually dont bother because you haven't got a fucking clue what you're talking about.

Looks like the hodge worked his magic on some here. the team did really well? it was like reliving the hell of his time in charge here. Clawing out my own eyes is less painfull than watching that shit.

I cant stand internationals on the whole, but this has now increased my hatred of them tenfold...

"So you lick the sucker underneath, then you press it down hard onto the table, then next thing it'll bounce up and give everyone a fright! It's really good, and they're only 49p. There's also a wind up set of false teeth that walk across the table chattering! They're £1.50 though."

Ha ha!