You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Happy Rumour Mill (Takeover bids, transfer talks etc)

WhiskeyJar

Gerrard is a dreadful centre midfielder. A great player but his days in that position are over. When he gets a touch older he may make a good Def Mid, but Gerrard is not of any real use in the middle of the park.

Well he wasn't much use in the hole last season and his better games came from midfield?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was just shit last year.

He was completely awful in teh middle away to Reading. He was dummying the ball and losing it and wouldn't even tackle.

He also thinks behind a forward is his best position.

Oh don't get me wrong I don't think he was great last season, and the Reading game is a good example. Didn't he go off injured though?

Also, have you got any quotes about it being his best position?

I can't remember him having too many standout games.

Sunderland at home and Pompey spring to mind.

Not the most exotic of opposition I admit, but he still made powerful driving runs from midfield which resulted in solid team performances.

I never thought I'd say this, but to be totally honest, I wouldn't be that gutted to see Torres or Gerrard sold. We could completely rebuild the team with the money and emerge stronger for it.

I never thought I'd say this, but to be totally honest, I wouldn't be that gutted to see Torres or Gerrard sold. We could completely rebuild the team with the money and emerge stronger for it.

£75m for the pair, I'd take it.

I'm not so sure because we wouldn't see all of that £75M, and the things are looking right now on the transfer market (Man City?) we couldn't even buy two world class players or even WC prospects. Throw a few players you'd buy for that kind of money to make us better than we are now?

With the current market price for players what rebuilding can we anticipate and what world class players can we bring since we arent in CL.

May be we should just look at championship players.besides at least 50m will go towards debt.

with these current owners expect mid table.

rumour is Chelsea are prearing a £60m bid for Torres so i'd expect we'd get more than £15m for Gerrard. I agree though £80-£90m for the pair would be stupid not to accept providing all of that money goes back into rebuilding the team

I'm not so sure because we wouldn't see all of that £75M, and the things are looking right now on the transfer market (Man City?) we couldn't even buy two world class players or even WC prospects. Throw a few players you'd buy for that kind of money to make us better than we are now?

They aren't worth £75 mate. Torres has averaged about 25 league appearances a season over 3 seasons and Gerrard has about 3 good seasons left. I'd ask them what their plans are ASAP. We don't want another mid-August exit.

But would top class players join us in our current state, particularly with no Champions League Football and no Gerrard & Torres?

I still think gerrard's best position is right midfield, and his best season for us was 2005-6, when he played out there. He's not a central midfielder, but I also don't think he's a genuine support striker either.

Watching the younger germans makes me realise what is wrong with so many english players, like Gerrard - ego. Players like Muller and Ozil put the team first, play where the manager tells them, and that's the foundation of their brilliance. Gerrard - whether on the pitch or off it - has always put the interests of Gerrard first - and on the pitch he thinks he's an attacking central midfielder. That's not meant as a harsh criticism of Stevie before people jump on me, but it is to say that I wish he'd been more willing to listen to advice and instructions throughout his career, because i think he could have been a world-class player rather than simply a great premiership player.

But would top class players join us in our current state, particularly with no Champions League Football and no Gerrard & Torres?

That's the crux of it. We lose Gerrard and/or Torres and we will be seen as a selling club, and more importantly, a club on the wane. No one worth their salt would want to come to us. Because of the ownership issue, the keeping of Gerrard and Torres is so much more then just keeping two top players, it is also about keeping our name, our positon in the footballing world, and a big step towards our future.

That's the crux of it. We lose Gerrard and/or Torres and we will be seen as a selling club, and more importantly, a club on the wane. No one worth their salt would want to come to us. Because of the ownership issue, the keeping of Gerrard and Torres is so much more then just keeping two top players, it is also about keeping our name, our positon in the footballing world, and a big step towards our future.

Exactly. Having £100m burning a hole in your back pocket to re-invest sounds great, but in reality I couldn't see us attracting any top players.

That's a fair question. I said in another thread though, we could sell Torres for, what, £60 million, and bring in Forlan (who isn't playing CL football where he is now anyway, is he?) and Wickham for about £25 million tops. Same with Gerrard. If what Broughton says is right and all the money will be reinvested in new signings, we could very well end up with a much better squad. But as Hermes says, if either of them wants to leave they should say as much asap so we can get on with bringing in new players before the window shuts.

That's a fair question. I said in another thread though, we could sell Torres for, what, £60 million, and bring in Forlan (who isn't playing CL football where he is now anyway, is he?) and Wickham for about £25 million tops. Same with Gerrard. If what Broughton says is right and all the money will be reinvested in new signings, we could very well end up with a much better squad. But as Hermes says, if either of them wants to leave they should say as much asap so we can get on with bringing in new players before the window shuts.

I wish I could neg you again.