You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aquilani was always going to look at ease in Italy.... He sure as fuck didn't here. Horrid purchase.

"Aquilani had the best assist to minutes played ratio in the top five European leagues for last season"

Suggests that all he needed here was to find his fitness and more minutes on the pitch. With a pre-season training behind him he's back to full fitness. Surely we could have kept at least up until January and then made a judgement?

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Aquilani had the best assist to minutes played ratio in the top five European leagues for last season"

Suggests that all he needed here was to find his fitness and more minutes on the pitch. With a pre-season training behind him he's back to full fitness. Surely we could have kept at least up until January and then made a judgement?

Given that those assists all came in 2 games Burnley and Portsmouth, it hardly puts him in the Wesley Snijder class

He's like Van Der Vaart, remember... Roy was never going to play him and he's on the third highest wages at our club.

Pretty much confirms what I was told yesterday by a Juve fan. Says he's been excellent and their best player in the games he's played.

Here we are, crying out for someone with a bit of craft and game intelligence and we've sent him out there to save his wages. Ridiculous.

Yep, that's my take on it, too, although I think Krasic has been Juve's best player in every game I've seen. Alberto's certainly been impressive, and just what Juve lacked last season from midfield.

Didn't agree with the decision to let him go back then, and still don't. That's not to say that I'm convinced Aquilani would have played well here and and proved his worth to the side, but for what we saved in terms of his wages, I just didn't see the point in letting him go on loan. Especially when we had a squad that was already devoid of creativity. He'd had a full pre-season under his belt and seemingly had got over his ankle injury, so was looking forward to what he was going to do.

I wrote a (rather long) blog on it when he went as well if anyone's interested:

Part 1 - http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/blogs/woo/18-alberto-aquilani-debacle-part-1.html

Part 2 - http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/blogs/woo/19-alberto-aquilani-debacle-part-2.html

Given that those assists all came in 2 games Burnley and Portsmouth, it hardly puts him in the Wesley Snijder class

Aren't the Burnley's and Portsmouth's of the world our Achilles heal? Lesser teams that we readily fail to break down because of our lack of creativity?

I remain convinced that Aquilani's loan move was premature; whether or not it was Cecil's doing or Woy's, that is unclear.

It was a piss poor decision to let him go. The board have got almost every single football decision wrong.

It's looking that way. I'm convinced that Insua is better than Konch, for example, although Galatasaray seem to be struggling and letting in lots of goals.

It's looking that way. I'm convinced that Insua is better than Konch, for example, although Galatasaray seem to be struggling and letting in lots of goals.

People are going on as if Juventus are ripping up the Italian League, they've 11 points in 7 games and aqualani started 3 games, he contributed nothing last year and is not a loss, Merellis is much better suited to us.

Insua is not better than Konchesky, Insua was targetted as our weak spot last season and him and Dossena are the 2 worst players i've seen play left back for us, and I remember Julian dicks

Like he'd have made a sniff of difference yesterday. He doesn't have the mentality for the football here.

He's back in his comfort zone and hopefully he plays a load so we get our money.

He couldn't have done any worse than our midfield this season.

People are going on as if Juventus are ripping up the Italian League, they've 11 points in 7 games and aqualani started 3 games, he contributed nothing last year and is not a loss, Merellis is much better suited to us.

Insua is not better than Konchesky, Insua was targetted as our weak spot last season and him and Dossena are the 2 worst players i've seen play left back for us, and I remember Julian dicks

Fair enough, I'm not saying Insua is Maldini. But I liked what he had to offer going forward and think he will mature into a decent left back. I hate Konchesky, I can't deny it. I hate Joe Cole too but at least he has natural talent so there's something to work with.

In the three games he's started they've beaten Cagliari 4-2 at home, drew 0-0 away at Inter, and beat Lecce 4-0 at home. They've got a new manager, a new sporting director and a completely revamped squad, so obviously some bedding in time is necessary.

I still think that a midfield three of Aquilani, Meireles and Gerrard would have been great to watch.

You're right about Insua/Konchesky, though.

In the three games he's started they've beaten Cagliari 4-2 at home, drew 0-0 away at Inter, and beat Lecce 4-0 at home. They've got a new manager, a new sporting director and a completely revamped squad, so obviously some bedding in time is necessary.

I still think that a midfield three of Aquilani, Meireles and Gerrard would have been great to watch.

You're right about Insua/Konchesky, though.

He's a talented player but just not suited to the premier league

• 3 weeks later...
Alberto Aquilani completed 70 of 74 passes today (92.86%) another masterclass. Grazie Liverpool.

Since Aquilani became a starter, Juve are undefeated & he's completed 322 of 353 passes

I hope we give him another chance next year he's a quality player if you can set the team up to accommodate him.

Juve will buy him for sure. At 15 million, he's a fucking steal. To think they dumped Poulsen on us and fucked off with Aquilani...

In Italy.

He's fucking shit in England.

He was given fuck all time to adjust. I think Rafa mishandled him big time, basically writing him off as someone who could not possibly stand up to the likes of fucking Stoke and Bolton through the media and team selections/substitutes.

He may well be "fucking shit" in England, but I have no idea how the fuck you can tell given his disjointed intro to a dysfunctional team.

Poulson or Aqualani hmmmmmm it's a tough one. Aqualani would get the ball and look forward in the same way Gerrard's first touch is more often than not to open himself up, look forward and commit players.

Often our play is stoic and dampened by touches back, sideways and slowing the game down. It's a shame Roy's choice was a poor one