You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent second half, some good individual performances.

You do just worry that we did not score enough goals. It will be tough over there and we could really have done with another one or two.

On the other hand, 4 competitive games, one freak goal conceded, not that bad.

Reasonably optimistic so far.

That was pretty awful. Sloppy in possession, too many stupid niggly fouls given away, and not much imagination going forward.

Could easily have been the Debrecen game from last season under Benitez.

Very disappointing, though given the number of changes it's not surprising it wasn't a great team performance, but very frustrating stuff.

Should have been three, with Poulsen's goal (don't care if was offside, if it was called offside i wouldn't be complaining but it wasn't, therefore it was a bad call) and the pen/Jovo's chance. A bit better in the second half, Poulsen showed he's better than has been made out, but Fabio's delivery was so inconsistant and there just wasn't enough movement at times. It also proves to me that 4-4-2 is not the way forward with thee players. Should have been Patches on for Maxi.

Still a win and a clean sheet, we'll be a stronger side in the second leg.

dammit, Cole sounds a bit gutted not to have scored. I hope he's not feeling the pressure too much. Both him and Jovo look a bit too desperate to get going.

I was underwhelmed by the appointment of Hogdson, and I have yet to see anything that may change that. I do think people hoping for some attacking play is in for a rude awakening, as he is more negative than Benitez.

And taking off Babel just after the goal was brilliant man management. With just 1-0 up we just stopped attacking with 10 minutes to go plus added time. He could have started a better team, and killed this off, no he have to take all the top players to Turkey, or we`re out.

And whose brilliant idea was it to make Cole the penalty taker?? As soon as I saw him pick up the ball, i said Oh no. One thing he did`nt need was the added pressure of a missed pen. He did`mt need that goal, he`s not a goalscorer. If that was the idea, then Torres should have taken it. I have never in my life been so certain of a penalty miss in my life before.

Poor and negative performance.

Apart from a good 25 minutes at the start of the 2nd half, I thought we were very poor. After making seven changes though I don't think you can expect that much in terms of fluidity and cohesion.

I'm worried about our style of play though this season. I can see lots of tight games where the result can go either way.

I was underwhelmed by the appointment of Hogdson, and I have yet to see anything that may change that. I do think people hoping for some attacking play is in for a rude awakening, as he is more negative than Benitez.

And taking off Babel just after the goal was brilliant man management. With just 1-0 up we just stopped attacking with 10 minutes to go plus added time. He could have started a better team, and killed this off, no he have to take all the top players to Turkey, or we`re out.

And whose brilliant idea was it to make Cole the penalty taker?? As soon as I saw him pick up the ball, i said Oh no. One thing he did`nt need was the added pressure of a missed pen. He did`mt need that goal, he`s not a goalscorer. If that was the idea, then Torres should have taken it. I have never in my life been so certain of a penalty miss in my life before.

It's baffling how so many are buzzing at the thought of his exciting football and young players. It's the complete opposite of what he's about.

That said, it's a results business so if we do well then I dont care if we get 1 goal then all stand on our goal line. But anyone who thinks we'll be exciting and Pacheco and co will be getting games everywhere are going to be in for a bit of a surprise.

I agree with this.

I'm still waiting for a striker & left back aswell, I assume we aren't going to buy any good quality strikers or a left back before the window closes.

I like Roy too. A lot. Tells it as it is, gives credit where it's due and gets giddy on the bench. Breath of fresh air after six years of 'we worked hard.'

Sounds like any random off the Kop could be your dream manager. Theres more to the job than a down to earth demeanor.