You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you have Benitez at Liverpool again?

RafaLaBamba

Would you ever consider having Rafa back?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ever consider having Rafa back?

• Yes
    • No

Of his main buys,

Profit (actual or predicted)

Torres Mascherano Alonso Crouch Reina Sissoko

Recoup (actual or predicted)

Kuyt Leiva Skrtel Garcia Bellamy Agger Benayoun

Loss (actual or predicted)

Aquilani Keane Johnson Babel Riera Dossena Pennant Morientes

Not a roaring success I'd say. One of the weaker aspects of his management, to be honest.

Mascherano was a 'ransom' job if ever there was one, we should have got more for him had we not been in such a mess.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PurpleNose
Of his main buys,

Not a roaring success I'd say. One of the weaker aspects of his management, to be honest.

Mascherano was a 'ransom' job if ever there was one, we should have got more for him had we not been in such a mess.

The profit on Torres, Alonso and Reina would probably cover most other signings. I'm not sure its a particularly accurate method of determining a manager's success in the transfer market.

The profit on Torres, Alonso and Reina would probably cover most other signings. I'm not sure its a particularly accurate method of determining a manager's success in the transfer market.

Nor me, and nor would I regard 'par' as success.

Think he'd need a few more 'finds' to have elevated him in that department.

We made a loss on Hyypia for example but I'd regard him as one of the buys of the last 20 years.

Whereas whatever profit was made on Alonso his sale had terrible consequences, and might have done had Rafa been given the 30m anyway.

Guest PurpleNose
Nor me, and nor would I regard 'par' as success.

Think he'd need a few more 'finds' to have elevated him in that department.

We made a loss on Hyypia for example but I'd regard him as one of the buys of the last 20 years.

Whereas whatever profit was made on Alonso his sale had terrible consequences, and might have done had Rafa been given the 30m anyway.

Its extremely difficult to quantify this sort of stuff. Wages, age of players, the market, timing of sale, pressure from above etc They're all a factor.

Basically I was quite happy with the first two/three years of signings. We improved steadily spending maybe £15m a year net.

I realised that there would be a few duff, but cheap, signings. Benitez had to take a few risks, such was the need to improve so many areas of the squad (and reserves for that matter) on what was a fairly modest budget.

Things got far more complicated from late 2007 onwards, and inevitably we suffered.

Of his main buys,

There's some info regarding Benitez transfer history (If the site is accurate enough)

++ / LFChistory.net -- Past Present Future

list=Get&manager_id=20&InOut=1&submit1=Submit

Throughout his tenures, he spent $231M pound, sell $161M, in other words he spent ard $70M from 2004/2005 to 2010, and i have not included the possible profit if we sell Torres/Reina etc. I believe Benitez in this article says he bought Aquilani for $6M and not $21M pound. And purslow said in recent interview that most of the profit go to servicing the interest of the loan instead of the field prove not much fund provided for Benitez. A sell to buy policy might be true in this case. That said, i agreed Benitez did buy some players who is not good enough but he is still doing fine imo for money management

So the question is would I welcome back Benitez after Roy....Fuck yes, anyone who says otherwise is anti-Rafa for no reason or likes us lavishing at the bottom of the league.

Now, if the question is should of Benitez stayed on, well no, but not for footballing reasons.

If we had new owners installed before the Rafa debacle he would probably still be here..

why would anyone ever want to have him back hes a shit negstive anti football manager?

Typical fan who only reads the headlines. Maybe you shouldn't read papers if they colour your opinion for you

Fact:

At Valencia, Rafa was considered an ATTACKING manager. This was compared to Cuper and Reneiri etc.

At Inter, Rafa is considered an ATTACKING manager. Eto'o prefers him to Mourinho and is scoring for fun again.

He only gets this stupid reputation because he had to build the team defensively the first 2 seasons.

No doubt, defence is important, and Reina regularly won the golden gloves or got runners up.

The fourth and fifth season we were top or second to top in the scoring charts.

Last season was particularly bad. However, although we weren't playing dashing attacking football, one thing most people missed. We would have gone further in Europe, and did better in the league especially considering our horrendous start, if we DID keep our regular clean sheets.

We were nearly ALWAYS aggressive under Rafa. Always hounding and always pressing. No doubt we could not afford a Messi or Robben or Ronaldo to dribble through 6 players to score, but tell me Gerrard and Torres in full flight isn't attacking football, or Mascherano biting at the heels of the midfielders, or Alonso's beautiful long balls to the wings.

Liverweb has it as

Total Buys £229,125,000

Total Sales £148,130,000

Which doesn't have Cisse as a signing but does have Owen as a sale.

Is it Chelsea? City? Even United? Of course not, but it wasn't nothing and was unquestionably deteriorating by the end.

Cisse was signed in 2003 Ste.

Parry confirmed it at the AGM.

Liverweb has it as

Total Buys £229,125,000

Total Sales £148,130,000

Is it Chelsea? City? Even United? Of course not, but it wasn't nothing and was unquestionably deteriorating by the end.

Ok and it will mount up to $80M pound from 2004/2005 to 2010 which is still acceptable imo to stay in top 5. 80M for 6 seasons consider he bring the team to CL every season, honestly i think he earn 80M himself. I think we can blame Rafa for bad signing but i think it's unfair to say he waste alot of money.

Liverweb has it as

Total Buys £229,125,000

Total Sales £148,130,000

That will be because Houllier bought Cisse and Rafa sold Owen.

Liverweb has it as

Total Buys £229,125,000

Total Sales £148,130,000

It's more than Utd, they have spent less than £10m a season under the Glazers.

Cisse was signed in 2003 Ste.

Parry confirmed it at the AGM.

But he arrives with Rafa, it's still a 'commodity' no matter what he or we thought of him.

If you don't count him then he becomes part of the Houllier squad members that Rafa sold to gain around 40m to go towards his own signings.

I really don't want anyone thinking I thought he was bad at it, or stand-out wasteful, but to compete regularly at this level there weren't enough bargains or 'steals' and there were actual flops by the end.

From the yanks and Athens onwards there is the evidence of a 'throw enough mud' mentality which has not worked to our advantage and has actually brainwashed a lot of fans into believing what stood us in good stead for decades can't ever work again.

Of his main buys,

He sold Crouch, Bellamy, Alonso, Arbeloa, Riise, Sissoko, Voronin and a few others for tidy profits on which they were bought. So Benitaur is right. Rafa had a knack of doing that. That was part of his transfer policy and he was succesful until he sold Alonso.

He sold Crouch, Bellamy, Alonso, Arbeloa, Riise, Sissoko, Voronin and a few others for tidy profits on which they were bought. So Benitaur is right. Rafa had a knack of doing that. That was part of his transfer policy and he was succesful until he sold Alonso.

He bought Keane, Dossena and Riera before that.

No i would not take him back, hes a cunt, a big cunt and a bigger cunt, the fat failure has no role at our club. (no doubt all the knobs (who want the fat fucks knob) wont agree)

Oiche mhaith mo chairde

there's no way on earth I want Benitez back but that post is outrageous, and you my man are a fucking idiot. Fuck off.

Does it really matter that he sold them for a profit though when what came in their places most of the time was inferior?

You could argue that all of those players still should be here now and we are crying out for some of them considering what has followed in their place in a lot of cases. When we try and shift some of his deadwood now that he isn't here do you think we will see profits on the likes of Dirk, Babel, Lucas, Johnson. You could probably just break even with Skrtel and Agger, we took a loss on Keane, Riera, Dossena etc so it is swings and roundabouts Rob, Big losses in some case considering they weren't here for that long. The whole revolving door policy became ridiculous by the end.

The only players who we would make a worthwhile profit on now are Reina and Torres. Wouldn't be much in it for the rest of the squad. You can't give Rafa credit for Riise for two reasons either, A. He didn't sign him and B. We didn't make a profit on him.

Yes, but in two or three seasons when we have new owners and the club has settled down after all this turmoil.

He understood the club and supporters and I would like to see what he could do with supportive owners. Maybe he'd still only manage to get us runners up in the PL but given the performances lately, I'll take that.

You don't know what you've got til its gone and replaced by an incredibly average, old-fashioned manager.

Does it really matter that he sold them for a profit though when what came in their places most of the time was inferior?

You could argue that all of those players still should be here now and we are crying out for some of them considering what has followed in their place in a lot of cases. When we try and shift some of his deadwood now that he isn't here do you think we will see profits on the likes of Dirk, Babel, Lucas, Johnson. You could probably just break even with Skrtel and Agger, we took a loss on Keane, Riera, Dossena etc so it is swings and roundabouts Rob,

The only players who we would make a worthwhile profit on now are Reina and Torres. Wouldn't be much in it for the rest of the squad. You can't give Rafa credit for Riise for two reasons either, A. He didn't sign him and B. We didn't make a profit on him.

You're right John and thats why we werent that good last year, we never replaced Alonso, Keane properly, due to bad performance in the transfer market and then the Keane money apparently went missing. We bought Lucas for 5 Million so Id say we would make a profit on him and Id say we'd make a profit or Kuyt aswell. We were never going to make a profit on Johnson and Babel is just a waste of space so no, he wont either. We did make a profit on Riise, Bought for 4 Million, sold for 5. Although, you're right he didnt sign him.

And yes Id take some of them players back but only because we are desperate and we have no back up. If we had any decent amount of money then we shouldnt be going anywhere near them.

Yes, but in two or three seasons when we have new owners and the club has settled down after all this turmoil.

He understood the club and supporters and I would like to see what he could do with supportive owners. Maybe he'd still only manage to get us runners up in the PL but given the performances lately, I'll take that.

You don't know what you've got til its gone and replaced by an incredibly average, old-fashioned manager.

One of the problems with Rafa was that supportive meant obedient. There was a system that was working at Valencia and he felt himself constricted by it and did not regard it as supportive'.

Always in these arguments there is the key question; which Rafa do you think we're getting back?

That's why he was, is and will remain a hugely divisive figure.