You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The King speaks

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Kenny Dalglish rallies Kop behind Rafael Benitez

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6886385.ece

Rafael Benítez goes into Sunday’s crucial Barclays Premier League game against Manchester United with the backing of a Liverpool legend.

Kenny Dalglish, who won eight league titles and three European Cups with the club as player and manager, insists the Anfield hierarchy shares his unequivocal belief in the Spaniard.

Dalglish, who returned to Liverpool as club ambassador in the summer at Benítez’s request, maintains that even a run of four successive defeats has not prompted anyone to hit the panic button over the manager’s position and called on the fans to offer Benítez their support when he needs it most.

“Everyone within the upper echelons of this club has no doubt whatsoever about Rafa — I know that for a fact,” Dalglish said.

“Everybody at Liverpool knows Rafa is the right man to get the club through this. No one is panicking in any way, shape or form. Everyone is being as helpful and supportive as they possibly can be to the manager.

“There’s no way Liverpool Football Club and the majority of people would want Rafa to go anywhere.”

Benítez has revealed how he sought the counsel of Dalglish — who was the previous

Liverpool manager to lose four games in a row, in April 1987 — and thanked the Scot for his support.

“I had a quick chat with Kenny and said thank you,” Benítez said. “He has experience, he knows the club, he knows the city, the fans, he has more experience than me here.

“When we were bringing Kenny in, we knew we were bringing in someone with experience who could help us stick together.”

There was no gloating from Sir Alex Ferguson about Benitez’s plight yesterday, the United manager describing his adversary’s suffering as part and parcel of the modern game.

“In modern-day football the manager is always going to be the scapegoat, no matter what happens,” Ferguson said. “It happens time and time again. That is the climate we are in. Managers are always going to suffer.”

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to jump on Kenny's bandwagon, but here's my thoughts on Rafa:

Rafael Benitez has got a contract that he does not deserve. The amount of dough he is getting in his pocket, in his current account, in his offshore banking account reminds me of some of the bonuses city bankers got while bankrupting the system and then got bailed out by you and me. And that does not really sit comfortably with me, it actually rankles my inner self. Only sometimes, I admit though. He has asked for it, knew he had a strong hand with the fans firmly behind him and called the croupier’s bluff. The croupier probably spat with bitterness, but had to wilt to save some face. For the money he gets, he is still far from infallible. He makes mistakes. He can be stubborn. He is probably stubborn by nature. As a kid, rather than building sand castles and marvel at them getting washed away by waves, he’d get on a rock and marvel seeing the waves getting broke against the rocks and himself with his hands wide open. Still, he’s getting all that dough for the very simple reason he found himself in a place and a position where such astronomicality is the order of the day. I firmly believe Benitez is a football man, and even if his time were in that where you play the game or manage your team in front of thousands and then get the bus home with the same spectators, he would still be doing this 24/7.

Last season, but still in the 2009 year we had to endure the chants of ‘Rafa’s cracking up’. The chants did the rounds around every English stadium as much as the ‘Sit Down Pinocchio’ used to do. Admittedly Rafa did not crack up Ferguson’s hold on the title, but he far from cracked, as he managed Liverpool excruciatingly close to the finishing line. The summer was ordinary, with the books being simply balanced rather than fed, albeit with huge transactions. The difference between first and second might be very thin, but the effort to skip from second to first is extraordinary. After buying time for himself with his European Cup victory in his first season (or is that the deed itself?) followed by an F.A. Cup, while achieving a high level consistency in European football through out every season, he signaled that his whole squad and set-up can properly challenge to the title.

Hopes were raised by the faithful, but at the time it seems that he’s only built beautiful sand castles and the waves are simply carrying them away as if there was nothing. He needed some muscle into his castles but never got it. A foreign manager provokes the English media in two ways. Broadsheet papers for an instance, love interviewing him as he makes their paper look more intellectual and in a way exotic, especially in his early days. The tabloids would love to see him fail as you know fish and chips is better than paella. After building him up, the broadsheets would love to break him up as someone with a different philosophy from yours can be intimidating and there’s few better sights than seeing a cleverer guy falling on his arse. And when this guy happens to manage Liverpool the view is coupled with a few strippers on the side. When, your influence infiltrates into the terraces then you’d be even excused to carry a mirror so it can reflect your glee.

Four consecutive defeats is definitely crisis material. Four defeats in the league when it’s still October is lower middle table material. The cut-throat edges for the coveted title are unmerciful, and they have already left severe verging on the fatal bruises. What is though unfathomable for me, is how a manager that was lauded as recently as this summer could be getting not just flak, but vitriol from all four corners to even infiltrate in a way the Kop.

Given all the circumstances, tomorrow’s match against Manchester United exacerbate all its proportions, that is playing right into the hands of Sky and its partners in crime. The frenzy created is beyond their wildest dreams. Deep down I feel that this game is simply one that Liverpool must get something out of. Still and it is a big still, one match wouldn’t change my thoughts and opinion about one person.

Liverpool F.C. is a vehicle to escape the grit of real life. Sometimes I feel like a sucker for eleven millionaires trotting around. I hardly have idols anymore. My big reverie is for the Liverbird. I though admit huge respect for the man at the helm. Sacking him is unthinkable. Firstly, it’s not the Liverpool way of doing things. Sadly though, that philosophy has been long deterring and while it should be the main reason the cold facts suggest that Mr Gillett is behind Rafa because he can’t afford sacking him.

Are Liverpool then stuck with Rafa? For a change the lack of funds are working in Liverpool’s favour.

Read your first paragraph jean paul and you've so badly missed the point that I didn't bother reading the rest. You think it's wrong that Rafa looked for a pay rise when he was earning less then Moyes and Allardyce despite bringing in over 100 million in CL and league prize money?

Do you know what? I think I'll listen to Kenny Dalglish and not the people who think they know.

Read your first paragraph jean paul and you've so badly missed the point that I didn't bother reading the rest. You think it's wrong that Rafa looked for a pay rise when he was earning less then Moyes and Allardyce despite bringing in over 100 million in CL and league prize money?

Do you know what? I think I'll listen to Kenny Dalglish and not the people who think they know.

Exactly what I was going to say. Not many manager have earned their pay. In this example Rafa surely has.

Sorry Kenny, but Rafa will be judged on his results and performances. I'll support this team through the good and bad times. Unlike yourself I didn't give up hope when the team was three down at half time in the CL final. If the reports were right you decided you'd had enough and went home.

I think your power and influence might be better served trying to educate people about the damage Rafa's employers have/are doing to this club. If results carry on the way they are and we fail to qualify for next seasons CL then the shit will really hit the fan. As I've said previously the shit is currently in mid air with the fan firmly in it's sights.

As people will know I've been one of the most critical of Rafa's moves in the transfer market. This does not mean I want him and my club to fail. Oh how I'd love to see the manager be able to go about his job safe in the knowledge that Cancer And Aids had been defeated and were of to their next asset stripping mission.

Unfortunately it's looking more like the Parasites will outstay the manager. Who will you be asking us to support next ? Yourself.

“Everyone within the upper echelons of this club has no doubt whatsoever about Rafa — I know that for a fact,”

^

Do you really know the above "for a fact" Kenny because after my recent discussion with Gillett I'd say I know for a "fact" that your wrong. Maybe if you'd known I'd be having a talk with Gillett you'd have come and paid a visit and given me some moral support, eh Kenny.

Great post there Mick, I was baffled myself by Kennys and Gilletes although nothing would surprize me with that cunt this week about supporting Rafa, Gillete has wanted him out for the last 2 years, and twice this year has told fans Jay Mc in January and yourself last month that everything that is going wrong is Rafas fault, so how Kenny can say any different is baffling, but I would'nt be surprised myself if its him sitting in the dugout before the seasons out. Dismay is what I felt when Kenny agreed to be there goodwill puppet in the summer, I love the man as player and manager but how he could agree to come back and work for those 2 leeches when he could see the damage there doing was heartbreaking, when Kenny speaks ALL reds listen,and him on the outside talking would be alot more benefical than been on the inside doing nothing, but he chose the latter.

Sorry Kenny' date=' but Rafa will be judged on his results and performances. [b']I'll support this team through the good and bad times. Unlike yourself [/b]I didn't give up hope when the team was three down at half time in the CL final. If the reports were right you decided you'd had enough and went home.

I think your power and influence might be better served trying to educate people about the damage Rafa's employers have/are doing to this club. If results carry on the way they are and we fail to qualify for next seasons CL then the shit will really hit the fan. As I've said previously the shit is currently in mid air with the fan firmly in it's sights.

As people will know I've been one of the most critical of Rafa's moves in the transfer market. This does not mean I want him and my club to fail. Oh how I'd love to see the manager be able to go about his job safe in the knowledge that Cancer And Aids had been defeated and were of to their next asset stripping mission.

Unfortunately it's looking more like the Parasites will outstay the manager. Who will you be asking us to support next ? Yourself. To even imply that Kenny Dalglish would put himself before liverpool football club is just cuntishness of the highest order.

“Everyone within the upper echelons of this club has no doubt whatsoever about Rafa — I know that for a fact,”

^

Do you really know the above "for a fact" Kenny because after my recent discussion with Gillett I'd say I know for a "fact" that your wrong. Maybe if you'd known I'd be having a talk with Gillett you'd have come and paid a visit and given me some moral support, eh Kenny.

Yeah what a cunt that Kenny Dalglish fella. Dude, the game being played here is obviously beyond your comprehension, so I'd suggest you'd be best shutting up vs. sticking the boot in on Kenny Dalglish.

When Rafa was fucking around with the team last year with the whole Keane saga and when I read in the fanzine about the academy situation, I lost faith, the football was also drab.

But late March we showed what a fantastic team we can be, the best in Europe in my eyes when on song and if we played like that all season would have ran away with the league.

This summer he lost Alonso, Keane hasn't beeen replaced (much better option than Ngog) so it is no surprise we are struggling. I think Rafa has actually learned from his previous errors but just hasn't had the money to fix them this summer, I hope if he does get money to spend in January (doubtful) he thinks "squad will be stronger if a now first team player sits on bench after losing his place, rather than I have to strengthen bench" . I'm 110% behind Rafa, he has made mistakes some which really wanted me to make him go, but I think he has learnt from them and will put things right if given the right backing.

People turning against Kenny now? It's getting beyond the joke this. I've come to realise that a significant section of our fanbase are not happy unless they're moaning about something or someone.

Kenny lives and breathes LFC and would support any manager because that's just the way he is. Certain people expecting him to publically criticise anyone connected to the club just don't know the man.

See you at the pre match march tomorrow eh Speedy.

I wouldn't share oxygen with someone sticking the boot in on Kenny Dalglish and if SOS spokespeople like yourself think Kenny is a fair target then I hope no-one else joins your march.

Edited by SpeedyG

Kenny came back to the club at Rafa's request, not Gillete and Hicks.I'm sorry Mick I just can't respect that post of yours like I normally would mate.

Do you not think the yanks are using him as a PR puppet rolling him out for sponsers and coperate gigs? Do you not think that he will be put in as manager if Rafa walks/pushed? and if that happens alot of the band wagon supporters we have will think oh great Kennys back its all good we're gona be all conquering again and thats the truth I bet theres people even on this forum that would love Kenny to replace Rafa now, newsflash its not 1990 the world of football has changed, Kenny would never be the same he was, you cant take that long a break and come back like you've never been away, I for1 think Dalglish has put himself before the good of the club wether it be intentional or not by working for the yanks, him on the outside speaking up would help the good of the club long term at the moment hes a PR stunt for the yanks, and sadly alot of our fans are lapping it up. Again I love Kenny and would always love him ariund the club but not the way the yanks are using him and I think he could and should be helping get them out from the outside.