You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

I don't think carroll is a bad player, but he just doesn't suit our style of play. Really was a bad decision to buy him and its obvious he's not going to make it here just like torres isn't going to make it at chelsea. We would need to change our style of play to suit him and thats never going to happen. Plus he has a awful first touch and not much of a football brain.

It looks this way at the moment but i wonder if there are any plans to bring any players in,ie more wide players,to help try to bring the best out of Carroll?

I think that whatever happens he will see out the season and the club will take it from there.

It seems to me that Newcastle means everything to him. In truth, I think that he never wanted to leave. He was Newcastle No.9 and had played for England. He was able to live in familiar surroundings and was a local lad who done good.

I suspect that he never would have come if it were completely down to him. I think that he needs to go back as being Newcastle No9 inspires him.

It looks this way at the moment but i wonder if there are any plans to bring any players in,ie more wide players,to help try to bring the best out of Carroll?

I think that whatever happens he will see out the season and the club will take it from there.

We need at least one wide player anyway. Not convinced we'll sign players just to get the best out of Carroll. He's shown absolutely nothing, and certainly no reason to build the side to suit him.

I think you're right we'll make a decision next summer, aside from anything else, his stock is so phenomenally low at the moment we'd struggle to recoup a quarter of what we paid if we considered offloading in January.

To me the whole thing is just fucking frustrating as fuck.

I honestly believe theres a beast of a player locked away in there and I want the lad to succeed.

Basically the only way hes going to eventually regain the form he once had is to play him.

But right now when we play him he just does not fit in. Not for lack of effort, its just obvious our style of football does not suit him one bit.

So the only options we have are to keep playing him until he fits into our system(which runs the risk of just pissing away points) or we change our style to suit him.

Basically both options would just make no fucking sense right now and it begs the question what else can we do.

Admit we made a mistake and fuck him off, it’s got to the point now where he is actually hindering out chances of winning games and finishing in the top 4.

If Kenny continues to play him; he’s putting his pride above the clubs best interests.

Have to say i totally agree.I feel sorry for the lad but i just cant see it happening for him.Think we should cut our loses sooner rather than later.

SV has already dug him a grave and filled in the insurance claim form. I think for once he might be on the money.

Although TBH I don't think we have an option other than to stick with him in an increasingly diminishing role until he either gets good or we've depreciated his book value to something less than we can get for him.

I heard a rumour today that the lad is badly homesick and the club are maybe looking to move him on! make of it what you will. It would require balls of steel to sell him in Jan.

After reading this I was interested in what Newcastle fans would think so I went and had a look on one of the forums.

They have a thread about buying him back for £20 million. It’s about 90% of the people who have commented who said they’d take him back in a heartbeat with the other 10% says he’s a Judas and can rot in the hole he dug himself.

Interesting comment was this…

“From what I've seen from him at Liverpool he just doesn't look as mobile as he was for us. He is unplayable in the air and has a powerful strike, but the reason they were prepared to pay 35 mil was because he could run around the park like someone who is 8 inches shorter. Without the mobility he is just another target man, one which is great in the air but lacks a consistent first touch and passing ability.”

What do you think has changed him the player this fan has described because I’ve not seen any real mobility from him nor have I seen him turn on the ball.

Guest ShoePiss

I'd really like to understand his attitude towards training, I've read a lot of stuff about him being terrible in training but don't know whether to believe it or not.

Was it Reina that said he was the worst trainer?

I'd really like to understand his attitude towards training, I've read a lot of stuff about him being terrible in training but don't know whether to believe it or not.

Was it Reina that said he was the worst trainer?

Yes. But that was on Soccer AM, which is the worst programme on television, so I wouldn't take it as gospel.

The worst of it is I don't think we pissed away just 35m on Caroll. I recon we spent another 20m on Downing to put the ball on Andy's head. Something which he has failed to achieve.

I'm not prepared to give up on him yet but he needs to be in the box and have quick balls for him to attack. He can't join in the tipy tapy stuff Suarez thrives on. He is not that sort of player.

I think games like last night don't suit him to be honest. At home when we are pinning teams back he should be bagging tons of goals. That's not happening because he is not playing or not getting a decent run when he does.

At home when we are pinning teams back he should be bagging tons of goals. That's not happening because he is not playing or not getting a decent run when he does.

He has had a fair few games at home though and only thrived in one - Man City last season.

I just think big strikers like Carroll aren't what consistently beat Premiership teams. All Premiership teams have big, strong centre backs who are good in the air.

Look at the best attacking players in the leaguye at the moment - they are all quick, skillful or have great movement - Suarez, Rooney, Aguero, Silva, Modric etc.

The opposition want us to cross to Carroll, as it is easier to defend against than 'pass and move', that Suarez, Bellamy etc offer.

To me the whole thing is just fucking frustrating as fuck.

I honestly believe theres a beast of a player locked away in there and I want the lad to succeed.

Basically the only way hes going to eventually regain the form he once had is to play him.

But right now when we play him he just does not fit in. Not for lack of effort, its just obvious our style of football does not suit him one bit.

So the only options we have are to keep playing him until he fits into our system(which runs the risk of just pissing away points) or we change our style to suit him.

Basically both options would just make no fucking sense right now and it begs the question what else can we do.

I'm hopeful that in time he'll adapt though. I believe he has good match intelligence and if Kenny can guide him through this difficult phase he's going through lately I believe he can still come good.

I thought he played quite well in patches last night. The one thing I'm sticking to is Kenny's statement thats he's been bought for 5 years not for the short term. If the King is prepared to have patience then so am I. Really hope things work out for him because he's a player I really like. Indeed we might not see the real Andy shine until next season.

That's exactly what everyone said last season.

TBH I never really counted that as a season seeing as he was injured for the majority of it mate. I'm not blinkered about him though I can definitely still see it going tits up with him. I like him though and I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Plenty of players take a full whole season to fit in for various reasons. Could be the case with Andy.

Plenty of players take a full whole season to fit in for various reasons. Could be the case with Andy.

True.

I think that is mainly for foreign players though. Pires at Arsenal for exmaple was poor in his first season, then looked brilliant the next.

Lucas has obviously improved, but it is a bit different for a player coming over from Brazil, having to learn our language, culture and even a new position - as he was a bix to box midfielder before he came here.

Andy however knows the culture and has always played upfront.

True.

I think that is mainly for foreign players though. Pires at Arsenal for exmaple was poor in his first season, then looked brilliant the next.

Lucas has obviously improved, but it is a bit different for a player coming over from Brazil, having to learn our language, culture and even a new position - as he was a bix to box midfielder before he came here.

Andy however knows the culture and has always played upfront.

Yeah I know what you mean LFD and you have a point as well but I think it is a possible reason all the same. I believe he was quite happy at Newcastle and it probably was a bit of a wrench leaving for him. A year older and the maturity that comes with that will see a big change in him. That's my hope anyway.

To be fair its a huge upheaval for the big fella. A new language, different beer, and Hayley Nolan isn't around to make his tea for him, nor is Kevin around with a fire extinguisher - just in case.

When you get a £35m move (think of the signing on fee) plus £80k a week and you have scored fewer PL goals than D J Campbell it is going to do things to your head.

It is going to be in everyone's interests that we cross our fingers and hope on this one.

The worst of it is I don't think we pissed away just 35m on Caroll. I recon we spent another 20m on Downing to put the ball on Andy's head. Something which he has failed to achieve.

I'm not prepared to give up on him yet but he needs to be in the box and have quick balls for him to attack. He can't join in the tipy tapy stuff Suarez thrives on. He is not that sort of player.

I think games like last night don't suit him to be honest. At home when we are pinning teams back he should be bagging tons of goals. That's not happening because he is not playing or not getting a decent run when he does.

I think that's a great point about Downing, but it very rarely happens. It's frustrating as fuck to see Downing come inside the majority of the time rather than stay out wide to get the crosses in. Maybe he's just making space for Enrique. On the odd occasion he beats his man, he's put some decent crosses in.

I suppose it's all to do with service, IMO Carroll is better running onto the ball as opposed to having his back to goal. Unlike Judas no2 getting high balls knocked up to him when Professor Yaffle was in charge.

I think he has it in him, i think he needs a year or so. He moved early and left his boyhood club to join the biggest sleeping giant in football, maybe in all of sport?

The price tag was down to Torres and the Jan window and I don't care about that.

The scum have kept players and they have flourished years later, it's how it works.