You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Made myself a lovely tea tonight. McCain home fries, with my own special coating of cajun, chilli and mixed spice. Topped it off with some mushy peas. Awesome.

I was proper starving too and had been looking forward to it all day. So I go and sit myself down on the couch, when suddenly the whole lot slides off the plate onto the floor. I watched in horror, and then began wondering what the excrutiating pain was on the lower part of my right leg.

I look down and see that my foot and ankle are covered in scalding hot mushy peas, which were burning their way through my skin to the bone like the blood from Alien.

I picked the chips up and put them back on the plate, but drew the line at scraping the peas off my shoe so they bit the dust.

I've now got a big burn blister on my ankle, a little one on my calf and a ruined pair of Gazelles.

Not my finest hour.

• Upvote 1

Made myself a lovely tea tonight. McCain home fries, with my own special coating of cajun, chilli and mixed spice. Topped it off with some mushy peas. Awesome.

I was proper starving too and had been looking forward to it all day. So I go and sit myself down on the couch, when suddenly the whole lot slides off the plate onto the floor. I watched in horror, and then began wondering what the excrutiating pain was on the lower part of my right leg.

I look down and see that my foot and ankle are covered in scalding hot mushy peas, which were burning their way through my skin to the bone like the blood from Alien.

I picked the chips up and put them back on the plate, but drew the line at scraping the peas off my shoe so they bit the dust.

I've now got a big burn blister on my ankle, a little one on my calf and a ruined pair of Gazelles.

Not my finest hour.

That's where it all went wrong.

i once burnt my hand with the steam coming out the kettle, red blister absolutely killed when i went to bed that night, kicking the wall hurt so bad

I doen exactly that exactly 3 weeks ago today and it has about 2 more days left until there is nothing left apart from maybe a little bit of reddening.

I leaned over the kettly nozzle to reach something and didn't feel any of the normal warnign signs that tell you your about to hurt yourself badly. By time I felt the pain I had a burnt my the sie of my wrist at and a blister was about to develop. Still didn't think it was that bad, but over the next 8 hours or so the blister grew and the area that was burnt showed to be about 20% bigger than an old 50p. the part of my wrist that copped for it worse after about 2 weeks of healing looked like I had cut the side of my wrist with a knife as it had a scare that looked like a knife cut. Alas though it now is not far from getting back to normal.

The reason I got burned so bad without having the opportunity to move my hand out of the way was because the kettle was just about to boil and the steam was fucking hot.

Years ago I was poaching some frozen fish. The water was boiling away but the 2 bits of fish were still stuck together. I tried to prize them apart with a spatchula but in doing so I managed to tip the pan of boiling water over me. Half of my left arm was covered in puss-filled blisters and I had another huge one on my chest that was the size of a dinner plate.

A week later I was playing f**tball when someone drilled a pass at me at chest height. I didnt hesitate to try and control it but then realised what I had probably done. My PE teacher was pissing himself as I lifted up my top and saw that the blister had burst and I was covered in puss.

I once sat on my tea* of chicken and chips in gravy. Still ate it.

*unintentionally. It wasn't some kind of weird food sex game where I was rimmed by a dead chicken.

You're giving me unsavoury ideas!

Must be something in the air.

I walked the dog down to the shop this morning and picked up a newspaper and a Kit Kat. She did her business on the way back to the house. It was of loose, chocolate mousse consistency, and being the conscientous citizen that I am, I bent down to bag the badness, unwittingly dropping the Kit Kat in the middle of the stinking mess.

I still brought it home, removed it from the wrapper and ate it though. Dignity is overrated, especially when confectionary is at stake.

My girlfriend did something similar years ago. She went over on her ankle while carrying a plate of spaghetti bolognese into her parents' lounge, spag bol all over the floor. She then picked up the pile of food, not pausing to consider that it had been in the Aga all day and was scalding hot. The reflex action was to fling the contents of her hands far and wide, soiling practically every item of furniture in the room with spaghetti sauce. She also burnt her leg in the initial tumble and had to get her burns dressed by the doctor for two weeks.

• 5 years later...