You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson Mega Thread: The Sequel

Dicko

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FSG hastens the hunt for new manager

Tony Barrett

Last updated January 2 2011 9:00PM

Prospect of Kenny Dalglish returning to dugout as temporary manager remains as owners seek change sooner rather than later

The desire of Fenway Sports Group (FSG) to bring Roy Hodgson’s reign as Liverpool manager to an end as soon as a replacement can be found has not been diminished by the 2-1 win at home to Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.

FSG has determined to remove Hodgson at the earliest possible opportunity and such is its desire to arrest a decline in which Liverpool have been unable to escape mid-table mediocrity for much of this season that it is willing to consider installing a temporary manager until the end of the campaign.

That throws up the possibility of Kenny Dalglish making an emotional return to the Anfield hot seat, but it is understood that the 59-year-old has not been approached with a view to taking over from Hodgson. Dalglish, though, remains a hugely popular figure with the Liverpool fans.

Unconfirmed reports emanating from Germany over the past 24 hours suggest that FSG has made tentative inquiries into the availability of Jürgen Klopp, the Borussia Dortmund coach who is widely regarded as one of Europe’s most promising as a result of his record with the Bundesliga leaders. Klopp is said to be happy in Dortmund, however.

Ralf Rangnick, who quit Hoffenheim at the weekend after a dispute with the German club’s board over the sale of Luiz Gustavo, the Brazilian midfield player, to Bayern Munich, is an intriguing potential candidate and the timing of his availability could push him to the forefront of replacements for Hodgson.

Rangnick is admired by Damien Comolli, the Liverpool director of football strategy, and his innovative methods have long since marked him out as a likely contender for a top job.

In the meantime, Hodgson is left in limbo in the knowledge that Liverpool’s owners are already considering the relative merits of his potential successors, but he refuses to allow speculation over his future to diminish his desire to bring about an upturn in fortunes. “It’s not about me,” Hodgson said. “The focus in recent days has been on me and my position. Look, I’m very pleased to have this job. Everyone wants to work at Liverpool Football Club and I’m honoured they chose me.

“I know I will do my level best to get the team to produce what this club should be doing, but it’s not about me, it’s about the club. I take the speculation seriously, of course, but I have to accept that if results are not going so well, then it will happen.

“I’ve accepted the plaudits over the past 2½ years when I was honoured as manager of the year, so I have to accept the speculation, too.”

After 4 seasons of failure under Rafa I`d be well pleased with a trophy would you not?

Well no, not if the cost is the rest of the season with that jibbering idiot in charge.

What fucking use is an FA cup or europa league win , if we finish mid table??

“I’ve accepted the plaudits over the past 2½ years when I was honoured as manager of the year, so I have to accept the speculation, too.”

Fucking hell, he is pathetic. Never fails to mention that "award" in an interview as if it makes him the greatest manager of all time.

He's a loser. A coward and a fraud.

Fucking hell, he is pathetic. Never fails to mention that "award" in an interview as if it makes him the greatest manager of all time.

He's a loser. A coward and a fraud.

He says it that much now I know when it's coming in an interview so I just walk away from the tele for 5minutes till he finishes.

Well no, not if the cost is the rest of the season with that jibbering idiot in charge.

What fucking use is an FA cup or europa league win , if we finish mid table??

I`d take winning a trophy over getting 4th every day of the week, I`d take it over finishing second as well.

But thats me though, you obviously have other standards.

What do you win for finishing 4th, 3rd or 2nd again?

I`d take winning a trophy over getting 4th every day of the week, I`d take it over finishing second as well.

But thats me though, you obviously have other standards.

What do you win for finishing 4th, 3rd or 2nd again?

You win a future, the opportunity to sign quality players and have a club capable of winning leagues. The obsession with the CL has rendered it infinitely more important than the FA / Europa league. You might prefer a trophy, but the fact remains is that by extension you would also rather never challenge for the league or European Cup again. That's the way of the game.

the lma award is a joke yet roy mentions it at very opportunity, does someone want to put up the list of past winners?

it's like the managers manager of the year so only 20 people vote so basically you can only win it if

a) you are british

b) you suck fergie's cock, lose to all the big teams and become part of the cliquey cartel of english old-school managers which includes such luminaries as fat sam, beachball head bruce, gollum, the wheeler-dealer magic melting face man and baconface himself

so roy that award isn't worth a shit and the fact that you constantly bring it up shows how smalltime and unliverpool you really are

Agree with that Code. In an ideal world we would be winning trophies and finishing top 4 and even winning titles.

Someone said what use is winning an FA Cup or Europa League if you finish mid table? Ask Manchester United fans what they think of their FA Cup win back in 1990 after finishing 13th in the league and the catalyst for their two decades of dominance under Ferguson.

We only currently have Pepe, Carragher and Stevie left from our last trophy win back in 2006. Our players don't know what it is like to experience winning a trophy for this club and you have people being blase over the possibility over winning one. Mad.

Winning that first trophy in five years could whet the appetite for further success. Look at 2001 as a case in point. We won our first trophy in six years in the February then went on to win two more in the May more than likely because of the confidence winning the League Cup gave us at the time.

Agree with that Code. In an ideal world we would be winning trophies and finishing top 4 and even winning titles.

Someone said what use is winning an FA Cup or Europa League if you finish mid table? Ask Manchester United fans what they think of their FA Cup win back in 1990 after finishing 13th in the league and the catalyst for their two decades of dominance under Ferguson.

We only currently have Pepe, Carragher and Stevie left from our last trophy win back in 2006. Our players don't know what it is like to experience winning a trophy for this club and you have people being blase over the possibility over winning one. Mad.

Winning that first trophy in five years could whet the appetite for further success. Look at 2001 as a case in point. We won our first trophy in six years in the February then went on to win two more in the May more than likely because of the confidence winning the League Cup gave us at the time.

What possibility?

Don't think we've a hope in hell myself.

Maybe, maybe not mate but we got to the semis last year albeit as one of the CL rejects and Roy despite what people say abit him got an inferior Fulham side to the final from the start of the competition.

The logic suggests we could do the same, I know logic goes out of the window in football but even so.

Maybe, maybe not mate but we got to the semis last year albeit as one of the CL rejects and Roy despite what people say abit him got an inferior Fulham side to the final from the start of the competition.

The logic suggests we could do the same, I know logic goes out of the window in football but even so.

All true, it's just that the tone of your post reads to me as if we're on the brink of winning one; maybe i've just misread it.

All true, it's just that the tone of your post reads to me as if we're on the brink of winning one; maybe i've just misread it.

Think you did misread it, but personally I fancy our chances in the Europa League two legged knock out games are well suited to Roy`s set up.

The fact we play the mancs away in the FA Cup makes that one a tricky one obviously.

But hopefully he will be gone before we will ever get to know.

Think you did misread it, but personally I fancy our chances in the Europa League two legged knock out games are well suited to Roy`s set up.

The fact we play the mancs away in the FA Cup makes that one a tricky one obviously.

But hopefully he will be gone before we will ever get to know.

I agree with the thrust of your argument. Trophies are what it's all about for me.

Guest ShoePiss

Why are our owners being referred to as FSG these days? I'm under the impression that it's NESV that own us and the Boston Redsox and FSG comes under NESV owning Rousch Fenway racing, Salem Redsox etc.

Why are our owners being referred to as FSG these days? I'm under the impression that it's NESV that own us and the Boston Redsox and FSG comes under NESV owning Rousch Fenway racing, Salem Redsox etc.

From Wiki.

New England Sports Ventures (NESV) is an American sports investment company. It is the parent company of Major League Baseball's Boston Red Sox and English association football club, Liverpool.

NESV was founded in 2001 when John W. Henry joined forces with Tom Werner, Les Otten, The New York Times Company (which owns 16.58 percent[1]) and other investors to successfully bid for the Red Sox.

The Boston-based limited liability company also owns Fenway Park and the Fenway Sports Group (which in turn owns the Salem Red Sox of the Class A Carolina League, a minor league baseball franchise), plus 80 percent of the New England Sports Network and 50 percent of Roush Fenway Racing, a NASCAR team.

Guest ShoePiss
Just so I'm clear on this Tony Barrett is saying Dalglish hasn't been approached about taken over?

"but it is understood that the 59-year-old has not been approached with a view to taking over from Hodgson"

Now about this FSG business?

Guest ShoePiss
From Wiki.

New England Sports Ventures (NESV) is an American sports investment company. It is the parent company of Major League Baseball's Boston Red Sox and English association football club, Liverpool.

NESV was founded in 2001 when John W. Henry joined forces with Tom Werner, Les Otten, The New York Times Company (which owns 16.58 percent[1]) and other investors to successfully bid for the Red Sox.

The Boston-based limited liability company also owns Fenway Park and the Fenway Sports Group (which in turn owns the Salem Red Sox of the Class A Carolina League, a minor league baseball franchise), plus 80 percent of the New England Sports Network and 50 percent of Roush Fenway Racing, a NASCAR team.

Yeah so why are the press and people on here referring to the owners as FSG?