You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Nicky Maynard. Really? Is Pepe going to stay once he hears that we've signed Nicky Maynard. We're not Everton, signing shit players because they have to, we are Liverpool Football Club. Lets put it this way. Would any of the other big clubs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Utd, City etc be looking at him? No way. If we are to replace Ngog, it would have to be someone like Connor Wickham.

Suarez, Carroll, Kuyt and Wickham would be 4 very good attacking options. However, if we can't get Wickham and we aren't looking to spend big money on a back up striker then Steven Fletcher at Wolves might be a decent option. He impressed me whenever I saw him play for Burnley last season and he scored a cracking header when he came on as sub for Wolves yesterday. 23 years of age, Scottish international and a boyhood Liverpool fan apparently.

German giants Bayern Munich are set to join the summer race to sign Aston Villa winger Ashley Young.

Manchester United, Tottenham and Liverpool are all keen to land the England international.

Villa boss Gerard Houllier has previously warned off interested suitors by claiming the 25-year-old former Watford ace will not be allowed to leave Villa Park for less than £80million.

But it is understood the club could be forced to accept offers in the region of £12m, fearing the player could walk for nothing when his contract expires in 18 months time.

Bayern Munich had a scout tracking Young during Saturday's 3-2 Barclays Premier League defeat at Bolton - in which he missed a crucial penalty for the visitors.

Yet the Bundesliga outfit's representative was reportedly pleased with what he saw and provided positive feedback to the club, who are now poised to join the bidding war in July

Read more: Bayern Munich join Manchester United in Ashley Young race | Mail Online

I think he'll end up in London, if a club from that way comes in for him. If not we have a great chance of signing him.

I am quite confident that we will sign Ashley Young, Charlie Adam and Enrique (Newcastle) this summer for approx ~30m. If we could Hazard and Subotic to that list then we could really be in business - however a lot will depend on what we can shift out and at what cost.

Even if we sell a few of our fringe players we will not get more than 25 million.

Can't see 45 million transfer budget, given FFP, for us. If FSG have worked out a way to invest around 30 million other than our profits then we can probably get those players.

Edited by 18-5

I am quite confident that we will sign Ashley Young, Charlie Adam and Enrique (Newcastle) this summer for approx ~30m. If we could Hazard and Subotic to that list then we could really be in business - however a lot will depend on what we can shift out and at what cost.

I hope our business extends past this, I think we need a CB and a winger. And as you say Hazard would be ace, although he ha just renewed his contract.

I still think that Young is going to go to the mancs. Sorry. I'd be happy with us signing Enrique/Izaguirre and Adam though, as I think the bulk of our expenditure needs to be on the flanks. If we have enough money left over then a bid for Gary Cahill might be worth looking at as well.

Getting a CB would mean one of Skrtel or Agger leaving. We could raise money for a new CB by selling one of those and a fringe player.

I'd probably sell one or both of Skrtel and Agger. If Agger could stay fit I'd definitely keep him but he's just too injury prone. Skrtel is just too erratic and if it's going to be Carra and one other then we need someone who can pass the ball better than him.

I'd like to see this team next year

Reina

Johnson

Carra/Agger

Cahill

Baines

Parker

Gerrard

Meireles

Suarez

Young

Carroll

I would like to see what Meireles could do cutting in from the right and playing off Carroll. I think potentially he could repeat what Gerrard did when he played on the right for a season linking up with Crouchie

I'd love to see Parkers energy alongside Gerrard. I think that would be a great combination.

Baines and Johnson could provide the delivery with Kelly backing up rightback and centreback. I see next year being a transition for him before he becomes first choice the season after

Young is the bit of pace that we lack, especially away from home.

Those signings mean we would have players like Kuyt, Cole and Lucas in reserve which gives the needed squad depth. Would be happy with that

I'd like to see this team next year

Reina

Johnson

Carra/Agger

Cahill

Baines

Parker

Gerrard

Meireles

Suarez

Young

Carroll

I would like to see what Meireles could do cutting in from the right and playing off Carroll. I think potentially he could repeat what Gerrard did when he played on the right for a season linking up with Crouchie

I'd love to see Parkers energy alongside Gerrard. I think that would be a great combination.

Baines and Johnson could provide the delivery with Kelly backing up rightback and centreback. I see next year being a transition for him before he becomes first choice the season after

Young is the bit of pace that we lack, especially away from home.

Those signings mean we would have players like Kuyt, Cole and Lucas in reserve which gives the needed squad depth. Would be happy with that

Parker is 30 now. Not worth the fee involved. And not the way Fenway want to go.

Parker is 30 now. Not worth the fee involved. And not the way Fenway want to go.

How much do you reckon? I don't think we can turn round and sign an entire team of 21 year olds to be honest and expect the consistency.

I think the performance he put in against us was brilliant and we could do with some of that drive and energy every week. He's still one of the mist underrated players in the league and should be playing for a top 5 team. He would get into every top team in this league so I hope we'll look for players of his quality this summer even if he is a short term measure

Which "squad players" are you talking about? I suppose one could argue that Benitez bought too many "second choice" or "squad players", but the bottom line is he bought too many shit players.

There was not enough attention spent on players of exceptional quality or talent.

Some of those 'shit' players weren't necessarily shit before they came. Some pretty decent players at other clubs came here and stunk, because they weren't good enough for a top club.

Plenty of very good players go to top clubs and fail (see Shevchenko at Chelsea, Veron at United, many other examples). It doesn't necessarily mean they are shit. However it just means we should be looking at the best, and only the best to maximise their potential to succeed. Going after players who've had very good seasons statistically, but clearly don't have the elite level talent, ain't gonna get us challenging again. We've bought a number of players like that who've failed here.

How much do you reckon? I don't think we can turn round and sign an entire team of 21 year olds to be honest and expect the consistency.

I think the performance he put in against us was brilliant and we could do with some of that drive and energy every week. He's still one of the mist underrated players in the league and should be playing for a top 5 team. He would get into every top team in this league so I hope we'll look for players of his quality this summer even if he is a short term measure

Depends how much money is involved for a short term measure. The policy the club is promoting is going after youth. Players with a number of years left, so not only to the have room for improvement and a number of years potentially with the club, but they likely have good sell on value.

If we were to buy a player of his type from the Premiership, Charlie Adams is far better value.

There was not enough attention spent on players of exceptional quality or talent.

Some of those 'shit' players weren't necessarily shit before they came. Some pretty decent players at other clubs came here and stunk, because they weren't good enough for a top club.

Plenty of very good players go to top clubs and fail (see Shevchenko at Chelsea, Veron at United, many other examples). It doesn't necessarily mean they are shit. However it just means we should be looking at the best, and only the best to maximise their potential to succeed. Going after players who've had very good seasons statistically, but clearly don't have the elite level talent, ain't gonna get us challenging again. We've bought a number of players like that who've failed here.

Quality over quantity.

Liverpool and Tottenham are back in the chase to sign January transfer target Mirko Vucinic after his agent hinted that Roma may listen to offers for the 27-year-old striker in the summer.

Full story: Metro

Liverpool have been knocked back by Middlesbrough after attempting to sign the Teessiders' 18-year-old winger Cameron Park.

Full story: the Times (requires subscription)

BBC Sport - Football - Tuesday's gossip column - transfers and rumours

Liverpool and Newcastle United scouts have both recently been spotted at Lille games in Ligue 1, suggesting a bid will soon be made from each club for one of the French club's star players.

Eden Hazard is undoubtedly the club's star asset, but signed a new deal very recently.

Still, every player has his price, and Lille could well sell their Belgian winger if a huge offer comes in - with the player perhaps merely showing his loyalty to the club by securing them a high fee when he inevitably moves on.

Nevertheless, it is perhaps more likely that both clubs are now considering a move for Gervinho, while Newcastle are also interested in Moussa Sow.

Cote D'Ivoire winger Gervinho greatly impressed at the 2010 World Cup, and has spoken of his desire to move to the Premier League before, while Sow is the top scorer in Ligue 1 with 17 goals from 25 games.

Perhaps Alan Pardew believes he is the man to replace Andy Carroll up front at St James Park.

Newcastle and Liverpool in transfer scramble for Ligue 1 hitmen - Sportingo

Hazard and Sakho have both signed contract extensions at Lille and PSG respectively. We could be priced out for both the players in the summer. Even if rumours about Marveaux are true, we would still need a couple of injury free wingers. Sanchez is being valued at around 30 million pounds. Other players who we could take a look at are Jovetic, whose agent has recently said that we were in for him in the summer, and

, who Slur described as the best talent to come out of Brazil. Douglas Costa, 19, has been very impressive for Shakhtar Donetsk scoring 6 goals and 9 assists in 25 games and is valued at around 10 million. He is a left footed winger who was scouted by United- along with Hernandez- in the summer but Donetsk signed him from under their noses. Tricky feet, takes a good free kick and can cross- would be a very good buy if we fail to get our first targets. Not many have seen him so the competition will be less. Only issues are his temperament and consistency.

Scouted in the summer? Costa signed for Shakhtar before last summer.

Sorry, he signed for Shakhtar in January but they were in for him last year or the year before last-I don't remember correctly.

Anyway what do you think of him?

He's pacey as fuck and technically pretty good.

I quite like the look of their other Brazilian winger, Willian.

Shakhtar are a very good team. However, they don't need money --- so they can afford to pay big wages and big transfer fees, as the owner is a huge football fan, and rich like Abramotwat without being meddling.

I would rather us sign 2 top drawer players, maybe another 2 very good prospects/ bargains rather than obliterate the squad selling half of it as i think it is unrealistic that most players could be replaced with better players for the same fee we would recieve.

I wouldnt mind taking a punt on Left Winger Arda Turan who would be reasonably cheap and would love to come to us. "I want to play in major leagues and my dream team is Liverpool F.C.." He also included his dream of play for Liverpool FC "As I always mention, Liverpool attracts me because of their tradition. In Europe, I am a Liverpool supporter, so if I go to play in Europe, I would like to play for them."

Liverpool target Christian Eriksen, 19, says Barcelona are the only club who could tempt him away from Ajax.

The Danish midfielder said: ‘If I got an offer from Liverpool now, I believe I would reject it. If I did move, it would have to be Barcelona.’

Read more: Christian Eriksen in Liverpool snub: If I did leave Ajax it would be for Barcelona, says Dane | Mail Online