You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Put Gerrard back on the right?

Hooch

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He won't do enough work to play in the middle.

He has shown numerous times over the years he can play centre midfield superbly.

Everton away last season for example he was immense in that position.

He has shown numerous times over the years he can play centre midfield superbly.

Everton away last season for example he was immense in that position.

1 example well over a year ago? In a game where everyoen is gonna put in their absolute all.

Did you see Reading away?

1 example well over a year ago? In a game where everyoen is gonna put in their absolute all.

Did you see Reading away?

Reading away was poor, not just Gerrard, the whole team. He's playing with players that aren't on his wave length and I'm not convinced he is fully fit.

But we have won every other game Gerrard has played centre midfield this season.

People can write him off, but this team needs a play maker in centre midfield since Alonso has gone. Lucas has cut it, Mascherano's job is to break up play not pull the strings, Aquilani looks more suited behind a lone striker - therefore Gerrard for me is the best option.

Reading was one game, you don't judge a player in one game, judge him the other numerous times he has played that position superbly.

Gerrard isn't a playmaker.

I'm not writing him off. Just think he isn't that great a centre midfielder in a 442 anymore.

I want him to have the least defensive responsibility as possible and going by his performance against Reading i think that what he wants too.

He's never been a playmaker, you fucking spastic.

Pirlo is a playmaker, Alonso is a playmaker.

Gerrard was a brilliant centre midfielder who used to love tackling and trying to hurt (mostly fairly) any player that tried to go into a 50-50 tackle with him. He doesn't do that anymore.

I think we should put Gerrard back onto the right in the role he excelled in 05/06.

I said that before the season started, we needed to vary the play and sign another forward or the best we could hope for was 3rd.

I was wrong.......the best we can hope for is 5th.

He's never been a playmaker, you fucking spastic.

Pirlo is a playmaker, Alonso is a playmaker.

Gerrard was a brilliant centre midfielder who used to love tackling and trying to hurt (mostly fairly) any player that tried to go into a 50-50 tackle with him. He doesn't do that anymore.

Why do you need to resort to insults if you disagree? It doesn't add any weight to your argument, if anything it just makes you look limited.

Gerrard can be a play maker, he can be a match winner, he can be a ball winner, he can be whatever he wants as he's the most complete player I have ever seen.

Why do you need to resort to insults if you disagree? It doesn't add any weight to your argument, if anything it just makes you look limited.

Gerrard can be a play maker, he can be a match winner, he can be a ball winner, he can be whatever he wants as he's the most complete player I have ever seen.

Cos you're doing my head in with your constant shit.

One of the things Gerrard used to get accused of and still does sometimes, even though he's improved in that area, is trying play the ball too early and not being patient enough.

He's never been a playmaker.

I agree about the most complete player, though.

He's never been a playmaker.

So you don't think he can get the team playing with his passing?

He can be the playmaker and has been for us in the past.

So you don't think he can get the team playing with his passing?

He can be the playmaker and has been for us in the past.

He has pretented to be the playmaker in the past and it has worked in a few games but overall, he is definitely not a very good play maker. I agree with Paul, he doesn't have the capability to slow down the game and raise the pace whenever required. He only knows one way to play.

Passing? Definitely. He is miles better than what we have in central midfield position currently.

I don't get where all this 'Aquilani is better behind the front man' stuff has come from. Whilst he gets used to the pace of the game over here he's gonna be able to get more time on the ball in that role, granted. Doesn't mean anything long term or were he's suited to.

On the Gerrard-playmaker discussion above, I don't think Gerrard is a playmaker. There is very few in the world that can be classed as that type of player, because for me involves being able to slow the play down as well as speed it up and ping the ball about.

I remember at the time I was in bed with Virginie Ledoyen and I turned to her and said:

'Do you you know, I think Steven Gerrard could be the worlds greatest player if played on the right wing. I mean ,look at Ronaldinho?'

She was inspired and with that..........we made love.......again.

I don't think it will make much difference where we play him right now. We are simply too shit at the moment for the Captain to save us.

When everyone is fit, it could be an option. I'd give Aquilani a go behind Torres. I reckon Benni could put in a shift in that position as well.

Playing Gerrard on the right instead of Kuyt is of course in itself an improvement of astronomical proportions.

It's a bit unfair on Kuyt, as rubbish as Kuyt has been at times he's still been head and shoulders above Gerrard this season and you lot are always advocating picking people on form so I think Gerrard should sit in the reserves until his form is better.

I think that's completely wrong. No-one has been as bad as Kuyt over the course of this season. Only Insua gets within a mile of it.