You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

SOS Minutes with Purslow meeting

Red_or_Dead

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Men like this don't talk shite in a professional arena. He is doing his job. Brilliantly.

Telling fans what they want to hear without having to admit he said a word. Maybe stopping the protests and buying time.

Meanwhile he is moving players on getting the bank it's money and securing a buyer for the yanks.

The ringmaster.

Thats occured to me too. in which case his strategy is to put distance between himself and the owners. Clearly, as Ive said in another post, it then comes down to fan perception. The cynics will say this is all a plot, instigated by the owners to win them some time, others will say he is the right man and should be given our support.

More division and splits in the camp. Be nice to think we could all get behind Purslow and make the best of a bad job. Lets face it, even if we sell, who in their righ tmind is going to pay off teh debts ? They will stay, we'll just have a different deal with another bank. Better that those who make these decision do so with LFC at heart, not money, profit or weetabix.

Purslow's issue is that he has to balance multiple sets of perceptions. While this episode may enhance his credibility with the fans, the resulting headlines about boardroom turmoil, Machiavellian backstabbing etc do not help him with either his bosses or the people he is trying to bring into the club. It positively undermines them IMO.

Personally if I was asked to represent my company to a hostile protest group, I would assume that the whole meeting was on the record, and I get paid a hell of a lot less than Purslow. I don't think it's incompetence. I don't think it's naivety. I think it's something snide.

I personally don't think he is being niave, he's got too much of a reputation in his line of work to be niave.

After reading the comments on here I am, at the moment of the opinion that he has more control over who and how much Gillete and Hicks sell for. I don't think he is going to let someone come in and take us for a song, but I don't expect him to allow those two clowns to make a massive profit from the sale either.

I'll admit I do think he's playing a dangerous game and is possibly risking his reputation by playing this game.

Only time will tell though.

Jesus, that's some set of minutes. I'm really astonished by some of the things in there. This is going to result in major headlines, rumours of major spilts in the boardroom and rumours of Purslow's impending removal from the board. I'm really shocked by this, but quite pleased also. Purslow knoes what he is saying and, especially with the quotes of RBS wanting the Yanks out, and the yanks having to sell, this will flush out the main investors who want to take us over I hope.

Another huge day in planet Liverpool. Fuck me, you couldn't make it up.

As somebody said earlier I think he actually wants to do a good job and wants the best for the club. He didn't have to take this job, he probably could have got a more well paying job elsewhere and he didn't.

For me there are four things to take from these minutes:

1. He isn't stupid and will know full well that anything he says would come out in one form and another.

2. He feels secure enough in his position, probably through his rship with RBS that he can talk openly about the owners. This shows, with a bit of luck, how tenuous their hold on the club is.

3. That investors will hear what has been said and take encouragement for it. It may also fire a few of them up - it appears that there may be enough interest to ensure high enough investment.

4. It was a PR attempt by him to show that he's an LFC fan - at the end of the day he can't help the way he presents himself. If that rubs some people up the wrong way then so be it.

Saw no reason why he lied to us on the night. But I didn't warm to him.

We have to be honest here. He wasn't genuine when he passed us his version of events. If that was what he is intending to do all the time then it is pointless having dialogue with him.

Fair enough, but what if he;'s using you, for the better good of the club ?

What if, as has been suggested on here, he took a calculated risk, he was outspoken, as he knew you'd print what he'd said, he didnt sign thenotes off, to appear as if he was being kind to his bosses.

What if publically stating his 'disgust at the situation' (cant remember the exact words) the owners creatwed and that their asking price is too high means they are forced to lower their price, is that not worth what you see as lieing ?

As I said before I think there is alot of naivety and lack of understanding about how these games are played. Its not as simple as his trustworthyness being down to how honest or not he is with SoS. If he's aliar then its no different from what we have now.

Alternativley, if SoS endorse Purslow, come down on his side, he and SOS could potentially unite the club, with clear leadership moving in one direction for the benfit of the club.

Somewhere along the line, we, as fans, have to trust someone and at this point Purslow is the best bet we have. Its a huge step to take, but how much better would it be to see SoS and the new CEO aligned, pushing forward an agenda of managing the existing debt, reducing it where we can leading to the new stadium. Whilst understanding the restrictions on spending for players we have (Afterall, what point buying 20m players, if we go bankrupt ?) It would take the heat out of the situation, give the players and manager a better environment to operate in as the vultures would have to move on.

So nistead of hanging onto his 'lies' why not try and understand why he may have done it and how what he's doing may affect the club.

I think Purslow knew exactly what he was doing. G&H can't sack him, or he would never have said some of things he's said, on the record or off the record. You can call him what you want to call him, but he's not stupid.

He was extremely honest and stated the cold, hard truth, yes he's trying to limit the possible damage in his relationship with the owners, but ultimately he doesn't give a fuck about them.

He wants what's good for the club and is trying to do the best he can and what he believes will save us long term. He also has a good rapport with Rafa which, for me, is a very positive thing. Remember, he's in a very difficult position, wedged between us, G&H and the banks.

I trust him.

If that's true, shouldnt we stop the protests as he asks?

I'm inclined to believe you're right in what you say but it'll divide opinion.

He asked SOS to stop the protests and if we believe he's the good guy we should trust that.

I'm not sure anyone will trust him after the way we've been treated is all.

Guest The Chimp

He's basically told any investor that G&H are bluffing. They've no means of getting any more money, and their price is too high. He's obviously not a fan of G&H so perhaps he's making way (making it easier) for new owners who are more in keeping with what we all want? He can build some serious bridges with whoever might want to own us - something very useful given his own work in the city - especially if they're the proverbial big-hitters.

Purslow's issue is that he has to balance multiple sets of perceptions. While this episode may enhance his credibility with the fans, the resulting headlines about boardroom turmoil, Machiavellian backstabbing etc do not help him with either his bosses or the people he is trying to bring into the club. It positively undermines them IMO.

Yep. It's a murky underworld he's operating in. It could come off or it could end up in disaster.

By the same token no-one said we're going to publish whatever we want. Do you think he would have acted differently if someone said that. I do.

Anyways fair enough, you're obviously even more cynical than me. The nature of the relationship between Purslow and SOS in the future (assuming there is one) will be the final arbiter I guess.

Sorry, you may have thought I was having a go, but I wasn't and I apologise if my posts came across that way. I just think Purslow is too savvy to have believed these comments wouldn't get out. I think he's playing a game with the owners, and a dangerous one at that, but one that is perhaps in our best interests in the long run.

Men like this don't talk shite in a professional arena. He is doing his job. Brilliantly.

Telling fans what they want to hear without having to admit he said a word. Maybe stopping the protests and buying time.

Meanwhile he is moving players on getting the bank it's money and securing a buyer for the yanks.

The ringmaster.

I think this is probably the truest post on here.

He's playing all sides.

He wants the protests stopped not only to make investment easier to secure but more than that to give the americans confidence that he's doing a good job and secure his position.

Anyone buying the whole club wouldn't be put off by angry fans but clearly anyone investing alongside the owners would need to be assured that the issues could be fixed over time at the very least before commiting £100M.

If that's true, shouldnt we stop the protests as he asks?

I'm inclined to believe you're right in what you say but it'll divide opinion.

He asked SOS to stop the protests and if we believe he's the good guy we should trust that.

I'm not sure anyone will trust him after the way we've been treated is all.

I don't think he cares about the protests. Maybe he's just a bit worried it can put off buyers, but I don't think it's a big deal. I think he's asking for the protests to stop to appease the other side.

But people, look at some of the quotes again, Purslow has basically ripped off G&H's testicles. They are powerless in any negotiations with investors, who should now be more motivated than ever to get in there. This is huge. The magnitude of the some the things he's said haven't been emphasized enough, they have I know, but not enough. He's killed the Yanks' relevancy. They're dead men walking here. That should be applauded.

Sorry, you may have thought I was having a go, but I wasn't and I apologise if my posts came across that way. I just think Purslow is too savvy to have believed these comments wouldn't get out. I think he's playing a game with the owners, and a dangerous one at that, but one that is perhaps in our best interests in the long run.

I took it in the spirt you meant it, no worries.

I'd give him the credit for being savvy if I could work out how backstabbing H&G and the resulting headlines of boardroom turmoil advance his plan.

I mean it's one thing to put out there you don't like them but to put out there the private communications between him and RBS and about RBS's view of H&G, well no kind of savvy can explain breaching those kind of confidences.

If he wanted this out or the public eye then fair play to him but i have a feeling that he has played SOS a corker. Money on he knew exactly what SOS would publish and therefore will now (most likely) tell them to take along walk of a short pier the next time they want a meeting. The bloke aint stupid enough to take someones word as to what they will publish and what they wont. He didnt get to where he is today with being that bloody stupid

just to quote a line of the SOS site...

We recognise that this step may put our relationship with the senior management of the Club at risk....yep im afraid you walk straight into it

Thats by no means knocking what SOS do but i do feel that sometimes the heart rules the head and in time could turn out to be a bad thing and the reason ive not joined to help the cause to me it needs a more profesional approach.I mean no offence to anyone but what if perslow gets the boot? Whos next? someone that wont give a shit about the debt and let the club slide further into the shit? I think perhaps sending/resending your version to compare with his version with a covering note that you will publish both if an agreement cant be stuck just to back up the verbal deal would have been the better path.Ok yeah so we would have had to wait abit longer but who cares when the only real comunication with the club is at stake

I think the bit about calling the Yanks out confirms he's a RBS stooge otherwise he'd be sacked tonight.

He's saying to those who are sniffing about, come and get it, its available now.

I'm optimistic about the whole thing.

Nice one to SOS.

That's how I see it also. I think RBS for all intents and purposes are now running the show with Purslow as their man.