You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you have Benitez at Liverpool again?

RafaLaBamba

Would you ever consider having Rafa back?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ever consider having Rafa back?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think his football philosophy was ideally suited to this league. He was fantastic in Europe, but you need to be able to beat the teams who sit and defend to succeed in English football and ultimately he never cracked it.

You can say exactly the same for his predecessor and his successor all too defensive.

Sorry, but this thread is pointless and starting it was ill advised.

I agree with this.

Ordinarily, I'd come into a thread like this and post some sarcy shit about him to get a bit of a rise. I can't even be arsed though as its so fucking boring now.

He isn't coming back, no matter how much any of you want it to happen. Even when certain 'players' have fucked off.

The only way I would consider it is if Pako came back with him as to be fair Rafa was like Brian Clough without Peter Taylor never as good as when Pako was here because Pako was the only one who could stand up to him when he was going wrong.

He said Rafa had lost it when he signed Babel and he was right. He actually said he panicked.

Defo, we dominated 85 per cent of games under Rafa, if he got a few more quid we would be challenging for everything right now. Roy's philosophy allows weak sides to have a lion's share of possession, see West brom, Blackpool, Birmingham, Uterech, Aresenal(all be it with 10 men) and Northampton, gone are the days of "controlling" the game but id have them back in an instant.

Rafa Benitez was good for us, overall, in that he progressed the club on from Houllier.

But in two of his seasons we had the chance to finally win the League, and drawn games cost us the title, drawn games because he was too "safe" and pragmatic in his approach tactically in the league.

Roy Hodgson has to do better, overall, than Rafa Benitez or he will have failed.

How long he may (or may not) get to show that is a seperate argument.

I really don't know whether or not Rafa Benitez coming back would be a good idea, but whoever is our manager, he should get our support.

No way.

It seemed like every time the guy rolled out of bed he reflexively went and signed some sucky Spaniard/ Italian. Riera, Dossena, Morientes, Arbeloa, San Jose, etc.

As though there aren't enough terrible football players in England, he has to go and import them.

This ship has sailed.

Rafa is better than Roy. But I wouldn't go back. We should keep the special memories, in particular Istanbul, and in time the worst of it will fade.

If we get new owners a new manager should be on the cards. Pellegrini is available now, and he plays good football and has a good record. Or if we wanted to go younger, in the hope of catching the next big thing dynasty wise, Loew or Deschamps look the best of the younger managers to me.

If we go for a manager and have to wait, Kenny is in the wings and can 'steady the ship' - which is the basic requirement Roy has been failing to do.

Rafa - thanks for the memories, but let the past stay in the past.

No way.

It seemed like every time the guy rolled out of bed he reflexively went and signed some sucky Spaniard/ Italian. Riera, Dossena, Morientes, Arbeloa, San Jose, etc.

As though there aren't enough terrible football players in England, he has to go and import them.

This ship has sailed.

It shows how little you know when you add Arbeloa and San jose to that list. Arbeloa was one of the most under-rated players we had at the club and he's much better then any of the full backs we have now. As for San Jose, well hes coming on leaps and bounds at Athletic bilboa and is looking every much the player Rafa thought he'd turn out to be. Again much better then our current CB's barring Agger.

Edited by Lycan

Rafa like it or not, made us competitive against the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and the Mancs. I don't think too many managers out there can do that.

Furthermore, if I was the new owner, one thing is clear. Although Rafa demands alot of money to try and win the league and other trophies, he GENERATES alot of funds through his successes in Europe, and his wheeling and dealing with both youth and first team players.

How many other managers can say that?

Although Rafa demands alot of money to try and win the league and other trophies, he GENERATES alot of funds through his successes in Europe, and his wheeling and dealing with both youth and first team players.

Are you serious?

Rafa like it or not, made us competitive against the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and the Mancs. I don't think too many managers out there can do that.

Furthermore, if I was the new owner, one thing is clear. Although Rafa demands alot of money to try and win the league and other trophies, he GENERATES alot of funds through his successes in Europe, and his wheeling and dealing with both youth and first team players.

Are you fucking kidding me? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

I don't... even... fuck sakes... I just... what?... I mean... :wallbutt::wallbutt::wallbutt:

Its highly likely Rafa will win the league. And with the current Champions League team, I put Inter as one of the favourites to win it again.

But somehow, even if he wins the double in Italy, both CL and League, the anti-Rafa brigade won't take him back, because they hate him SOOO much

Are you serious?

Very much so.

The two cancers would be in worst shit and be forced to sell earlier (which I guess would be a good thing) if Rafa didn't regularly brought us far in Europe.

Look at the profits we were generating year by year. And still no transfer budget, he has to sell to buy

We generally made money with most of his players, as compared with Houllier's players. Compare his record against any previous manager at our club. Rafa's buys generally made more money after they are sold as compared to when he first bought them

The rare exception that we lost money under Rafa, and would probably lose money are the Premier league players from other teams. This is the Keanes and arguably the Johnsons. (Lesson, don't buy fucking Premier league players. They don't have the intelligence to adept to his style)

Name me ONE of Roy's players who are not on a free transfer who will be sold for a profit.

Not only his "rejects" made money, look at his players whom he turned into top world stars. Look at Alonso and Mascherano's transfer fees bought and sold. How much do you think Torres or Reina would cost if sold?

Are you fucking kidding me? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

I don't... even... fuck sakes... I just... what?... I mean... :wallbutt::wallbutt::wallbutt:

Well, see how much Roy generates from his player sales. Compare everyone from Houllier, Evans, Souness all the way back to Shanks. How many of them regularly sold players for a profit?

Hell, compare to wheeler dealer Harry fucking Redknapp. He only knows how to spend. Tell me how much they would be to sell? No one would be crazy enough to buy his overpriced british talent.

Compare with any City or Chelsea player. Will any of them be sold for a profit?

The fact is simple. I hate the fact that we have to sell to buy. A team with intentions to win should be buying players, and letting go players who are over the hill.

BUT if you have to buy to sell, Rafa has done a pretty good job