You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

I can understand wanting rid for certain reasons, and I can understand wanting to give him time for other reasons, but what do chelsea have to do with this?

If we keep him it should be because they genuinely believe they can get something out of him. not to save face. there's no point in being 'proud' about it.

Yes but we sit and laugh at their ludicrous merry go round policy of player and manager alike. Their club is a mess because they just keep messing with it do we want to sink to their level by selling our record signing after a year?

I really want him to come good but I think we may be getting near breaking point.

I think we aren't going to score goals with him leading the line and if we don't start scoring more we aren't getting 4th place.

Selling him is one thing, I don't know if thats a good idea or whether it will even be possible.

But most importantly, we just need to find someone who can score and take his place in the team. That should be the priority.

Carroll is 22.

Yep he is correct, nearly 23.

He is also nopt very good at football, doesn't suit our style, doesn't compliment Suarez, isn't a natural finisher and we should probably cut our losses.

What is (are) Carroll's redeeming quality(ies)? I'd like to know?

He's big. He has a hard shot. Allegedly a great header, though we haven't seen many evidences of that. He's still only "22".

On the down side, he's slow, has dodgy touch, has poor/atrocious anticipation with questionable positional sense -- in addition to his questionable professionalism and work ethics.

KD describes him as "naive", which is codeword for "stupid". He's 22, which is not that young in modern football.

He's poor on the pitch, he is also described by a teammate as poor in training -- which suggests he's not bothered by his current struggling.

Am I being unfair?

Guest ShoePiss
What is (are) Carroll's redeeming quality(ies)? I'd like to know?

He's big. He has a hard shot. Allegedly a great header, though we haven't seen many evidences of that. He's still only "22".

On the down side, he's slow, has dodgy touch, has poor/atrocious anticipation with questionable positional sense -- in addition to his questionable professionalism and work ethics.

KD describes him as "naive", which is codeword for "stupid". He's 22, which is not that young in modern football.

He's poor on the pitch, he is also described by a teammate as poor in training -- which suggests he's not bothered by his current struggling.

Am I being unfair?

Well yeah, you missed out that he didn't actually want to come and play for us.

Andy Carroll is to Liverpool what Edin Dzeko was to Man City. I'm praying with everything I got that the boy will come good. But my faith is really being tested.

Few things Dzeko has though is hes no slouch, he can move at a decent pace.

And hes got good technique and control.

He definitely shares similar traits with Andy but hes got more in his locker.

Selling him is one thing, I don't know if thats a good idea or whether it will even be possible.

The odds are stacked against.

He has five years of a five and a half year contract to run,( at 80k a week) thats £21m. Who is going to match that?

Politically it will suit neither Kenny nor Comolli to take a massive hit on the fee, far better for them to promise/hope that he will come good in the future.

The odds are stacked against.

He has five years of a five and a half year contract to run,( at 80k a week) thats £21m. Who is going to match that?

Politically it will suit neither Kenny nor Comolli to take a massive hit on the fee, far better for them to promise/hope that he will come good in the future.

I think your logic's sound but like everything in life good or bad eventually a point is reached where it can't continue.

We might not be there just yet but in Andy's case, playing him up top is detrimental to our hopes of a top 4 finish this season.

I don't think he'll be sold this January, but I can see us trying to bring in his replacement if that makes sense.

What I am not sure of is whether this is a football, or psyche problem.

A young man, whose universe revolved around Tyneside gets a wage and signing on fee package in excess of £25m, guaranteed.

There are those dedicated to their sport ( and there are many) whose focus is on sporting success, and the money simply comes with the job. There are others for whom it is a case of “job done”.

What bothers me is Andy is now surrounded by better players, and a more professional set up than Mike Ashley’s SportsDirectNewcastle. He also has the prize of an England Euro Finals place to play for with very little serious opposition. Simply being a flat track bully against Swansea, Sunderland, Fulham, Norwich etc would be “enough”, and not a big ask. But he is not even managing that.

i think we are judging him to early he played ok today head the ball up well linked well maybe should have scored i work with a manc n who is forever slating him but when i looked up berbatovs stats when he first went to utd he only scored 14 and 12 in his first two seasons and he was a seasoned prem player

we have a good young lad here who with hard work will start paying off i personnally think we should cut him some slack he has only started 10 games and been sub in 7 he has 4 goals so even if that works out end of season 40 odd games and 12 goals that is not terrible i know it is not good but he is young and will improve where as i

tell my mate berbatov is 31 in jan so we have 5 years with a young talent lets not destroy him on here like some did lucas now he truly missed

We have to sell the guy, he is so detremential to what we're doing here, fuck pride or saving face, Carroll simply does not have enough talent or adaptablity to turn things around the longer we just sit it out and hope he magically stops being shit the further his value depreciates. It's a catch 22 situation for Kenny and comolli as by not playing he can't increase his value but by playing he could further lower his value.

I think there’s a possibility he could never become good and this level is just too much for him. Look at Heskey…..was Caroll really more promising or more proven when he came to Liverpool than heskey was? I know Heskey is a joke now, but when Liverpool bought him, he was a big signing. You have to look at these two players and the type of football they thrived in, it’s the opposite of qhat Liverpool is playing. Either Liverpool have to adopt to Carolls strength or sell him, cause I don’t see how he’s going to adopt to pass and move style

i think we are judging him to early he played ok today head the ball up well linked well maybe should have scored i work with a manc n who is forever slating him but when i looked up berbatovs stats when he first went to utd he only scored 14 and 12 in his first two seasons and he was a seasoned prem player

we have a good young lad here who with hard work will start paying off i personnally think we should cut him some slack he has only started 10 games and been sub in 7 he has 4 goals so even if that works out end of season 40 odd games and 12 goals that is not terrible i know it is not good but he is young and will improve where as i

tell my mate berbatov is 31 in jan so we have 5 years with a young talent lets not destroy him on here like some did lucas now he truly missed

I difference being about 33million between the price we paid for Carroll and the price Bayer Leverkusen paid for 20 year old Berbatov

I think there’s a possibility he could never become good and this level is just too much for him. Look at Heskey…..was Caroll really more promising or more proven when he came to Liverpool than heskey was? I know Heskey is a joke now, but when Liverpool bought him, he was a big signing. You have to look at these two players and the type of football they thrived in, it’s the opposite of qhat Liverpool is playing. Either Liverpool have to adopt to Carolls strength or sell him, cause I don’t see how he’s going to adopt to pass and move style

Ok.

The problem is not only that Carroll is not working out but that we play better without him. We do not have the luxury of carrying a player in that position. If Suarez was banging in the goals and the midfield were chipping in too we could maybe play him in the games we should win. However, we even fail to win the games we should win so there isn't really any place for him in the starting line up unless we were a team that were guaranteed Champions league football every year. That is no longer the case.

United are able to carry a player and give him the time to find his form as they are always up there and have clinical finishers in their first 11 every year. When players like Nani are finding their feet, Rooney is banging in the goals.

Add to the fact that we don't have a huge budget to compete with other teams and we supposedly do in depth research on each signing, how on earth did Carroll for 35m make sense?

If I saw a better attitude from the lad and saw some real quality attributes in him then I would hold out more hope of him becoming good but let's face it, he is slow, seems lazy, hasn't got a great touch, doesn't seem to be on the same wavelength as the rest of the team. All I hear is that he has a great left foot and is good at heading the ball. The only thing he has going for him really is that he is young. Sure even the youtube vids of his best bits are embarrassing considering that thing makes El Zhar look like a world beater.

I understand having some away fans on here for a bit of exterior perspective, especially if they know their stuff.

Why this twat hasn’t been banned yet is beyond me, because he is quite clearly a fucking moron.