You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best British Sitcom Ever?

Sugar Ape

Best British Sitcom.  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Best British Sitcom.

• Only Fools And Horses
    • Blackadder
    • Father Ted
    • Fawlty Towers
    • The Office
    • The Inbetweeners
    • Red Dwarf
    • Spaced
    • Dad's Army
    • Porridge
    • Open All Hours
    • Allo Allo
    • Steptoe & Son
    • The Royle Family
    • The Young Ones
    • Bottom
    • I'm Alan Partridge
    • Men Behaving Badly
    • Phoenix Nights
    • Rising Damp
    • One Foot In The Grave
    • Black Books
    • Yes Minister
    • On The Buses
    • Other - Please State.

Guest davelfc
Once you've been anywhere in the world abroad and had EVERY SINGLE street tout and beggar say Lubbly Jubbly to you for six solid months you will know why I hate Only Fools and Horses so much.

Crazy isn't it, does my head in. I thought it was great but it's dated badly and been battered so much on tv that I can't watch it anymore.

I've seen OFAH bars as well, brits going on holiday abroad to sit in a bar watching OFAH all day. Crazy.

Bottom with more votes than The Young Ones?! Don't get me wrong it was good in its own right but still...

The Young Ones was funny in patches, but dire for minutes at a time...usually when Alexi Sayall showed his face.

Bottom is 30 minutes wall to wall, piss yourself laughing out loud magic.

• Upvote 2

Guest ShoePiss
Is Partridge even a sitcom? I thought it was funny, but not THAT funny.

Blackadder is the best one in the list which is actually British.

Absolutely, why would you question it?

Blackadder is second for me but I wouldn't be surprised watching them all again moved it to the number 1 spot, same can be said for Porridge really.

Bottom with more votes than The Young Ones?! Don't get me wrong it was good in its own right but still...

I loved Bottom when I was 13, I don't think it's something I could appreciate as much now though. The Young Ones hasn't dated that well either, but it gets a pass because it was pioneering.

phoenix nights not a sit com?

only fools and horses has some great funny moments, but theres usually a long build up to jokes.

why i tend to like sketch or panel type programmes rather than sit coms.

father ted I like better as its more laugh a minute.

then it'd be fawlty towers

never really watched partridge, tried to a few times but just cant get into it

• Downvote 1

• 3 years later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

Even though I Wouldn't pick Blackadder overall, Blackadder goes forth is surely the greatest single season? Both seasons of Fawlty Towers push it close, though.

Sneaky self bump, eh? I've got my eye on you.

Spaced and only fools are the top two there, for me. Spaced because it holds a special place.

Omg, I've got some fucking Jaffa cakes in my coat pocket!

• Upvote 1

Even though I Wouldn't pick Blackadder overall, Blackadder goes forth is surely the greatest single season? Both seasons of Fawlty Towers push it close, though.

Series.

Whilst we're talking about British sitcoms, I think it's right to use the British term.

Yes, I am prickly about it.  IT MATTERS.

• Upvote 3