You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fringe

Elite

I have also found the whole process of watching old tapes of Walter a bit hokey and long-winded. The sort of thing you'd expect in a camp 80s movie.

Yeah, that bit isn't brilliantly done. It seems a bit like an afterthought.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

But completely and utterly believable from Walters character.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

But completely and utterly believable from Walters character.

Very true! How great is the actor behind Walter, BTW?

• 4 weeks later...

Strange season. Some really good things, but this "plan" has dragged on long enough and they've bottled some of the more interesting dramatic choices.

Anyway the Golden Globe nominations were announced on Thursday and Noble's name was absent again, made all the more outrageous by another terrific performance in Friday's episode. I laughed a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

If the plan they outlined in that last episode was successful, wouldn't Peter and Walter also be dead? It was September who saved them when they returned from the alternate universe when they were drowning and obviously he would no longer exist. Or was that on a different timeline?

If the plan they outlined in that last episode was successful, wouldn't Peter and Walter also be dead? It was September who saved them when they returned from the alternate universe when they were drowning and obviously he would no longer exist. Or was that on a different timeline?

Yeah I don't get that at all either.

That was the big flaw in the last episode for me. Olivia said to Peter that she thought what they were planning was going to get Etta back for them, but if the observers never exist then how does Fringe division ever enter existence? That was just odd because September, Olivia, Peter and Walter should've all had that thought come up straightaway. If we can suss that as a problem easily I'm sure they'd have thought of it!

Of all the possible timeline alterations that could arise due to observers never existing if this plan works, how does Olivia think she'll still be in Fringe division, meet Peter and Walter, (who as you say, should both be dead!) then give birth to Etta at all?

As for your different timeline question, it still doesn't make sense how observers even exist if this plan works, so yeah, weird.

Maybe we're due to see this thing fall apart right at the end, but there's always a chance it'll work out somehow. None of them raising this question does seem like a pretty big error though.

Edited by Red Phoenix

We'll probably get the usual type of ending to something like this. Good in places, some surprises, etc, but not what some of us have expected because we've probably raised expectations to a level that it's never going to be able to live up to.

I am confident the finale will meet the occasion, Noble will bring it. As long as they don't try any of that Lost shit.

Yeah I don't get that at all either.

That was the big flaw in the last episode for me. Olivia said to Peter that she thought what they were planning was going to get Etta back for them, but if the observers never exist then how does Fringe division ever enter existence? That was just odd because September, Olivia, Peter and Walter should've all had that thought come up straightaway. If we can suss that as a problem easily I'm sure they'd have thought of it!

Of all the possible timeline alterations that could arise due to observers never existing if this plan works, how does Olivia think she'll still be in Fringe division, meet Peter and Walter, (who as you say, should both be dead!) then give birth to Etta at all?

As for your different timeline question, it still doesn't make sense how observers even exist if this plan works, so yeah, weird.

Maybe we're due to see this thing fall apart right at the end, but there's always a chance it'll work out somehow. None of them raising this question does seem like a pretty big error though.

In terms of Walter and Peter living you haven't gone back far enough there, well potentially not anyway. It was Septembers original intervention in the Alternate Lab witnessed by Walter that meant Walter attempted to cross worlds and save Peter.

If that event wasn't observed then Walternate would see it had worked and save the kid preventing Walter from needing to cross.

However, how that then would lead on to anything we have witnessed is well up for discussion.

In terms of Walter and Peter living you haven't gone back far enough there, well potentially not anyway. It was Septembers original intervention in the Alternate Lab witnessed by Walter that meant Walter attempted to cross worlds and save Peter.

If that event wasn't observed then Walternate would see it had worked and save the kid preventing Walter from needing to cross.

However, how that then would lead on to anything we have witnessed is well up for discussion.

Hah! That's awesome, thanks.

Well the day is finally upon us anyway, so we'll soon see how things turn out. However it ends though I have a ton of respect for J.J. Abrams and the other writers for experimenting so much with Fringe. To mix episodes up with the same actors and actresses but in different universes was something really bold, and I think it worked well, as did many other things they did. It's that experimentation that I love to see in sci-fi and other fiction, not the same old same old, because writers fear being different and losing the mainstream audience. Some of us want to be inspired and see new things, not be bored with repetition.

If only more people would try it, and more tv companies would allow it to run.

On another note, from the wiki page of Anna Torv who plays Olivia Dunham. I noticed this a few years back but didn't want to jinx anything when it came to the series carrying on!

"Her paternal aunt is writer Anna Maria Torv Murdoch Mann, who was married for 31 years to billionaire media mogul Rupert Murdoch."

Maybe that's one reason why this was allowed to run so long, because as far as I know Fox aren't usually so merciful with a tv series that loses numbers as much as this did over the years. (think of James Cameron's Dark Angel which was cancelled after season 2 for instance. That STILL winds me up.) I'm just glad it survived, because it shouldn't be just about ratings, it should also be about showing originality for those that want to see it. They have enough cash to be able to do that and still make profit so they should do when they can.

That was truly great. Loved the ending too. Was close to realising how it would end, obviously wasn't expecting that very last scene though! Feel like I want to describe more about how I liked it but lost for words at the moment really, have only just finished watching it.

Am going to miss it.

Edited by Red Phoenix

I did not really think much of the ending, but it was clean, clear and emotional. I think, ultimately, the Observers storyline promised much more than it delivered. In saying that, it was a very good show; if you give your time to something all you can fairly ask is that it stimulates you and Fringe consistently did that. Its mix of bold storytelling, ambitious ideas and humour was great to watch at times; it was also fun watching John Noble sculp Walter Bishop into such an engaging character.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, just wow.

Creators comment on it :

To be honest...I've been assembling the data for this infographic since I watched the pilot. I came to the show late and knew that it was one of those "mind bendy" shows. I've been planning from the beginning to make an infographic for Fringe one day, but had no idea how complex it would actually get. Every season I had to make major modifications to the structure (and cut out a bunch of information that became unnecessary to telling the overall story).

• 6 months later...

Have got to get this : Fringe - Septembers Notebook: Amazon.co.uk: Tara Bennett, Paul Terry, Jeff Pinkner, J F Wyman: Books

From a review on the same page :

The book covers in detail both the universes and the other timeline. You have Walter's history, stories about Peter's illness that leads to the crossing of the universe, Cortexiphan Trails, Massive Dynamic and their secret projects, Fringe division and all their agents and the cases they have worked on. That's just for the original universe.

In the later sections of the book, it looks at all the differences between the universes and timelines. So you have Walter(nate) and all the Fringe doubles from the alternate universe.

There's a lot to read. It's a good recap as the events are presented in more linear and hence clearer. You'll also get some insight because September's observations can be found in little blue notes all over the book. These are stuff you don't get from just watching the show, and there are many other nuggets of information.

• 1 year later...

All our people are currently being ace in Sleepy Hollow. There are a few changes, a headless horseman with a machine gun(not joking) for one, but the showrunners, John Noble and just strange shit happening are still in play.

There's an episode where the headless horseman(I wasn't joking) tries to gun down a police captain. After the event, the police captain reflects on it being somewhat odd and Abbie, our protagonist, says "You wanted proof,”. And he replies: "Honestly, I wanted it to be a lie.”