You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Having to have your dog put down.

lifetime fan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel for you mate, it'll be 5 years on 22nd December, me ma's birthday as well, since we said goodbye to our Max, he was a mongrel, daft as a brush, wouldn't do as he was told, and I miss him every single day.

My lad was just turned 1 when he got put down, and I still remember how protective the dog was of him!

Guest ian garro
Having our alsatian put down is one of my fondest memories. I know that sounds odd, and I can assure you that it was utterly heart breaking, but it was very dignified and nice as well. If you can afford to get a vet to come to your house do it that way. The vet will sedate the dog first and seeing your dog with no pain will make you realise it's definitely the right thing to do. Then say your goodbyes and have your last stroke, cuddle, kiss and the vet will do the deed. It's over very quickly and is a lot more dignified than a lot of human death.

It is like losing part of the family though, so I feel for you!

There's something in this I think. It's the way it should be I reckon - all making a fuss of her. If there's no other way, obviously.

I don't think it'll be any easier to take afterwards like, but at least they'll be really good, nice memories of her last few moments. You'll know yourself that you looked after her when she needed it, and she was happy when she went. It's a lot easier than having some big, traumatic episode finish them off.

Grim though...

BBC News - Grieving Brighton dog eats comfort blanket

Love works both ways. They got love for y'all too!

We've a runt of a jack russel too.

Scoo (the staff) was a rescue as she'd been abandaned by her owner as she had to have a ceaserian birth and the cunt didn't want her anymore as she had a scar.

When we got Milo as a puppy Scoo treated him as one of her own pups, he'll be as devestated as us without her, she lets him get away with murder!

Don't know if this will work...

Scoo and Milo.

Imageshack - 0088s.jpg

They look like great dogs bud.

I thought I would also add that my dad also had 2 dogs, one a dog alot like yours called Heinz and a cross between a German Shepard and something else (I want to say Collie but I am really not sure) called Harley, the latter being about 2 years older. And they were always there when I went there every weekend from when I was about 6-7. Heinz even use to sleep on the end of my bed when I was going to sleep.

Fast forward about a few years, Harley died about a year-2 years back, and now Heinz, has skin cancer and is dying himself. What makes it worse is I haven't been to my dads for about 3-4 years now so I never really got a chance to say goodbye to them which I am gutted about. They, like Zoe, the dog I was talking about in earlier posts, had been there all my life and it is still hard for me to know that one is gone and the other is slowly going.

They look like great dogs bud.

I thought I would also add that my dad also had 2 dogs, one a dog alot like yours called Heinz and a cross between a German Shepard and something else (I want to say Collie but I am really not sure) called Harley, the latter being about 2 years older. And they were always there when I went there every weekend from when I was about 6-7. Heinz even use to sleep on the end of my bed when I was going to sleep.

Fast forward about a few years, Harley died about a year-2 years back, and now Heinz, has skin cancer and is dying himself. What makes it worse is I haven't been to my dads for about 3-4 years now so I never really got a chance to say goodbye to them which I am gutted about. They, like Zoe, the dog I was talking about in earlier posts, had been there all my life and it is still hard for me to know that one is gone and the other is slowly going.

Gutted for you mate.

We were talking last night (when either of us could stop crying) and saying why do people have animals when it hurts so fucking badly to lose them? It's the sheer joy they bring you every single minute you spend with them.

Scoo's back legs are fucked and up till 6 months ago she still let Milo sleep on top of her.

When he was a very young pup Scoo was amazing with him, so tolerant. When he did get too much she used to gently pick him up by the scruff of his neck in her mouth, walk out into the garden and put him down in a flower bed that was too tall for him to climb out of.

She'd leave him for a couple of minutes then go and bring him back in the house and put him on his bed.

You can't teach shit like that!

Gutted for you mate.

We were talking last night (when either of us could stop crying) and saying why do people have animals when it hurts so fucking badly to lose them? It's the sheer joy they bring you every single minute you spend with them.

Scoo's back legs are fucked and up till 6 months ago she still let Milo sleep on top of her.

When he was a very young pup Scoo was amazing with him, so tolerant. When he did get too much she used to gently pick him up by the scruff of his neck in her mouth, walk out into the garden and put him down in a flower bed that was too tall for him to climb out of.

She'd leave him for a couple of minutes then go and bring him back in the house and put him on his bed.

You can't teach shit like that!

Haha, that's quality.

Yeah, dogs have a strange quality about them. With alot of other pets, like budgies, fish etc, when they die you are abit disheartened but you don't find yourself crying over it, and you are usually over it within a day. But with dogs it is really like losing a member of your family. Everyone who comes into contact regularly with the dog will also be saddened by their passing.

With dogs you find yourself remembering more good memories, even coming home after a day at work or school in my case, and them just being excited to see you and bringing you their ball/favourite toy. Little things like that you will miss the most.

Don't know if this will work...

Scoo and Milo.

Imageshack - 0088s.jpg

Fucking hell, mate, your Staff is so similar to mine that it's scary. She's the same colour as yours amd she too has got a big scar on her belly, but that's because she had a hysterectomy when she was younger.

As if by some fucking weird coincidence, I noticed over the weekend that she wasn't as quick when it came to running up the stairs or jumping up on the couch. Normally she's like a bull and just scurries up them, but she didn't have that usual spring in her step. I'm hoping that it's nothing serious, and it may just be because my sister took her on walks that were too long over the weekend, so she was just knackered, but even the thought of stuff like arthritis creeping in - which is inevitable as she's nearly thirteen and despite losing loads of weight is still a bit too big (as she was far too big 'cos my Auntie never used to walk her) - fills me with absolute dread. Even seeing how grey the hair's gone around her face is distressing.

In short, I can't even begin to imagine how you're feeling, and my heart goes out to both you and your missus. It's something I'm going to have to face with my dog sometime over the next few years, although I'm clinging to the hope that she'll just go on and live forever. All I know is that I'd be absolutely lost without her, 'cos she's my best mate. I don't think I'd have the strength to sanction having her being put down, even if she was in pain and I knew it was the right thing to do, I don't think I could do it.

Haha, that's quality.

Yeah, dogs have a strange quality about them. With alot of other pets, like budgies, fish etc, when they die you are abit disheartened but you don't find yourself crying over it, and you are usually over it within a day. But with dogs it is really like losing a member of your family. Everyone who comes into contact regularly with the dog will also be saddened by their passing.

With dogs you find yourself remembering more good memories, even coming home after a day at work or school in my case, and them just being excited to see you and bringing you their ball/favourite toy. Little things like that you will miss the most.

When he got a little bigger she used to gently pin him to the floor with her paw.

The dogs are our babies, our lives are ruled by them. Thats not a complaint though, far fucking from it.

Where we live, go on holiday, staying away over night etc Everything we do has the dogs at the front of our thoughts.

They sleep in bed with us for fucks sake, I know many won't like the idea but Scoo found it easier to keep warm and comfortable in our bed so the runt had to come too.

Fucking hell, mate, your Staff is so similar to mine that it's scary. She's the same colour as yours amd she too has got a big scar on her belly, but that's because she had a hysterectomy when she was younger.

As if by some fucking weird coincidence, I noticed over the weekend that she wasn't as quick when it came to running up the stairs or jumping up on the couch. Normally she's like a bull and just scurries up them, but she didn't have that usual spring in her step. I'm hoping that it's nothing serious, and it may just be because my sister took her on walks that were too long over the weekend, so she was just knackered, but even the thought of stuff like arthritis creeping in - which is inevitable as she's nearly thirteen and despite losing loads of weight is still a bit too big (as she was far too big 'cos my Auntie never used to walk her) - fills me with absolute dread. Even seeing how grey the hair's gone around her face is distressing.

In short, I can't even begin to imagine how you're feeling, and my heart goes out to both you and your missus. It's something I'm going to have to face with my dog sometime over the next few years, although I'm clinging to the hope that she'll just go on and live forever. All I know is that I'd be absolutely lost without her, 'cos she's my best mate. I don't think I'd have the strength to sanction having her being put down, even if she was in pain and I knew it was the right thing to do, I don't think I could do it.

Scoo is so fucking stubborn, well she is a staff, I never allowed myself to even contemplate that the arthritis might get too bad for her. She'd beat anything! She has been on drugs for 4 years and the vet told us her liver and kidneys would go first because of the drugs but bollocks to that, she still think she's a pup.

She has me wrapped around her paw.

She cant manage the dog flap now so I built her a ramp so she can waddle down from the kitchen into the garden. She goes into the kitchen and will bark to let me know when she needs a piss or a shit (the times she's aware she needs to go and doesn't just do it on the carpet and then look at it and think where did that come from?).

However the clever bitch has realised I have to walk pass the fridge to let her out and refuses to go out unless I give her a treat out the fridge before and after going outside to toilet.

Here's another pic of her Woo, shows how grey she is in the face.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1069/01313.jpg

Scoo is around 13 although we're not definate as she is a rescue, it's a good age for a staff and I pray yours has just had too many walks and it's nothing else.

Scoo will stay down stairs until I go to bed, she will then waddle to the porch and put her front legs up two stairs so I can get my arms under her to carry her up to bed.

Know how you feel, had to do the same two weeks ago to our dog and I still can't believe he's gone. The most upsetting thing I ever had to do was taking him to the vets. Last week my cat died too. Just a horrible couple of weeks.

Fucking hell mate that's harsh.

We have two of everything, horses, dogs, cats and rabbits.

I love them all (well apart from the cost of the horses) but the dogs are 'mine' if you like. Not because the bird doesn't love them as much as me, but because they have 'chosen' me.

I could be in a foul mood and just walking through the door and seeing them fills me with joy.

Fucking hell mate that's harsh.

We have two of everything, horses, dogs, cats and rabbits.

I love them all (well apart from the cost of the horses) but the dogs are 'mine' if you like. Not because the bird doesn't love them as much as me, but because they have 'chosen' me.

I could be in a foul mood and just walking through the door and seeing them fills me with joy.

We did have four cats and the dog, and now there's just the one cat left. The cat who died last week was 'my' cat and he'd been with me for 16 years, it broke my heart having to watch him slowly dying and take him to the vet to put him to sleep. 16 years of absolute joy with him but at the end, it just leaves you feeling so raw. Like I say, I understand what you're feeling, and I appreciate how difficult it is.

Guest Pistonbroke

We've always had dogs and were lucky enough that the last one lived until he was nearly 16. Always a shitty experience when you have to have them put down. We did it the way Spy Bee explained and were lucky enough that one of the wife's friends has a vet as a husband and he even buried him properly on farmland owned by his father. Still hurt like hell and even a few years later i often think about him. Having a break from having dogs for the time being. The daughter has two pet rats and they are great, but they only live for about 2 years. She's going to have to go through pain every two years if she persists in wanting new ones every time they are picked up by the Death of rats.

We've always had dogs and were lucky enough that the last one lived until he was nearly 16. Always a shitty experience when you have to have them put down. We did it the way Spy Bee explained and were lucky enough that one of the wife's friends has a vet as a husband and he even buried him properly on farmland owned by his father. Still hurt like hell and even a few years later i often think about him. Having a break from having dogs for the time being. The daughter has two pet rats and they are great, but they only live for about 2 years. She's going to have to go through pain every two years if she persists in wanting new ones every time they are picked up by the Death of rats.

Scoo is going to be cremated alone, we'll pay the extra to make sure we only have her ashes not some other manging mongrel.

I could never have a break from having dogs, my life wouldn't be normal without at least one dog.

I don't like 'replacing' dogs though so because I lost a collie when I was younger I wouldn't want another, when Scoo goes I wouldn't want another staff as it could never compare to her so it would be unfair.

I'm desperate for a weimaraner but will have at least 6 months getting over Scoo before I have another dog.

Guest Pistonbroke
Scoo is going to be cremated alone, we'll pay the extra to make sure we only have her ashes not some other manging mongrel.

I could never have a break from having dogs, my life wouldn't be normal without at least one dog.

I don't like 'replacing' dogs though so because I lost a collie when I was younger I wouldn't want another, when Scoo goes I wouldn't want another staff as it could never compare to her so it would be unfair.

I'm desperate for a weimaraner but will have at least 6 months getting over Scoo before I have another dog.

I'm not the type to have ashes in an urn but can understand why some choose to do so. We've been fighting our feelings about getting another dog for a while now and the kids keep asking when we will. Maybe next year, thinking of getting a beagle when the time is right. Weimaraner's are quite often used as Guard dogs over here in Germany.

I'm not the type to have ashes in an urn but can understand why some choose to do so. We've been fighting our feelings about getting another dog for a while now and the kids keep asking when we will. Maybe next year, thinking of getting a beagle when the time is right. Weimaraner's are quite often used as Guard dogs over here in Germany.

We live in rented accomodation, otherwise we'd have her burried. A mate is a traditional stone mason and is going to do us a little plaque. When we buy our own place she will be burried with her favourite toys and the plaque on show.

As for a weimararner I've wanted one as long as I can remember. Ask Melons!

Google Image Result for http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images16/WeimaranerGianni3Months.JPG

They are amazing dogs and with exercising and or conservation hunts are perfect family pets. Not for a long time yet though.

Guest Pistonbroke

Fuck, that's making the time scale i'm thinking of shorter. Cute as. ( the beagle pic )

The weimararner is an acquired taste, personally think they look better as they get older.

Fuck, that's making the time scale i'm thinking of shorter. Cute as. ( the beagle pic )

The weimararner is an acquired taste, personally think they look better as they get older.

Tell me about it, the bird really doesn't want one.

She has gone as far as a boxer or an all liver short haired german pointer but I want a weimaraner.

They certainly look better as they fill their frame but they are beautiful dogs.

Guest Pistonbroke
Tell me about it, the bird really doesn't want one.

She has gone as far as a boxer or an all liver short haired german pointer but I want a weimaraner.

They certainly look better as they fill their frame but they are beautiful dogs.

Most hunting dogs are great, but they do require a lot of attention and need to be trained at a young age. If you leave it too late it's hard to get rid of certain habits they acquire. I'd always get one as a young pup first rather than an older one.

I#ve always wanted a Rhodesian ridgeback but the missus said she'd chop me cock off if i turn up with one.