You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very disappointed we didn't go for an established cb in the summer who could walk straight into 1st team

now we have Coates who is probably below Agger and Skrtel in the pecking order and the question marks over Carra's ability to carry on as the top pick cb still remain

conclusion: £7m spent but pretty much in same position than before

Is Aussie Red meant to dislike Carra or something?

Not at all. At one stage I thought he was the most underated player in the league. In interviews he comes across as a great down to earth sort. Gets a bit carried away on the field sometimes but I've played with that type before and every team needs one.

I'm not privy to rumours about him making power plays in the dressing room etc. To be honest, even if he did, it all worked out in the end, with Kenny being back at the club.

Do I think he is good enough to be first choice at the moment? Absolutely not. Nothing against the guy but I think football is becoming more of a game for young men, particularly in the Premier League.

So... why do you have to be a club legend to be treated with a bit of respect when you make a crucial error? Why isn't the same courtesy extended to other players (e.g. a young foreign player new to the league)?

very disappointed we didn't go for an established cb in the summer who could walk straight into 1st team

now we have Coates who is probably below Agger and Skrtel in the pecking order and the question marks over Carra's ability to carry on as the top pick cb still remain

conclusion: £7m spent but pretty much in same position than before

In my opinion we should have signed an established CB and Coates as well if we really wanted him because CB has been the weakest area of the squad since Hyypia left. Agger's brittleness makes it a lot more weaker when he's out.

Says the man who saw a rugby tackle on Saturday.

And pronounced Kyrgiakos "comfortably our best centre half" last season!

No, no poison there.

He helped us a great deal at a time when we had little ability to defend set pieces. It was said for a particular moment in time.

Still don't understand why it is poison. So, dramatic. What motive do I have or what could possibly have poisoned me against him???

I haven't questioned his effort or dedication or love for the club, I just don't think he is good enough. There would be millions of people who would love to wear the shirt but are not good enough, he has worn it more times than any bar one. He has had his day and made us all proud, now it's time to do the honourable thing and let someone else have an opportunity. He does not have a right to the shirt, it must be re earned every single match. If anything, it would be a shame for his legacy to be tarnished with continued poor performances.

So are some people suggesting that Martin Kelly, a young lad with no experience of being a centre half in this league, or a new lad from S America (ditto) must go straight in now?

Because that smacks a fair bit of "anyone but Carragher" to me.

If it is a case of getting the younger lads used to the rigours of life in the top flight, learn from their mistakes (because they will make some) and gain some vital experience so we can be better prepared for the future, then are you going to lay off the demands to 'compete' in the short term?

And more importantly lay off the criticism of the kids?

People talk of their knowledge of the game and their years watching it, yet think Carragher can just be swept aside and we can not only carry on as normal but be even better straight away.

And also claim we should pick Kelly at centre back so we can "protect his hamstrings" whilst an older better player was put at right back for weeks on end and was told to shut his fucking mouth and obey, or else.

No hypocrisy there then.

He helped us a great deal at a time when we had little ability to defend set pieces. It was said for a particular moment in time.

Still don't understand why it is poison. So, dramatic. What motive do I have or what could possibly have poisoned me against him???

I haven't questioned his effort or dedication or love for the club, I just don't think he is good enough. There would be millions of people who would love to wear the shirt but are not good enough, he has worn it more times than any bar one. He has had his day and made us all proud, now it's time to do the honourable thing and let someone else have an opportunity. He does not have a right to the shirt, it must be re earned every single match. If anything, it would be a shame for his legacy to be tarnished with continued poor performances.

"Kenny, please don't pick me, I'm not good enough."

It's about doing what is best for the team. The more you post the more it sounds like you are more interested in having a happy Carra than a successful Liverpool.

He played right back because he was behind Henchoz and Hyppia in the CB pecking order. Kelly has come up as a CB but is playing RB because CB has less margin for error and his lack of experience may be a concern.

Regarding "anyone but Carragher". All we can go on is the evidence we are presented with. He has made two crucial errors in two games and has continued his hoofing. The fact is, is that we know what we will get from Carra. So yes, "anyone else". Anyone else who has not yet been provided an opportunity to demonstrate that he can play the position.

So are some people suggesting that Martin Kelly, a young lad with no experience of being a centre half in this league, or a new lad from S America (ditto) must go straight in now?

Because that smacks a fair bit of "anyone but Carragher" to me.

If it is a case of getting the younger lads used to the rigours of life in the top flight, learn from their mistakes (because they will make some) and gain some vital experience so we can be better prepared for the future, then are you going to lay off the demands to 'compete' in the short term?

And more importantly lay off the criticism of the kids?

People talk of their knowledge of the game and their years watching it, yet think Carragher can just be swept aside and we can not only carry on as normal but be even better straight away.

And also claim we should pick Kelly at centre back so we can "protect his hamstrings" whilst an older better player was put at right back for weeks on end and was told to shut his fucking mouth and obey, or else.

No hypocrisy there then.

So what experience of playing centre back did Carragher have,

before he actually got his chance to play there?

So at the wise old age of 8 or 9,

you where a good of a player?

I'll forgive the missing words and bad grammar, and let you know that I've seen plenty of Yeats on video, I have had dozens of conversations about him with people who watched him through his best years at Liverpool. Most of those would agree that Carragher was the better defender. More mobile, not as easily turned, a better organiser, and a better reader of the game. I always remember in my youth how Larry Lloyd was generally seen as a better footballer than Yeats when he got into the team. I think that was merely because he had slightly better technique, not because he was a better defender.

He was a promising centre half, prone to the odd lapse in judgment but filled in at Centre Half until Henchoz was fit.

Do we really need Carragher at every home match though, or even every match?

Was he needed for his defensive ability on Saturday, when the majority of the game was played in their half and therefore the one area of his game where he is weak, regardless of how much you rate him, is highlighted!

I counted at least three occassions when they had just cleared the ball and we had them under pressure and his first action was to turn and play it safe back to Pepe rather than stop and play it forward, which completely lost momentum. He is clearly on the wane regarding his ability to player each and every match.

I'd love to see Kelly given the chance. I think that people should bear in mind that when JC does get left out of the team, there is likely to be a rocky period of transition. The last thing you want to see is Kelly (or Coates) getting a hard time because the formation and organisation takes time to bed in.

He was a promising centre half, prone to the odd lapse in judgment but filled in at Centre Half until Henchoz was fit.

Do we really need Carragher at every home match though, or even every match?

Was he needed for his defensive ability on Saturday, when the majority of the game was played in their half and therefore the one area of his game where he is weak, regardless of how much you rate him, is highlighted!

I counted at least three occassions when they had just cleared the ball and we had them under pressure and his first action was to turn and play it safe back to Pepe rather than stop and play it forward, which completely lost momentum. He is clearly on the wane regarding his ability to player each and every match.

When was he a promising centre half before he actually played there?

He came in to the side as a defensive midfielder then had spells at right/left back