You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...

Javier Mascherano: I'd never be tempted by City's millions, says Liverpool midfielder | Mail Online

By John Edwards Last updated at 11:42 PM on 19th February 2010

Javier Mascherano: I'd never be tempted by City's millions, says Liverpool midfielder

Javier Mascherano launched a scathing attack on Manchester City's attempt to buy their way to the top and insisted: 'I wouldn't want to play for them.'

The Liverpool midfielder raised the stakes even higher ahead of the crucial Eastlands showdown by pointing to the lack of history at City.

'Maybe if City got into the top four, they would build on it, like Chelsea did, but one thing is clear,' he said.

'You can buy players, but you cannot buy history. At Liverpool, that counts for a lot. We play with the history of the club.

'We don't have the money that they have, but we are proud to play for Liverpool. I don't want to play for Manchester City. Yes, they have money and they are building a good team, but I am still proud to play for Liverpool.'

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is convinced his side's mental strength will prove decisive in the battle for fourth place.

He said: 'We have experience of the demands in this situation, and that is important, because it does depend a lot on the players and if they are nervous or not.'

Fuck off Man City, you ain't got no history

Javier Mascherano: Liverpool's history trumps Manchester City's money

• Mascherano says Liverpool's standing gives them an edge

• 'You can buy players but you cannot buy history'

* Buzz up!

* Digg it

* Andy Hunter

* guardian.co.uk, Saturday 20 February 2010 00.35 GMT

* Article history

Javier Mascherano

Javier Mascherano believes Manchester City will always be in the shadow of Liverpool. Photograph: Alex Morton/Action Images

Javier Mascherano dismissed Manchester City's threat to Liverpool yesterday when he said the world's wealthiest club could challenge their Champions League status but would never usurp their standing in the game. The Argentina captain also claimed the history of Liverpool remains a bigger draw to some players than the money on offer at Eastlands.

The Liverpool midfielder, who faces Roberto Mancini's team at Eastlands tomorrow, is one of several high-profile names to have been linked with City in recent months, a roll-call that also includes his Anfield team-mate Fernando Torres. Not content with categorically dismissing the idea of a move along the M62, however, Mascherano believes City will remain in Liverpool's shadow even if they do beat Rafael Benítez's team to Champions League qualification this season.

"Maybe if City got in the top four they would build on that like Chelsea did before but I will say one thing: you can buy players but you cannot buy history," said the Argentinian. "At Liverpool we play with the history of the club. We don't have the money that they have but we are proud to play for Liverpool.

"I don't want to play for Manchester City. Yes, they have money and they are building a good team but I am still proud to play for Liverpool. You can buy stars but you cannot buy history and I think Manchester City respect Liverpool. I think they know we have some very good players too and we will fight until the end. Then we will see what happens."

Liverpool will arrive at Eastlands one point behind fourth-placed City, having also played a game more. But Mascherano, who has been in frequent contact with his friend and City striker Carlos Tevez this week over the premature birth of his child, believes Liverpool's greater experience at the top end of the table gives them an advantage over the final months of the season.

"City have spent a lot of money to be in the four, more money than us," he added. "They are a good team with good players but we have very good players too. We know that we are Liverpool and have to be in the top four because of the history of this club. It is normal for us to play under pressure and maybe it is not normal for them as a group."

Benítez will again be without Torres tomorrow, although the Spanish striker is close to a return from knee surgery, and he will give Yossi Benayoun a late fitness test following his recovery from broken ribs. "If we win, they will need to win more games and it will be more difficult for them," said the Liverpool manager. "They will be under more pressure if we win, that's for sure."

There's no way he will go to any English club.

However I think it is pretty certain he will go to Barca or another top European team at end of season.

I just have a feeling that if we get a champions league place for next season,then there is a slim chance he will stay.

My gut feeling is even if we get one he will be sold.If we dont get a place then I think it is a dead cert he will be sold.

I just think that he is Rafa's transfer funding for next season.

Really hope I am totally wrong about this.