You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think we looked absolutely fucking knackered second half? It was fucking painful to watch that second half after a decent first 45 minutes of actuallyu playing football.

The more i see Carroll play the more i fail to understand why we bought him. In the first half we we're popping it around in lovely little triangles like we did loads last season and then as soon as it went 1-1 it was FUCK OFF whack long balls to Carrolls head. Just don't see him fitting in.

Don't understand how everyone just stopped playing second half and looked so off the pace. Poor Flanno should have been off at some point for Kelly too, his head had gone after the equaliser.

Jose Enrique looks boss. Frustrated as fuck.

He started on the left, I think he switches from time to time. To be fair he did that at Aston Villa a lot, he's two footed enough to do it.

I know he started there but considering every cross he made from the right went to the keeper it seemed a waste.

Disappointing.

Yes. Many positives in the first half, but a bit of a lesson in the second. I thought Caroll played well second half, but didn't get the support he needed. Luis tired quite badly, and we didn't get Downing into the game as much as we should have. Young Flanagan got a bit of a second half lesson in what happens when things aren't going for you - the same on Kelly got last season in the Everton game.

A new team getting to know each other, and a great manager. We'll be fine.

Flanagan was appalling once his head had gone. If he plays against Arsenal, they will target him.

Lack of fitness showed today. Adam visibly faded, as did Suarez. Am still not convinced Lucas can play in a 442, his all-round game just isnt good enough.

However, if we can have more of first-half-Downing this season, that will make a big impact

It's a game of two halves, we should have taken advantage of our domination in the first. Suarez should have let Adam take the pen, and Carroll's goal should have been allowed. Flano had a really poor game but he'll live and learn and be better because of it. Some very good signs showing from this game, downing, adam and others are looking good, but we must stop hoofing the ball up towards carroll and expecting him to do something with it. Keep it on the deck and we can outplay most teams in the league, as very evident in the first half.

Good 1st half.

Poor 2nd half. No guts, poor pressure on the ball - we let Sunderland get through the midfield and close to the goal time and time again.

Flanno's to blame for the goal of course. Caught ball watching. Horrible. Should have easily headed the ball out.

In the last '20 we for some reason used Downing behind Carroll and Meireles on the wing.. WTF?? Unbelievable.

So yeah, to conclude. Good 1st half, poor 2nd half - both of the players and King Kenny.

Utterly crap! Not an ounce of winning mentality about most of this team to achieve anywhere near what is required. And, Kenny had a complete mare in the second half. Get Raul on only to play him on the left and Downing in the centre! Seriously, what the fuck? And, anyway Raul and Downing's half-arsed behaviours were a complete disgrace.

And, we need Gerrard back to play behind our striker. Even Aquilani could have done a job today.

I know I'll be slated for this but when we had Maxi on the left he always found good spaces to work in and he gave us a platform to build on in the opponents half. Downing and Henderson didn't do that. Maybe we should think about playing Maxi and Meireles instead of Carroll and Henderson in the next game.

I think we need another striker, and that we're too one-dimensional without Luis. Not going mental because we didn't win, or whining, just think that seems to be the case when we're knocking balls through the air to Carroll all the time.

As for the team we played, would've picked Kelly ahead of Flanno and probably not started Henderson. I'm not sure at all what he does for us, but not worried as he's young and will probably take time to find how he fits in, just think he looks lost at the moment.

Looking forward to next week anyway.

Disappointed in the lack of desire in the second half - as per usual we let the game drift along until we were bitten by an equaliser, and then lost all composure trying to get back in front. We are our own worst enemies. All those long balls were a complete joke.

We don't have the best squad in the league, and we need to make up for that with fitness, self-belief, desire, tactical ingenuity and a will to win. Didn't see any of that today, and only the only one that you'd accept to be lacking in the first game is fitness.

I know I'll be slated for this but when we had Maxi on the left he always found good spaces to work in and he gave us a platform to build on in the opponents half. Downing and Henderson didn't do that. Maybe we should think about playing Maxi and Meireles instead of Carroll and Henderson in the next game.

so you agree we've wasted 55 mill as well

carroll & henderson. 55 million, anyone please give me some logic to this.

it stinks of houlier going mental

Come off it,Henderson's played 70 odd minutes of competitive footy for us,and Carroll ran Brown ragged in the 1st half,2nd half the team stopped playing and Carroll got more and more isolated as the ball got humpped up to him,really bad 2nd half for us i thought Flanno got caught out afew times(to often probably) but if we can play like we did in the 1st half we will be top 4 no problem. Disappointing result but Enrique looked good.

The Henderson signing is totally bizarre. I have no idea what he brings to a team, he is a Sunderland-level player at best. No idea why we signed him. And for £20M too.

Flanno had a tough time, if Kelly is fit he should start.

As for big Andy. Unless we start playing to his strengths he will be completely pointless, like he was today.

If we can't beat Sunderland at home on the first day of the season, we have problems.... That was a disaster, i don't care it the first game, it was also THEIR first game of the season.

Flano & hendo where shit; no excuses.... very poor showing by them. Potato head will laughing his cock off at selling Hendo for 19m.

PS: Was i the only one who thought we was burnt out after the first half?