You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Poulson didn't make a single tackle all game on Sunday. He didn't even attempt to tackle anyone. He made 2 interceptions

Lucas made 4 tackles. He won all four of those tackles. He also made 2 interceptions

West Brom Lucas made 11 tackles. Poulson made 5

Lucas played less minutes in both of these games

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poulson didn't make a single tackle all game on Sunday. He didn't even attempt to tackle anyone. He made 2 interceptions

Lucas made 4 tackles. He won all four of those tackles. He also made 2 interceptions

Who says you have to make tackles? You can just position yourself in a place which forces the opposition to make a more risky pass and lose possession.

Maybe this is because Poulsen's first touch is better and his second touch doesnt have to be a tackle as much as Lucas?

Bit harsh after 5 games !

No, VD, (as you probably know) I was screaming "Bring back hanging" in the spirit of the knee-jerk hysteria of the clueless opening poster.

He would have burnt Ian Rush at the stake after a fruitless 35 mins of his debut. Best fans in the world.... really know their stuff.... not Sky generation instant gratification me, here, now, no not at all etc etc.

Fact. Lucas imrpoved last season with mascherano around the place. Now he is having to work twice as hard with this clown. Meireles looks half decent but how we are gonna miss Mascherano.

Poulsen is another example of a 2nd rate player being brought in and it only proves evenm more how much we lack ambition.

Jib it lad. I bet you dont even go the game

I thought he was very poor in the first half. He seemed to take an eternity to make his mind up.

Much improved in the second half though and he needs a lot more games before we can judge him.

He definitely improved in the second half. I noticed the decision making too - he seemed to take an age to play what was an obvious ball out square to the right, when Johnson was in danger of getting closed down. This is indicative of our midfield play for the last 18 months or so - there's been no zip, we've had lots of slow, predictable (and often telegraphed) passing, usually not into a stride, and usually backwards. Mascherano, Lucas, Kuyt and whoever was playing on the left - it was a dominant feature all last season.

Poulsen's first half performance had me fearing the worst, but he evolved into a quietly commanding presence in the second half - he makes himself available for the pass, he used the ball well in almost every case - after being caught in possession frequently in the first half - and he proved resolute in defence. The game didn't pass him by, which is a small mercy I'm grateful for - we've seen this happen so much with our ineffectual midfield over the past several months matches.

I’ve not been too impressed so far. His passing is poor, he’s slow and he rarely tackles or dominates the opposition. To be fair we’re not an easy team to come into and shine at the moment, but he’s not the sort of player able to come in and improve us. Still I suppose you shouldn’t expect that for 4 million quid.

May be better if we get a Gerrard/Meireles axis of passing and moving going and push the whole team further up the pitch.