You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scotland Yard's review of the Madeleine McCann case is a "ludicrous" waste of money, a senior member of its governing body has claimed.

Jenny Jones hit out at David Cameron's controversial decision to involve the Metropolitan Police and said the move would deny other victims of crime the chance of justice while using up valuable police resources.

The review has already sparked faced fierce criticism amid suggestion the intervention could undermine the independence of the force.

Ms Jones, a member of the Metropolitan Police Authority and the London Assembly, told The Mail on Sunday: "The police should not take this case up in this way.

"It is ludicrous. This could take years and will cost millions. It is very unusual for police to step in like this and it is not an appropriate use of police resources."

She said the MPA would now be asking tough questions of the move, adding: "The Government is closing down the Forensic Science Service because there are not enough funds. This is a crucial part of police work.

"Although it is tragic and I feel for the McCanns, how can the Prime Minister justify spending millions of pounds on one case?"

Her comments echo remarks made by fellow Metropolitan Police Authority member Lord Harris last week.

Writing on his blog, he said: "Whilst no one doubts the desirability of doing what can sensibly be done to find out what has happened to Madeleine McCann, I can imagine that the senior leadership of the Metropolitan Police are not exactly happy about this."

Madeleine went missing from her family's holiday flat in Praia da Luz in the Algarve on May 3 2007, shortly before her fourth birthday.

Madeleine probe 'a ludicrous waste' - Breaking News - News - Liverpool Echo

If they want proper exposure in this, they should get Madeleine on the 'Runaway Train' video by Soul Asylum.

I see that some of those kids on that video, were working class and no help was offered to their families; so what makes the McCann's so special?

I believe Gerry McCann is hiding something.

I don't believe they had anything to do with it at all, the kid is either dead at the hands of a paedo or living with a family in some part of the world and totally unaware of who she really is. I think there was a very similar scenario in Kos in the very early 90's. Regardless of the rights or wrongs it's every parents nightmare.

Edit: As for the Sun, if i GUNUINELY believed it was the only avenue that could bring my child back or could bring closure then I would use it, anybody who disagrees either doesn't have kids or if they do is a bit strange.

Anyway what about the child that was abducted IN THIS COUNTRY from a bath in the house. Was that mother irresponsible as well?

Just saying

I don't know the details of this story, but there's a whole world of difference between a child being abducted from the bath while presumably the mother was in the house as well(?) and a kid being abducted from a hotel while her parents were getting lashed in a restaurant down the street.

I'd have loved to have seen the reaction of the Daily Mail if it was a young single mother from an inner city that had gone out for the evening leaving her child unattended to have a meal and drink alcohol.

The Daily Mail would start a campaign to sterilise all women and men who live on council estates and/or's household income is less than £15k.

The fact is they are two middle class doctors who wanted a night out. They probably bring in a six-figure salary between them (if not more), and left a 4-year-old in "charge" of two babies simply because they couldn't/wouldn't pay £20 for a babysitter.

I remember as a child going on holiday to butlins. There would be an evening show in the theatre, and beside the stage was a large board which read "baby crying in chalet " and a space underneath for a number. Did I imagine this or was it once common practice, and socially acceptable, to leave young children home alone whilst adults went out on the lash?

that is true,

although they had a matron that would patrol the chalets and you had to inform them that you were going out.

I've never ruled out the possibility that either her or Gerry had some involvement in her disappearance or death and frankly I think anyone that has must have either a remarkable faith in human nature, or a remarkable ability to limit the horizons of their thinking.

I'm not talking about crackpot conspiracy theories either; to me the most crackpot theory that I've heard yet is that some international paedo gang were staking out some fucking shithole hotel in the arse end of Portugal just waiting to steal a young blonde-haired girl with a gammy eye. Oh sorry Kate, that was your theory wasn't it?

Nah, stack an honest, yet tragic mistake made by a couple of parents trying to ensure their kids stayed down for the night whilst they had a few drinks with friends against the idea of a gang stealing kids to order from the Portuguese Butlins and I know which one I find more believable.

I would smash Kate all over the show though, no doubting it. She's still way, way behind Amanda Knox on my potential murderess hit list though, I'd do time myself for a go on her.

• Upvote 1

I would smash Kate all over the show though, no doubting it. She's still way, way behind Amanda Knox on my potential murderess hit list though, I'd do time myself for a go on her.

Apart from Kate and Foxy Knoxy, the MILF list isn't that long is it?

Surely one of the Manson killers was worth a squirt?

Apart from that, I'm struggling. Of course, I could probably google "sexy female murderers" but that's below even me.

Apart from Kate and Foxy Knoxy, the MILF list isn't that long is it?

Surely one of the Manson killers was worth a squirt?

Apart from that, I'm struggling. Of course, I could probably google "sexy female murderers" but that's below even me.

On the other hand you can go all out like this dude.

Editor apologises for “hottest” child abusers article | swns.com

Red-faced Richard Connelly shocked readers when he uploaded mugshots of ten female Texan sex offenders.

The controversial article attracted thousands of readers on the Houston Press website – with many venting their fury at the way Connelly ”trivialised” a number of heinous crimes.

His inspiration for the ill-thought feature came after a meeting with two prosecutors who explained to him that child predators don’t fit a certain category.

It triggered the idea to do a piece on ”sex offenders who don’t look like sex offenders” – with the writer opting for the titillating term ‘hottest’ to generate more page views.

The feature said: ”We combed through 15 of the biggest counties in Texas and came up with the ten hottest women in the database.

”In some cases, we picked out the best of a series of mugshots. Alternative choices were starkly different. So click on each link before you send any marriage proposals.”

Each mugshot was accompanied by details of the sex crime – with some of the offenders guilty of abusing children as young as two.

The tasteless article has led to calls for Connelly to be fired with the journalist forced to issue a grovelling apology.

He said: ”Glamorising or trivialising child rape? It did not cross my mind that I was doing that. It should have, it now seems clear.

”That was never the intent. I hope that would be obvious, but it seems not.

”No one ever likes apologies to ”anyone who was offended” because they seem half-hearted.

”I can only say the intention was to shock (in what I hoped would be a positive way) and not to offend. To a lot of people, I failed miserably. I can understand that, and I apologise to them.”

Thats a very sick comment and one of the last thing any parent would even think about,let alone say,something very strange going on there.

How is it? It may be strange that it has been published in such a graphic way however it would be the first thing that would go through my head if my daughter had been taken.