You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

If Dalglish is in charge and he better fucking be, there are few who are sure of their place.

Fill in the gaps:

------------------------Reina---------------------------

Kelly----------Carragher---------???????----------???????

---------------Gerrard-----------???????----------------

???????-------------------------------------------???????

----------------Carroll-----------Suarez-----------------

I know Gerrard's more disciplined performance against the mancs last week was down to injury more than instruction but I feel we will see a more disciplined Gerrard over the next few seasons, starting next season. Like a holding playmaker if you like.

That leaves Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas, Meireles, Kuyt who are all heavily involved at the moment out of the team but I'd like to see most of them kept to have a strong squad for a change.

Maxi, Cole, Jovanovic, N'Gog, Insua, Konchesky, Poulsen, Aurelio, Jones, Aquilani should all be moved on.

Got to be honest mate i disagree in your line up.

Personally i would have Kelly in his natural position of centre half with also Johnson in his natural position of right back.

It would also be Kelly and one other in the centre and not Carra and one other.

If Dalglish is in charge and he better fucking be, there are few who are sure of their place.

Fill in the gaps:

------------------------Reina---------------------------

Kelly----------Carragher---------???????----------???????

---------------Gerrard-----------???????----------------

???????-------------------------------------------???????

----------------Carroll-----------Suarez-----------------

I know Gerrard's more disciplined performance against the mancs last week was down to injury more than instruction but I feel we will see a more disciplined Gerrard over the next few seasons, starting next season. Like a holding playmaker if you like.

That leaves Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas, Meireles, Kuyt who are all heavily involved at the moment out of the team but I'd like to see most of them kept to have a strong squad for a change.

Maxi, Cole, Jovanovic, N'Gog, Insua, Konchesky, Poulsen, Aurelio, Jones, Aquilani should all be moved on.

Kinda agree with most of that, especially the last part.

I'd love Gerrard to turn that performance in most weeks because he was near perfect against them lot. If he can learn that, sound but I fear he just isn't that type. I'd personally look at someone like Defour to partner Lucas and allow Gerrard more freedom but without playing him off the front man.

I'm in the minority but I'd be signing a left back and using Johnson at right back next season. We'll be playing a fair few games and I'd be looking to swap players around but Kelly would be a more 18 player for now. Back up full back roles and 4th choice centre half, for me.

How you've got them setup, in a 442, wouldn't be how I'd set us up and I suppose that's why I'd be more interested in signing a right winger than a left one. A front 3 of a right winger, Suarez and Carroll would be boss and cause most teams numerous problems. Kuyt and perhaps an Ashley Young type providing options for us.

Based on educated guesswork I'd say we will go for Izaguirre/Enrique/other cheap-ish LB, Downing, possibly Young (though I'm 99% sure he'll go to Utd), Adam, and someone like Van Wolfswinkel. I'd like to think we'll be in for a top quality right winger as well, but I've no idea who it might be. I think Sanchez will end up at Chelsea. What happens at centre back will largely depend on what we do with Skrtel and Agger. I would be tempted to sell both as the former isn't good enough and the latter is never fit.

We need centre-backs. A couple. You build from the back. As it is there's not a single centre-back at the club that's even approaching what you'd call top class. It's a huge problem for us. We simply won't be doing anything if we head into next season with Carra as first choice either. People need to stop deluding themselves there. We could sell all the four that we have and i wouldn't bat an eyelid. They are all way way below the standard required.

We need centre-backs. A couple. You build from the back. As it is there's not a single centre-back at the club that's even approaching what you'd call top class. It's a huge problem for us. We simply won't be doing anything if we head into next season with Carra as first choice either. People need to stop deluding themselves there. We could sell all the four that we have and i wouldn't bat an eyelid. They are all way way below the standard required.

That obviously begs the question, can we afford to pay a 32-year-old CB 90k a week to sit on the bench?

We need centre-backs. A couple.

Not for me. We need one and that's it. Carra is still good enough to play a part for us, Skrtel is well good enough to be a 3rd option at the back and with Kelly, Wilson and Ayala battling around the squad just adding another one would be sound.

carragher,s worth more than 90k a week and we can afford it

If we were to get two new CB's - and given we haven't had one consistently playing like a Liverpool defender should for two years, it's worth exploring - then I don't think that's true at all. He's declining and he has always been someone who needs matches to play himself into form so I'm not sure how viable he would be as a third choice. That's leaving aside his indications that if he wasn't regularly playing, he would look for first team football elsewhere.

As for worth, I don't think any of the teams we're looking to challenge would pay him a similar wage. I think his wages are worth mentioning as it's frequently a reference point when we discuss the rest of our older players(particularly Joe Cole and increasingly, Kuyt) but despite his performances of the last two seasons, Carragher is never included.

I don't think we should sell Carragher. Let him wind down his contract, and then give him a coaching role.

Now, we're being linked with Aiden McGeady. A lot of people were against him a few years ago, but he's a scottish lad, but we've got Kenny/Clark, and I haven't been following the russian league like I normally do... so I dunno if he's changed enough to earn the link.

What do you lot think?

Daily Star reporting that Comolli was at the Rennes v Marseille game. Possibly watching M'Vila and Taiwo.

Even though Rennes lost 2-0 on friday, they have the best defensive record in the Ligue 1 conceding a miserly 20 goals in 27 games. Marseille have the second best defensive record conceding only 23 goals this season.

Daily Star reporting that Comolli was at the Rennes v Marseille game. Possibly watching M'Vila and Taiwo.

Even though Rennes lost 2-0 on friday, they have the best defensive record in the Ligue 1 conceding a miserly 20 goals in 27 games. Marseille have the second best defensive record conceding only 23 goals this season.

Not bad considering one poster here said Taiwo was 'SHOCKINGLY BAD' or something like that... in terms of his defensive prowess.

MLB

With Kyrgiakos likely departing in the summer and us signing let's say Cahill,we have Carra,who turns 34 next season,Cahill and a bunch of inexperienced CBs. That's a suicide,mate.With Cahill injured we have a heart of the midfield very westhamesque.

Since when is Kygiakos leaving? I don't see any reason to sell him. He is a good back-up player and is one of the few players who provides us with height. I don't see any reason to get rid of him.

I think Agger, whilst being injured again, has been outstanding under Dalglish. He's quickish, makes his tackles, doesn't make mistakes and is a calming influence on the team.

Him and Carragher could share a spot next to a more dominant centreback, say someone like Gary Cahill, with Martin Kelly and Wilson providing backup.

Get rid of Skrtel definitely and possibly the Greek. The Greek has done well however we don't want to stifle the development of the younger players. The Mancs have Vidic and Ferdinand and Brown as a senior backup then play Evans and Smalling. Having Carragher, Agger, Cahill (or similar) then Kelly and Wilson would allow us to be solid and get games for the younger players

So, one centreback only needed to go with the leftback, left and right winger and a bit of a physical ball winner in midfield

I think Agger, whilst being injured again, has been outstanding under Dalglish. He's quickish, makes his tackles, doesn't make mistakes and is a calming influence on the team.

Him and Carragher could share a spot next to a more dominant centreback, say someone like Gary Cahill, with Martin Kelly and Wilson providing backup.

Get rid of Skrtel definitely and possibly the Greek. The Greek has done well however we don't want to stifle the development of the younger players. The Mancs have Vidic and Ferdinand and Brown as a senior backup then play Evans and Smalling. Having Carragher, Agger, Cahill (or similar) then Kelly and Wilson would allow us to be solid and get games for the younger players

So, one centreback only needed to go with the leftback, left and right winger and a bit of a physical ball winner in midfield

Agger is excellent. If he was fit I think everyone would want to keep him, but he's constantly injured. Of course, that will also make it less likely that someone will want to buy him, so we may end up keeping him.

Since when is Kygiakos leaving? I don't see any reason to sell him. He is a good back-up player and is one of the few players who provides us with height. I don't see any reason to get rid of him.

You're missing the point mate. You want to leave us with one first-choice centre-backs and several squaddies in this position. Pointless.