You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

It's not an enormous suprise but she'd picked up load recently and we were both sure she'd be there on Saturday.

I feel so selfish because I loved her as a person, not because she was Al's Mam. She was food people.

Fucking gutted and your kind words help.

• Upvote 3

Good not food.

What the fuck am I dong.

Freudian slip brother, did she like Special Fried Rice too?

Why do you feel selfish mate? Sounds like she'd have been made up her daughter found someone like you. After all, that's what any parent wants when they feel like they're getting older, that they can 'pass on' their child to someone who will love and look after them, as I know you will.

That alone will have given her tremendous peace of mind.

My fiancée's mam died this morning. Fought that fucking disease for too long. We get married on Saturday. I'm in absolute bits but can't show it so I'm telling you lot.

X

Horrible news that.

Try not to overdo the not being to show how upset you are; that sort of thing will eat you up.

I'm not really doing a great job of showing I'm not upset. I'm one of the world's worst at being emotionally tough.

TLW, through the good and the bad.

Why are you trying not to show it?

I’m sure it’ll be far more comforting to your fiancée to see how much her mum meant to you and to see that she will not be going through that pain alone.

And then smile and cry through your wedding as I’m sure everyone else will too

I don't know why I'm trying not to show it, trying to dodge pain I suppose.

I feel selfish because I feel like nobody else has ever gone through this which I know to be bollocks.

Gone through what?

My brother’s wife’s brother died, like your mother in law, from cancer, a week before they got married. I guess he was 25.

How her parents coped I don’t know but they did and he remains a part of their family even now.

There’s absolutely nothing selfish about it.

You can’t always prepare yourself for the way you react to certain losses. There is nothing to feel guilty or selfish about

• Upvote 1

Aye, I'm not being a super maudlin' tuss; it's just shit.

It's alright; if you're having a glass of something tonight or just a cup of tea then raise it to someone you love. Life's too short.

Peroni to your MiL and your wedding. Clink

• Upvote 1

Aye, I'm not being a super maudlin' tuss; it's just shit.

It's alright; if you're having a glass of something tonight or just a cup of tea then raise it to someone you love. Life's too short.

I’ve felt a bit like that all day after yesterday.

And then my friend texted me to tell me her friend died yesterday, leaving an 8 year old son.

Life is short and fragile. Grab hold of it with both hands x

I’ve felt a bit like that all day after yesterday.

And then my friend texted me to tell me her friend died yesterday, leaving an 8 year old son.

Life is short and fragile. Grab hold of it with both hands x

Well I'll raise a glass to the boy, and wish him everything he needs.

My fiancée's mam died this morning. Fought that fucking disease for too long. We get married on Saturday. I'm in absolute bits but can't show it so I'm telling you lot.

X

Sorry to hear about your MIL mate. I can't tell you how you should be expressing your feelings, and I understand if you feel the need to keep it together for the sake of your fiancée and her family, at least for the next week. If you do need to show how devastated you are, just do it. People will understand, and no-one will think any less of you either way. Assuming you are still getting hitched next weekend, I wish you both all the very best. Regards and condolences to all.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Dad was admitted to hospital last week after blood tests. Said his kidneys were failing, stabilised now but his doctor said they suspect bladder cancer. Scans show lesions on his lungs and abdomen. As a urologist he is pretty sure but need to test it on Monday.

Because he has korsakoffs he has the intellect but not recollection so I've signed consent forms.

Been told it's likely terminal. My Mrs nephew died of a seizure three weeks ago so to say it never rains but it pours is spot On.

Having a beer now

Dad was admitted to hospital last week after blood tests. Said his kidneys were failing, stabilised now but his doctor said they suspect bladder cancer. Scans show lesions on his lungs and abdomen. As a urologist he is pretty sure but need to test it on Monday.

Because he has korsakoffs he has the intellect but not recollection so I've signed consent forms.

Been told it's likely terminal. My Mrs nephew died of a seizure three weeks ago so to say it never rains but it pours is spot On.

Having a beer now

Horrible news that, mate. 

I don't think there are any words to make the situation less painful so instead I'll offer you my time as my thoughts go to you and your dad. 

If you need to talk about anything or need any information around relevant services just let me know. I'll be here for when or if you need someone to speak too. 

Chin up. 

• Upvote 2