You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong I ain't either, I'm just relating that to a relavent point.

The point I'm sorta trying to get at is there's enough about that have lost complete faith in Rafa as a manager and would back nearly anyone over him.

If Steven Gerrard doesn't wanna play for the club because Rafa is the manager then he knows where the door is. Same as any player. Not that am saying he's of that mindset but if this rumour is true then it'd certainly be a reasonable assessment of his thoughts.

To be totally honest with you, if Gerrard doesn't have faith in Rafa as manager and believes the club is regressing, i'd have a lot more respect for him if he did highlight this to the hierarchy rather than just leave.

It's very much a personal thing though.

I know that Gerrard and most of the senior players made it clear to the hierarchy that they believed Houllier needed to be replaced a few years ago and I believe them to be right, so who would I be to argue?

60 points, Brownie. I wouldn't say that was "well enough for a top 4 spot", we just fluked it.

And certainly won't be enough this season. We had 30 on the halfway mark this season too :eek:

I know what you mean, Steve, and I don't mean to be pedantic, but it clearly was enough for top four because that's where we finished. ;-)

I take your point though, and I think it's a fair comparison to now.

To be totally honest with you, if Gerrard doesn't have faith in Rafa as manager and believes the club is regressing, i'd have a lot more respect for him if he did highlight this to the hierarchy rather than just leave.

I know that Gerrard and most of the senior players made it clear to the hierarchy that they believed Houllier needed to be replaced a few years ago and I believe them to be right, so who would I be to argue?

Again, fair do's. I just think there is better ways to go about doing it than to go directly to Purslow, if that has actually happened like.

As I said before, have a clear-the-air meeting with himself, Carra, Purslow, Rafa, Sammy Lee and whoever else. Voice your concerns and move on. I'd have no problems at all with him doing this as it shows more respect, in my opinion, for those around you.

The point I'm sorta trying to get at is there's enough about that have lost complete faith in Rafa as a manager and would back nearly anyone over him.

An equally valid point is that there are enough who have a blind faith in Rafa that they will be able to fashion some reasons(read excuses) for anything from finishing mid table to selling the best player in recent history.

An equally valid point is that there are enough who have a blind faith in Rafa that they will be able to fashion some reasons(read excuses) for anything from finishing mid table to selling the best player in recent history.

True. It's all speculative and opinionated to whatever your basic feelings are regarding the current situation of the club.

Either way, it's not fuckin good for us. In the short term or the long term.

Again, fair do's. I just think there is better ways to go about doing it than to go directly to Purslow, if that has actually happened like.

As I said before, have a clear-the-air meeting with himself, Carra, Purslow, Rafa, Sammy Lee and whoever else. Voice your concerns and move on. I'd have no problems at all with him doing this as it shows more respect, in my opinion, for those around you.

Maybe he's tried to set up a meeting and been declined, maybe he believes that a meeting would be more damaging because he thinks Rafa's ego wouldn't take it too well, etc, etc.

That's what I mean when I talk about circumstances and us not really knowing what's gone on. The point i'm trying to make is that Gerrard going to see Purslow isn't automatically out of order, as has been suggested by a fair few people; it depends on what else has happened.

Maybe he's tried to set up a meeting and been declined, maybe he believes that a meeting would be more damaging because he thinks Rafa's ego wouldn't take it too well, etc, etc.

That's what I mean when I talk about circumstances and us not really knowing what's gone on. The point i'm trying to make is that Gerrard going to see Purslow isn't automatically out of order, as has been suggested by a fair few people; it depends on what else has happened.

Yeah, your probably right to be fair. Although if he has serious questions need to be asked on why he has taken that route.

The OP doesn't quite set out what was said - though what was said was probably worse.

Cundy said he had head a rumour that Gerrard had an argument with Benitez in the dressing room at half time at Reading, and now refused to play whilst Benitez remained manager.

Quin responded, stating that he had heard from people allegedly connected to the club that it wasn't quite that. He said that Gerrard had a massive blow up with Pellegrino in the dressing room, and in response Pepe launched in defending Pellegrino and ended up having a row with Sammy. He said that Purslow was called down from the stands to break it all up, and as a result Gerrard was immediately suspended for 2 weeks - which is why none of the subs were prepared / ready to come on as someone was sent running down the tunnel to tell Babel to warm up.

What obviously does not run true with this is that Pepe wasn't in the squad for the Reading game so unless he travelled with the squad & was in the dressing room at half time then Quin's version is likely to be bull.

They both agreed that the way the substitution was dealt with was odd, as if Gerrard had felt him hamstring at the end of the first half, they would have made the decision to get a sub warmed up just in case - and supported the notion that something had happend.

The only reason that it is an issue is that the club is playing terribly - some of that is down to Gerrard, imo far more of that is down to Rafa. I am pretty sure SG does not name the 11 and tell them where/how to play, much less have anything to do with buying the players that make up the 11.

FFS 6 wins in 22, at what point should somebody be criticized for NOT saying something.

The OP doesn't quite set out what was said - though what was said was probably worse.

Cundy said he had head a rumour that Gerrard had an argument with Benitez in the dressing room at half time at Reading, and now refused to play whilst Benitez remained manager.

Quin responded, stating that he had heard from people allegedly connected to the club that it wasn't quite that. He said that Gerrard had a massive blow up with Pellegrino in the dressing room, and in response Pepe launched in defending Pellegrino and ended up having a row with Sammy. He said that Purslow was called down from the stands to break it all up, and as a result Gerrard was immediately suspended for 2 weeks - which is why none of the subs were prepared / ready to come on as someone was sent running down the tunnel to tell Babel to warm up.

What obviously does not run true with this is that Pepe wasn't in the squad for the Reading game so unless he travelled with the squad & was in the dressing room at half time then Quin's version is likely to be bull.

They both agreed that the way the substitution was dealt with was odd, as if Gerrard had felt him hamstring at the end of the first half, they would have made the decision to get a sub warmed up just in case - and supported the notion that something had happend.

That settles it then; a load of bullshit!

I would want Gerrard sold in a heartbeat if he was going behind the managers back, talking to directors and trying to get the manager dismissed

why? so rafa (or any other manager) doesnt tell the chairman he wants certain players sold because theyre shite before he/they tell the player themselves?

fans are so deluded its untrue! why does everyone expect managers/players to act whiter than white? its a business thats fueled by testosterone ffs!

i agree.if i was one of the best players the game had ever seen with just 3/4 years left at the top of my game at the club i supported as a boy.id tell the fucking world that i thought the manager was piss poor never mind just the chairman.

do you think rafa (or any other manager) is whiter than white when he wants to get rid of players? of course not!