You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LIVERPOOL BUYS CHINA.

OH WAIT

Rep him. Do it now.

As for Gavin Laws, this is a very easy one to deal with.

Dear Gavin

We're going to send Comolli to negotiate a deal for Honda. Or some other generic 'Asian' player if you have one in mind, I mean they're just a huge homogeneous mass aren't they, those Asians?

Anyway, if the increased exposure for LFC in the Asian markets and subsequent business benefits for your employer would be as substantial as you suggest, we propose that your sponsorship contract is renegotiated. You will make a payment to LFC equal to the transfer fee agreed for Honda and in return will receive a percentage of the club's commercial revenue from the markets in which your company operates for a set period of time.

If he helps the club succeed and the increase in revenues is higher than expectations, we both benefit and the player's value increases. If he doesn't improve us and the increase in revenues is correspondingly lower than expectations, then assuming that revenues don't actually fall in those markets the club doesn't lose any commercial income, although the player's value will likely decrease which means that the club are still exposed to some of the risk.

Critically though, if the club is successful on the pitch but the resulting revenues don't increase in line with your expectations, Gavin, the club don't lose commercial income, the player's value increases (and if we sell him that's the club's money, not yours) but you don't make your anticipated profit. In short, if you expect us to sign players based on your desire to expand your business rather than our judgment of whether they'd improve our squad, you need to think about letting us play with your money, not ours.

Alternately you could always keep your nose out.

Oh and if you were just offering a bit of free business advice and not actually suggesting that we should sign an Asian player in order to attract more income from the East, just mentioning that we could do that if we wanted, cheers for that mate. Nice one. Give me a ring next time you're over, we'll go for a pint.

Sincerely

RR

Liverpool's £20m sponsors admit concerns over player behaviour

Bank also urges club to stick with Dalglish, stay at Anfield and look to sign Asian footballers

By Ian Herbert, Northern Football Correspondent

Friday, 1 April 2011SHARE PRINTEMAILTEXT SIZE NORMALLARGEEXTRA LARGE

AFP/GETTY

Kenny Dalglish (right) defended Andy Carroll yesterday: 'He can't be criticised for anything he's done here,' he said

The bank that has signed the most lucrative shirt sponsorship deal in football history, with Liverpool, has sought reassurances that the conduct of players will not cause it any embarrassment.

Standard Chartered's chief executive, Peter Sands, asked for undertakings from his Liverpool opposite number about the club's likely action against offending players and also had sight of the club's code of conduct before signing the £20m a season deal last year. But Standard's group head of corporate affairs, Gavin Law, insisted, in a week when the England manager, Fabio Capello, said striker Andy Carroll should drink less, that the bank was relaxed about the £35m signing.

In a candid discussion of the bank's new relationship with the club, Mr Law also said that Standard would like Liverpool to recruit Asian players to capitalise on involvement in that continent, where Standard has a huge market. He also said he hoped Liverpool appoint Kenny Dalglish as manager and stated the merits of the club's owners, Fenway Sports Group, refurbishing Anfield rather than building a new stadium. The bank's Asian customers apparently love Anfield's quintessential football character.

Responding to Capello's comments on Carroll – "he needs to improve, to drink less" – Dalglish yesterday insisted that the 22-year-old was perfectly capable of managing himself. "Well he's never bought me a drink. I've been with him at Boyzone concerts and he's still never bought me a drink," Dalglish joked. "Andy Carroll knows what is required of Andy Carroll. He is the most important part of all this. [He] cannot be criticised in any way, for what he has done since he has been here."

But speaking at Manchester's Soccerex conference, Mr Sands said the bank had been aware of the risk attached to the sponsorship deal. "They [players] are young men and they play hard and party hard. Reputationally, what is important to us is that the club has the right set of responsibilities and guidelines for their players. We will never stop some players going to excess. One of the issues we had to consider [was] what would we do if certain things happened at the football club."

The return to economic growth of its markets in Asia, Africa and the Middle East were vital to Standard's 19 per cent rise in profits and it is the success of Park Ji-sung in promoting Manchester United's sponsors in the Far East which has whetted Standard's appetite for a Liverpool Asian player. "We would love the club to have players of nationalities from the markets in which we operate," Mr Sands said. "They are not going to get them from all 75 but if they could sign some – if they could get a Korean, Indian, Chinese player – look what Park has done for United in terms of coverage in Korea."

Though the former Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra is remembered for foisting woefully incapable Thai players on Sven Goran Eriksson at that club, Mr Sands was expressing only a hope. "It can't be us dictating this. He's got to be good enough to be playing, because it's no good having someone in the reserve team," he said. But Mr Sands said Liverpool knew from their "first conversation" with the bank – at which Dalglish was present – that the bank coveted a player from Asia.

"Liverpool are more aware than most other clubs we've spoken to of the commercial opportunity for them," Mr Sands added. "If they can sell a million shirts with another Mr Park on the back, why wouldn't you?"

Dalglish's presence with the new Liverpool managing director, Ian Ayre, at the London meeting which began sponsorship discussions was critical, Mr Sands said. "It showed from the very first moment they realised we needed a bit of the bling, a bit of the celebrity, a bit of the excitement. He [Dalglish] is almost a Bobby Charlton." Mr Ayre told yesterday's conference that Liverpool did not need to be in the Champions League to break even financially.

Standard's desire to see Dalglish installed permanently is another reason for Fenway Sports Group to do that. "Kenny is doing a great job," Mr Sands said. "We think he is an iconic manager. From a sponsors' viewpoint I have no power to make Liverpool choose Kenny as manager, but I would love him to be the manager."

On Fenway's deliberations about whether to stay at Anfield – which they seem to be swaying towards – Mr Sands said: "Anfield is not as developed as some other clubs and that makes it very exciting for our guests from Asia. They love it. They love the fact that it's... well, not exactly dirty and small because it isn't – but because it's a football club. We had customers from Hong Kong with us for the [win over Manchester] United [last month]. They couldn't believe the noise, the atmosphere, the passion. For a corporate client on a day out for us – fantastic."

Liverpool's £20m sponsors admit concerns over player behaviour - Premier League, Football - The Independent

Fucking cheek I reckon and I hope we tell him to stick his opinions. Players should be bought on their strengths not their nationality. In fact, the more I read this article the more I get angry at the way the game has changed off the pitch.

To misquote Reg Presley.

Businessmen? I shit 'em.

Guest davelfc
Liverpool sponsor wants Asian players on club - Westport News

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — The bank that sponsors Liverpool wants the club to bring in high-profile Asian players.

Standard Chartered executive Gavin Laws outlined his hopes for Liverpool in an interview with The Associated Press on Thursday, saying the bank sees great potential for the club to increase its exposure in the Asian market — where it does most of its business.

"The real power for what Liverpool could do for us, and I think for the English Premier League, is if there was a way they could nurture foreign players from Asia ... a great Asian player — you see what Park Ji-sung does for Manchester United," Laws, the bank's head of corporate affairs, said at the SoccerEx conference.

"The markets in Asia and the Middle East are so nationalistic, they are very proud about their countries. (Matches) become huge events. One appearance from a player, say from Dubai in the Premier League, and you'd have the whole of Dubai watching it."

Liverpool is sixth in the Premier League, four points behind fifth-place Tottenham, which is in the Europa League spot and has played a game less.

It means the five-time European champions are set to miss out on competing in the more lucrative Champions League for the second successive season.

For Standard Chartered, the European competitions are of less interest than the Premier League.

"The Champions League for us as a sponsor is not that important for us," Laws said. "By the time the games are played, the major markets we are interested in, everyone is asleep and in bed."

And it's in those Asian markets where Standard Chartered wants to be selling more shirts with its brand across them.

"The market is saturated in Europe with so many clubs, how many more merchandise sales are they going to create over the next 10 years?" Laws said. "If the clubs want to do merchandise sales going at an exponential rate you've got to be in China, you've got to be in Korea, really getting all the people excited about the game."

As if.

(he's signed for next season apparently.)

Actually, you need to put some money in the meter. A year's subs must be about furty fibe dowlas in your money right?

Stupid allowance. I are bwoke this month but should get it in the next or after that. I are need a job too. But yea it's about 37 bucks.

We should sign some Ninjas

I thought we were talking about Chinese people. How did Arab women get into the convo?