You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Fletcher

PaulMcC

Ah it is. A player who's play for relegation fodder isnt 'a better version of Dirk'. He's only scored 8 goals this season has fletcher. Thats not as many as Kuyt. Fletcher wouldnt get into the Dutch side either.

Right, so if you're playing for relegation fodder, it means you can't be a good player does it? Dirk plays in a better side, and more chances are created for him to score. If the tables were turned, I reckon Fletcher would score many more than Kuyt. Doesn't make either of them any lesser players.

And again, I'm not saying Dirk is a bad player. Far from it. I just think Fletcher seems to work hard and do a lot of donkey work, in a similar sort of way that Kuyt does for us, and is (in my OPINION) a generally superior player; Quicker, better touch, more tecnically gifted.

Kleberson is in the Brazil side. Heskey is in the England side. Make's no difference really. Most international teams have questionable selections. That's not to say Dirk doesn't deserve his place in the squad, but it's a very weak point to try and use in an argument.

Edited by Woo

It's the kind of imaginative signing that we need to look at in our current circumstances. I was pretty aghast that we splashed out £7m on Crouch, but that turned out pretty well.

Fletcher does seem to have something about him.

That said, I was advocating that we buy Tuncay or Zaki last year, so I'm probably not the best judge.

Fletcher is a far better player than Fleck

"far" better... really? you think that? I would say that Fletcher is ahead of him in the sense that he is five years older and has five years of experience which Fleck lacks, he's also more physically developed. He might even have a better attitude. But technically, I don't think so, certainly not when it comes to ball carrying. I just think if we were to spend 5m on a player that has not really proven themselves at this level yet, then it should be one of the top talents in Britain rather than a 23 year old who's had a season leading the line and disappeared when up against settled defences. I doubt he'd be a better back up than Jovanovic or even N'Gog.

He looks a very promising player, but I would rather see us sell some players and put together a healthy budget to buy players that will automatically walk into our team and would not look out of place in a championship winning team.

Unfortunately, without Champions League footy it will be harder to attract a-listers, but our heritage and good money will mean that we're still a very attractive club to move to.

How about the Montenegrin lad at Fiorentina?! Joventic or something.

• 4 weeks later...

Was disappointed with his first season but there is more to come I imagine.

Dare I throw another name into the hat if we are talking about paying 7m ?

Artem Milevskiy anyone. I think he would be the perfect foil for Torres. He is tall, strong, has a great touch and vision and is ready to move on. I've been a fan of his for a while now and the news is he is ready to move on from Dynamo. I'd take a shot, he could be something very special in the right team and we desperately need a striker who can play with Torres but lead the line in his absence.

If we're talking about recently relegated young players with talent and bright futures what about Hertha's Gojko Kacar. Stamina, technical ability, good in the tackle, tall, strong and weighs in with a few wonder goals to boot.