You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Breaking Bad Thread

chorlton

Yeah I've started GoT again. Am up to S2 e5. It is indeed boss. Easier watching second time too now I can get my head around who's who and which cunt is stabbing which cunt in the back.

I've also started The Sopranos too. Just about to start Season 2.

It's taking my mind off the Walt sized hole.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah I've started GoT again. Am up to S2 e5. It is indeed boss. Easier watching second time too now I can get my head around who's who and which cunt is stabbing which cunt in the back.

I've also started The Sopranos too. Just about to start Season 2.

It's taking my mind off the Walt sized hole.

That's some quality TV you're watching. I take it you've seen Six Feet Under?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

No mate, but it just made the list for after GoT, should be through that quite quickly.

It has a special place in my heart. It's looser than shows like GoT, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and other top shows, but SFU is the show I'd chose to watch for the first time again if I could. It's a real work of art, in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'd rank my level of TV watching pedigree/sadness with anybody on this forum. I've watched just about every major US TV show, and the great majority of minor ones too, and SFU is my favourite. TV is where it's at, isn't it. Proper TV, I mean. It's beyond most films for depth. I much prefer watching a couple of episodes of an evening than sitting in front of Eastenders or Coronation Street, or even a film. It's a far better way to entertain yourself. Escapism, isn't it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Unlikable? I think they were written with great depth. The imperfections of humanity. Each to their own, of course. I go against the grain with some shows, like The Wire for example, so I know not everybody likes everything. 

Unlikable? I think they were written with great depth. The imperfections of humanity. Each to their own, of course. I go against the grain with some shows, like The Wire for example, so I know not everybody likes everything. 

You could argue that many of the characters were realistically portrayed with all the flaws and problems of any one of us, but spending all that time with them just made really dislike them. The mother and Claire were the worst, just selfish, navel gazing individuals. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You could argue that many of the characters were realistically portrayed with all the flaws and problems of any one of us, but spending all that time with them just made really dislike them. The mother and Claire were the worst, just selfish, navel gazing individuals. 

Heh, fuckin' love Ruth and Claire. Different strokes, I guess.

The show and last season were so good, it's actually ruining my enjoyment of other TV shows.

I know Homeland, SHIELD or Walking Dead may not be on top of their game at the moment but they are still shows I've always enjoyed - compared to Breaking Bad, I'm constantly rolling my eyes and generally can't be bothered with him.

Everything seems a come-down at the moment. Hoping the return of Boardwalk Empire will perk me up a bit.

Spot on that. I'm not even enjoying boardwalk that much, although I thought the latest effort was very good.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the last 2 episodes last night. Watched the entire series in just over a month, I very rarely marathon watch so its safe to say Breaking Bad is a bit special. I was a little disappointed in Jessie's role towards the end of the series..

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

I remember when Walt watched Jane die I thought 'Shiiiit when Jessie learns about this shit is going to kick off' I know he wasn't exactly in the position to do anything, but I was expecting fireworks. I remember when Jessie and Walt finally started developing a bit of a friendship I was happy because I wanted to see them bond the whole time even though I knew in the end shit would boot off and it didn't really boot off like I'd hoped or expected. 

I might be wrong here, I watched episodes late into the night, but another thing that disappointed me was the lack of proper back-story for the Aryans. I would have liked for them to get a bit more attention like they gave the Mexican cartel. A minor gripe though. 

That bit with Walt watching Walt Jr from a distance in the final episode was heartbreaking.

Fantastic show though, one of the best ever. I don't think a series has had my attention from beginning to end as much as BB did. This might be because other shows I've had to buy boxsets when I could, where as with BB I just streamed the lot on Netflix. Sometimes 1 episode a night, sometimes 5. It's got everything you want, brilliant acting, even better writing, violence and of course, genuine comedy. 

I put it on par with the Wire, Shield and Oz, but the Sopranos is still the best for me. 

Don't know if this should be in here or the woman thread but I've been at my missus to watch BB since I watched series 2. She has never bothered. Same with Sopranos, Wire, SOA, Shield etc.

She is always fuckin moaning that we don't do enough together and all I do is work and watch shit on the computer. (while she is glued to xfactor and celebrity this that and the other).

Anyway out for tea the other night bump into her friend and in the usual guff exchanged between them I hear Breaking Bad mentioned. Turns out her hubby forced her to watch it an it's great.

I never cracked on I heard this but when we got in I get 'I think I'll watch breaking bad'

Ok I say and obtain it from my reliable source.

She watched the first episode the other night when I was out and said she gets it but subtitles for the language would be nice. I'm thinking it's not that broad. It's no cajun twang or anything.

I watch it and I have downloaded the french version.

Merd. She enjoyed it anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Finished it last night having started season 1 a year go, and got back into
it about 3 months ago. Starting GoT next week.

The last 2 episodes did feel a bit like a coda to the main story that
finished in 'Ozymandias' at the Fire Station. Having said that, the conclusion
was fairly appropriate as all along the storylines have involved Walt (and
sometimes Jesse) getting themselves out of apparently impossible situations by
great planning and perfect luck.

The biggest question for me was why Skyler decided to go along with Walt's
taped 'confession', thereby shitting on Hank and Marie. She'd never really been
motivated by the money and it was only the money that stopped her going along
with Hank's suggestion of her and the family going to stay with them and
cooperate against Walt/ I suppose that fits into a general critique of the show,
which is that lots of things happen so that a story can be played out. Every
detail needs to happen as it does or lots of the big plotlines jut don't work -
that maybe a parallel with the scientific and meticulous methods at work
throughout, or it may just be a plot device.

It's churlish to complain about that element of the show though, because this
was always a story about characters. The story itself was unconventional but it
was told in a relatively conventional way - no Sopranos-style dream sequences or
Wire-like deaths that were out of the blue and random. For me it was
not quite on a par with those two series, but very,
very good. The genius is the way in which our perceptions of Walt
shift, at first subtly (getting pissed of with him being arrogant and 
overbearing to Jesse, being a dick to  Skyler) until at some
point early in season 2 we realise that he is just a total prick - a
suspicion that is confirmed as that season comes to a conclusion. It's also
interesting to see how the roles of Hank and Marie switch so much over time
- from being a racist thug and a kleptomaniac busybody, they become the moral
heart of the show and the voice of reason. Who'd have thought at any point in
season 1 that we'd be rooting for Marie by the end? 

One other small grumble - did Walt really have great motivation to kill
Lydia when he did? At that point he didn't know that she had
threatened his family and I'm not sure that he would have cared about her
having slaughtered Declan's crew - a very Walt move. Sure she was a loose cannon
(the female version of Walt really) but if Walt was just tying up loose
ends. why not kill Jesse? (presumably the answer is that he couldn't bring
himself to do it). The reveal by Walt to Lydia about the Ricin also clunked and
was not typical of the show (bearing in mind the fact that nobody has come up
with a really good explanation of Brock's off-screen poisoning, and given that
we knew Walt had the ricin and we saw a lingering shot of Lydia's coffee cup at
the café, I had assumed it was obvious that she'd ben poisoned at that stage -
we didn't need walking through it any more than  Todd needed walking
through what Lydia  had lined up for Walt in the same
scene. 

Genuinely dreading the Saul spin-off though - can't see how it can be done
without devaluing some of the characters - it would have to be played purely for
laughs, right?

From the Grauniad   Breaking Bad: Mike is back for prequel Better Call Saul
The fixer played by Jonathan Banks has been confirmed as a character in the new show, set before Walter White ever met Saul Goodman
Breaking-Bads-Mike-Jonath-011.jpg
Breaking Bad's Mike (Jonathan Banks) will retuyrn for Better Call Saul. Photograph: Ursula Coyote/AMC

Good news for Breaking Bad fans: Jonathan Banks, who played the show's fixer Mike Ehrmantraut for almost three seasons, has signed up for its imminent prequel show Better Call Saul. Banks will be a series regular, reports Deadline, which means we'll be seeing a lot more of questionable lawyer Saul's even more questionable sidekick.

Banks joins Bob Odenkirk, who plays Saul, but as yet the pair are the only confirmed cast members. Showrunner Vince Gilligan had previously told EW that he'd love to revisit the character of Mike for the prequel: "That would be a great deal of fun. I would say the sky's the limit, at least theoretically speaking."

Better Call Saul will take the world of Breaking Bad back to a time before the lawyer met eventual meth kingpin Walter White. "It will be Saul Goodman's world, it won't be Walter White's, and it will have a different feel, even though there will be some overlap on the Venn diagram that exists between Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul," Gilligan told Rolling Stone.

The show is due to appear on AMC at the end of 2014 and, like Breaking Bad, will be shown on Netflix in the UK.

Are you excited about the return of Mike? Let us know below.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

A truly, truly great show.

I was given a box set of the first few seasons by a mate for my birthday, and he encouraged me to stick with it through the first few episodes which I thought were a bit slow. I'm glad I did. As said elsewhere, TV is "where it's at" and Hollywood could only dream of fitting this level of suspense and character development into a 90-minute format.

I'll admit to being a bit disappointed with the end though. Not because it wasn't well-crafted, well-directed, well-acted or appropriate. It was all of those things. But as rabble-rouser said above, the last two episodes seemed like a coda to the series and just (for me) went on too long. Once Hank died, there wasn't really anywhere else to go.

It's a shame, but the overlong ending has sorta coloured my view of the show -which at one time had surpassed The Wire as my favourite ever. Anyone else interested in the "peak and end" theory of memory formation?

But yeah. If you haven't seen it yet: do it.
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...