You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

I've been following this thread for a while and I was hoping sometimes to be able to day something eloquent to ease the pain but it's just not possible.

Honestly rotoq, I feel so sorry for you. This past while must have been pure torture.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Been a right cunt in my neck of the woods this last few weeks this has. 

My cousin is 35, poor girl lost her unborn baby on the Monday and found out she had Thyroid cancer on the Wednesday. Had the glands removed and some lymph nodes and thankfully it looks like she's on the mend now (her dad - my uncle - had a heart attack while she was in hospital, thankfully he too is now on the mend. They were both posting pictures yesterday of them eating steak at the pub.

My best man's brother, also 35 with an 18-month old kid was diagnosed with testicular cancer a few weeks back, he's had an op and it sounds like he's beat it too, fingers crossed. 

My stepdad went into hospital a couple of weeks back with heart failure. Fluid was building up in his body (they drained a litre and a half from around his heart) but they think there's something underlying causing it. They've done loads of tests but the best they can come up with at the moment is 'your lymph nodes are enlarged so we think something's going on, we just don't know what or where'. 

They've seen a black mark on a lung X Ray but still don't know what's going on. All up in the air at the moment until they can get him in for a biopsy on June 1. 

It's heartening though how many people beat cancer. It's a horrible word and you instantly think the worst, but of about half a dozen people I know who've had it in the last five years all but one have beat it. 

• Upvote 2

Shit to hear its affecting so many people around you, amigo, but like you say, that so many people now beat it has to be some sort of positive.

My other half's Gran was taken in to palliative care over the weekend. She's had three bouts of cancer in about 5 years and at 87 it's become too much. Horrible waiting game, we don't know how long she'll hold out.

• Upvote 1

Been a right cunt in my neck of the woods this last few weeks this has. 

My cousin is 35, poor girl lost her unborn baby on the Monday and found out she had Thyroid cancer on the Wednesday. Had the glands removed and some lymph nodes and thankfully it looks like she's on the mend now (her dad - my uncle - had a heart attack while she was in hospital, thankfully he too is now on the mend. They were both posting pictures yesterday of them eating steak at the pub.

My best man's brother, also 35 with an 18-month old kid was diagnosed with testicular cancer a few weeks back, he's had an op and it sounds like he's beat it too, fingers crossed. 

My stepdad went into hospital a couple of weeks back with heart failure. Fluid was building up in his body (they drained a litre and a half from around his heart) but they think there's something underlying causing it. They've done loads of tests but the best they can come up with at the moment is 'your lymph nodes are enlarged so we think something's going on, we just don't know what or where'. 

They've seen a black mark on a lung X Ray but still don't know what's going on. All up in the air at the moment until they can get him in for a biopsy on June 1. 

It's heartening though how many people beat cancer. It's a horrible word and you instantly think the worst, but of about half a dozen people I know who've had it in the last five years all but one have beat it.

Jeez, Mark, that's horrendous. As they say, it puts everything else into perspective, doesn't it?

I watched the game on Sunday almost oblivious after hearing that one of my lovely neighbours had died in the early hours of leukaemia. She'd been diagnosed on Saturday. We still can't take it in

When I was in the hospital about a month ago, my roommate had testicular cancer which was spreading to his lymph nodes. He was getting litres of fluid drained from his body a few times per day and had been in and out of the hospital for two years. He's 21 years old, can't go to school, doesn't have a social life, his best years are being taken from him and he was still so positive and pleasant to be around, even to a complete stranger like me. Really inspiring stuff and put things in perspective for me. 

• Upvote 1

Horrible that mate

Hopefully they'll get it sorted. He really will have a complete different outlook on life when he is sorted. I know i did after my illness.

Can't believe it was 2 years ago this month i went in

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

So it turns out me step dad is terminal, only got a few months apparently. They still don't know where the original tumour is but say there's secondary around his heart and chest.

Feels really weird, I've never got on with him, in fact he was always a bit of a cunt, had me up by the throat and stuff when I was a kid, and in all honesty I don't have a single happy memory of him, at all, but still, you wouldn't wish it on anyone and the fear in his voice is palpable.

Feel sorry for my sister too, he's been a decent dad to her in my opinion.

Grim stuff, makes you realise how quickly life can change, for years everything is humdrum and the same, then BANG it's never the same again.

• 1 month later...

One of my best mates in work has been off sick for a few months.  He'd been having various symptoms, for which he'd had a load of tests to try to find the cause.  Last week he was taken into hospital and they finally found what was up - bowel cancer, which had already spread to his kidneys.

He died last night.

I need to drink now.