You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Password Protecting A USB Stick

Woo

How does one go aboot this? And is there any freeware available to do so. Got an 8GB USB stick that I want to back up some files onto, but want to password protect it for security reasons.

Rep for any help.

Muchos grassyarse.

I actually downloaded truecrypt, and I believe I've managed to create and mount a volume, but I've not got a clue how to use it.

When the volume is mounted it'll appear as another 'drive' for example, (E:). Then you can save docs onto that drive. If you now dismount the volume that drive won't show up and you can only see it again if you know where that little file is and the password you used.

If you're going to use the USB on different machines then you need to have that little file saved on the stick.

To encrypt your USB drive; open TrueCrypt and click Create Volume.

Select the 'Encrypt a non-system partition/drive' option and click Next.

Select the 'Standard TrueCrypt volume' and click Next.

Click Select Device and highlight the USB drive making sure you select the partition rather than the entire device (the one with the drive letter).

Select 'Create encrypted volume and format it' and click Next. Make sure you have a copy of the data on the USB drive saved elsewhere.

Leave the Encryption Options as they are and click Next and then Next again at the Volume Size screen.

Put a password in and click Next.

Move the mouse around a bit and click Format.

Click OK and Next to complete the wizard.

To mount the drive; open TrueCrypt and click Select Device.

Highlight the device and click OK.

Highlight a drive letter above and click Mount.

Put in the password and you should be able to use the drive as normal.

Woo, you do know that there are plenty of security enabled USB flash drives out there? Though I assume that as you already have a flash drive, you don't want to be buying another?

I have a 4 Gig Sandisk myself for personal info and the sort.

What type of files are you putting on the flash drive itself? As you may be just as well off password protecting the individual files, as well as, or instead of, the drive itself.

Woo, you do know that there are plenty of security enabled USB flash drives out there? Though I assume that as you already have a flash drive, you don't want to be buying another?

I have a 4 Gig Sandisk myself for personal info and the sort.

What type of files are you putting on the flash drive itself? As you may be just as well off password protecting the individual files, as well as, or instead of, the drive itself.

We want to back up most of our emails, word docs and spreadsheets, Al, but there's fucking loads. A good 6GB worth of data. So password protecting each file isn't an option.

How much are the password protected ones? We'd need at least an 8BG one.

Not read every suggestion so may sound stupid, so could you not zip it all and password protect that?

It's probably a last resort, but we want to be able to easily access the files, so zipping it would mean you'd have to extract thousands of files, and it would be a royal pain in the arse.

We want to back up most of our emails, word docs and spreadsheets, Al, but there's fucking loads. A good 6GB worth of data. So password protecting each file isn't an option.

How much are the password protected ones? We'd need at least an 8BG one.

SanDisk cruzer flashdrives come with an application called U3 pre installed on the drive, the 16Gb version can be had for £17.79 from Play.

The 8Gb version will cost you £14.99 from Play.

There are plenty more options available above those prices, the Enterprise versions are a little more professional, we use these for secure personal info at work.

SanDisk cruzer flashdrives come with an application called U3 pre installed on the drive, the 16Gb version can be had for £17.79 from Play.

The 8Gb version will cost you £14.99 from Play.

There are plenty more options available above those prices, the Enterprise versions are a little more professional, we use these for secure personal info at work.

Cheers, Al. What's the biggest you can find? Something around 32GB would be perfect.

Sandisk 16GB Cruzer USB Flash Drive - Retail Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Is this the same one, Al? And can it definitely be password protected? We've actually got an 8GB sandisk cruzer slice, but it doesn't have anything on it? Could I just download the U3 software?

That's the same one mate.

I think U3 can be downloaded from their site, will check quickly.

Looks like you can only download trial versions of the software from U3, and then purchase after the expiration of the trial.

The U3 software on the flashdrives themselves is housed on its own partition on the drive.

So, if you put the flashdrive in drive J for instance, and look at My Computer, there should be 2 new entries, one for J (the flashdrive itself), and then another on the next available drive, K in this example. The U3 software will be on K for you to use.

Guest davelfc

http://apps.katz.cd/download/2231767/App/TrueCrypt-4-3/

dyap9z.jpg

TrueCrypt can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it as a real disk, or an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as USB memory stick, floppy disk, etc.

This software provides two levels of security: a hidden volume (more information may be found here), and a volume cannot be identified (no part of the volume can be distinguished from random data).

It utilizes the following encryption algorithms: AES (256-bit key), Blowfish (448-bit key), CAST5 (128-bit key), Serpent (256-bit key), Triple DES, and Twofish (256-bit key), and also supports cascading (e.g., AES-Serpent-Twofish).

Used to have one of them a few years ago, and the U3 software just automatically came up when you plug it in. Didn't have a scooby what it did, though.

I've had a couple, sometimes the autorun doesn't work. Well, that's what I found anyway.

It can take some getting used to, especially when autorun doesn't kick in for whatever reason, but once you get the hang of it, it's decent enough.

http://apps.katz.cd/download/2231767/App/TrueCrypt-4-3/

dyap9z.jpg

TrueCrypt can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it as a real disk, or an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as USB memory stick, floppy disk, etc.

This software provides two levels of security: a hidden volume (more information may be found here), and a volume cannot be identified (no part of the volume can be distinguished from random data).

It utilizes the following encryption algorithms: AES (256-bit key), Blowfish (448-bit key), CAST5 (128-bit key), Serpent (256-bit key), Triple DES, and Twofish (256-bit key), and also supports cascading (e.g., AES-Serpent-Twofish).

Not tried TrueCrypt, but by all accounts, from what I've read, it's a very good piece of software.