You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Setanta screwed?

Stouffer

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burley, Sherwood etc can get back to their living rooms thank fuck.

I have no problem with Setanta per sé but their football coverage is truly abysmal. As are their customer services from what I can gather.

As for LFC TV - let's be honest here, it's pretty shit. It needs a good kick up the arse.

Guest ShoePiss

Hope they go under and in the usa fox soccer channel picks up the games. I have to watch setanta broadband as I can't get sat tv and any time there's a bigger game involving us I'm better off watching it on sopcast as the feeds are much better.

Over a week ago I sent them notice to cancel my subscription, still no response from the twats and the only way you can do it is via email.

setanta overstretched themselves trying to compete with sly tv. There was no way they could do that so quickly. But, you only have to look at their scheduling to see why they are in so much trouble, they have virtually no free to air viewing which means many people dont get a feel for their product without first having to shell out to recieve it.

And how come LFC.tv is way down the scheduling and lower than the chavs tv channel? Our fanbase far exceeds anything the chavs have despite what kenyon and co may say so its incredible a channel which would appeal to a far larger audience should be lower in the listings.

That said, any channel that paid 'dessie' to advertise them deserves to go under.

Agreed re: the advertising, they just werent getting the big boys in. Not sure about their viewing numbers.

I think it was good that they broke the Sky monopoly but it just meant that I am paying a lot more per month to have access to both packages. Burley and Sherwood are a pair of fucking tools though.

But would you not look at and say well i can live through that as we are always the 3 o'clock game on a Saturday. Well more often or not we are.

FWIW the Irish branch of Setanta is healthy enough I think. They're helped by the fact that they're free to air on NTL (and Chorus?) . As ratchatcher points out above that really does help to bring people into the premium product as well as increasing advertising revenue, the UK version doesn't have that. They're also helped massively by having the 3 o'clock saturday games and the CL games.

Advertising is advertising lads, Jimmy-Joe's silage company pay the same for their ad as Lucozade sport. The sign of a station struggling for advertising revenue is when they advertise their programmes more than products and I haven't seen that with Setanta apart from on a few late night US sports broadcasts.

I know i'm not the only one who wouldnt touch Shitanta with a 10f pole because of the problems many have had with them over payments, cancelling etc.

That is why they are doomed to fail

If they allowed people to subscribe without contract and made themselves available on the sky package so only one payment was required then they would at least double the number of people taking up the service IMHO as it is its one down one to go in my book fuck sky off as well and the fucking leeches that suck the game we love dry would soon follow them and give the people their game back

Guest davelfc

I wouldn't touch Setanta now either after the hell I had trying to cancel. Then the phone calls to get me back started. Luckily it was a disposable voip number.

SPL steps in to pay Setanta's £3m subsidy to clubs | Media | guardian.co.uk

SPL steps in to pay Setanta's £3m subsidy to clubs.

Ewan Murray Friday 5 June 2009

The Scottish Premier League has had to step in to provide a £3m subsidy to their clubs after Setanta failed to come up with the payment, and warned that the broadcaster faces a "crucial few days".

The SPL board came to the decision to dip into their own reserves following a meeting at Hampden Park . Setanta were due to pay a £3m instalment, the last one of the season, to the league last weekend but it has not been forthcoming.

With some clubs desperately in need of the cash, the SPL opted to bandage the wound by supplying it themselves. That will do little to ease concerns over the viability of Setanta, who have a deal to cover 60 live SPL matches a season until 2014. In relative terms, £3m is a paltry figure.

A senior SPL figure used the term "crucial" to describe Setanta's immediate future, with the firm urgently needing £50m of fresh income. Speculation is rising that they could be taken over by the American broadcaster ESPN, who have a desire to gain a European portfolio.

Any such deal would prove complex, however. If Setanta lurch into administration, their existing contracts would be declared null and void. Another possibility is that ESPN buy into Setanta, giving them equity in exchange for much-needed investment to meet liabilities.

Setanta are also in current discussions with Sky and Ofcom, the broadcasters' watchdog, regarding the viability of including their coverage in Sky's sports packages. Setanta refused to comment on the latest developments yesterday.

I think their coverage is shit anyway, and their pundit collective is the biggest pooling of fuckwits this side of the FA. Also, have ManU ever lost when they have featured on Setanta? If not, that's another reason why they have to go.

Similarly, I only watch LFCtv to catch highlights or reserve games. They always seem to show interviews with Ian St.John or Tommy Smith, and you know what they are going to say anyway. It wouldn't be a big miss, and if the club had any wits about them, they could make up for the revenue shortfall via the website.

Guest davelfc
Setanta pay us £2.5m a year. How the fuck are we meant to make up for that via the website? We already have the most profitable football club site in the world by a mile with revenue of £5m a year.

100 days that shook the centenary stand?

There was a few on that programme I would have liked to have taken for a nice meal and a few drinks, and then ruined

She was always the one who stood out for me (6)

I'll have to trawl through Google now to remind myself of the female population of Brookie Close.

I remember we had family friends in Liverpool who lived near The Rocket. The Hudson's they were called. Not seen them for years now. They have a daughter called Jodie and she was incredibly stunning!!! Yet another reason for a love of Scouse birds :whistle:

Hang about.................how the hell could I forget this stunner.

4824253~Ex-Brookside-Actress-Jennifer-Ellison-in-London-Today-Picture-by-John-Ferguson-Posters.jpg

Edited by Preston Red
Just remembered another one

I have raised many questions about the viability of setanta and of tv rights in general, there is no way a football game between Wigan and Bolton is worth £3-4m+ to a domestic broadcaster, it is a huge bubble and sooner or later it will burst. if the recession is prolonged Sky itself could well go under just like Setanta, though it seems they have some control over costs but I just dont understand how they can keep up what is clearly an uneconomical model

ITV Digital

Setanta

Sky ??

watch this space.