You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England v Slovenia

RedinSweden

Going into this one expecting to be eliminated, unfortunately. Probably a bit of hangover from Liverpool's season, but in our opening two games we have desperately lacked invention and ability going forward. Many times, seeing Liverpool play in similar circumstances, I was expecting us to turn a corner but it never really happened.

That said, I hope England go out and absolutely twat them. Something to be optimistic about would be ace.

England will win it... at least 3-0.

Rooney will score and return to being better than Messi by the English press. Slovenia will need to attack, and England will find acres of space to exploit. Lampard will score a deflected shot while Crouchie will come off the bench to score late on.

Now, run off to the bookies.

It's consistently been something that the England national side have proven incapable of doing though, despite the Premier League's intensity and frantic, frenetic style. England just cannot seem to drag themselves out of a routine of 'pass sideways, pass forward, pass back due to lack of Modric-style play maker who can actually look forward, then hoof it up to the big man for Rooooonnnneeee to chase' style.

Well then, Capello needs to stop trying to get the England team to play like the Italian national side, relax the shackles a little and let the players express themselves a little more.

I'm sure there's a happy compromise to be made between the English and Italian styles of play.

EVOLUTION OF AN INGURLUND FAN

evolution-300x225.jpg

If you're English, you should understand this is from left to right:

'Cor! Our national team! Everyone together! In the same team!!'

'Come on England! Yay!'

'We need a brass band! We need a drum an' trumpets!

'Duh-duh...duh-duuuh-duh-duh...hic!'

'Bladdy Barnes! Bladdy lazy git! It's his bladdy fault!'

'1966! 44 years of hurt! Three lions! It's so cruel!!!'

'Boo! Heskey! JT! Lucky shirts! Lousy pitch!! Bladdy foreigners!! Boooo!

EVOLUTION OF AN INGURLUND FAN

evolution-300x225.jpg

If you're English, you should understand this is from left to right:

'Cor! Our national team! Everyone together! In the same team!!'

'Come on England! Yay!'

'We need a brass band! We need a drum an' trumpets!

'Duh-duh...duh-duuuh-duh-duh...hic!'

'Bladdy Barnes! Bladdy lazy git! It's his bladdy fault!'

'1966! 44 years of hurt! Three lions! It's so cruel!!!'

'Boo! Heskey! JT! Lucky shirts! Lousy pitch!! Bladdy foreigners!! Boooo!

You can't beat a stereotype :whatever:

Well then, Capello needs to stop trying to get the England team to play like the Italian national side, relax the shackles a little and let the players express themselves a little more.

I'm sure there's a happy compromise to be made between the English and Italian styles of play.

I agree totally with that.

see all the excuses are in early "Slovenia are a good team" lets be honest they are fucking shit and if we dont beat them now when it really counts so are we, Algeria are also shit and USA average. Fabio is a great manager and i dont buy into the shit he is getting he has made mistakes this world cup but his record speaks for itself, if Joe Cole doesnt play though i can only conclude he and Terry have been fourballing Fabio's wife

Guest TK-421
Oh, it's easy to spot, gkmacca.

Just not so easy to understand.

England are a bit shit and it's funny when they lose. They have a lot of nobheads following them, and a lot of nobheads in the press writing bollocks about the team. This makes it even funnier when they lose.

Having said that, it's enjoyable when they do well like at Italia 90 and Euro 96. But even then it was funny when they lost on penalties to Germany.

Whatever happens today it's win/win. Lose and it will be funny, win and England are in the next round.

see all the excuses are in early "Slovenia are a good team" lets be honest they are fucking shit and if we dont beat them now when it really counts so are we, Algeria are also shit and USA average. Fabio is a great manager and i dont buy into the shit he is getting he has made mistakes this world cup but his record speaks for itself, if Joe Cole doesnt play though i can only conclude he and Terry have been fourballing Fabio's wife

Not so sure about that. The US have proven over the past decade that they are fast becoming a good international side. I'm sure they were ranked above England in the FIFA rankings at one point. And the one thing that they have that England do not is a good team dynamic. There are no superstar egos in the US ranks, and they all work well together. It's not that England- if they lose- are 'shit' as you put it, it's that there doesn't seem to be any desire to work as a unit. Far too many egos in the dressing room, and 'JT' is the prime example of it and how it can be a disruptive influence.

England are a bit shit and it's funny when they lose. They have a lot of nobheads following them, and a lot of nobheads in the press writing bollocks about the team. This makes it even funnier when they lose.

Having said that, it's enjoyable when they do well like at Italia 90 and Euro 96. But even then it was funny when they lost on penalties to Germany.

Whatever happens today it's win/win. Lose and it will be funny, win and England are in the next round.

I don't find it funny when they lose at all. I hope they win today. I do find the extraordinary pomposity of some of their fans a bit sad, though.