You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I hate Manchester United.

Dicko

All this man u hatred is a fairly new thing really.

I seem to remember they played a match at Anfield against Arsenal in '70 or '71 because they couldn't play at ot for some reason.

There was always rivalry, but it wasn't the toxic thing it has become today.

Personally I think that's down to ferguson, and some good old fashioned jealousy on our part.

Hmmm...

Hidden deep within the pages of football's dustiest history books lurks a dark secret – or so it appears. The club that now boasts 18 league titles, the same number as Liverpool, could once call Anfield its home, just as Liverpool's great city rivals Everton did in the 1880s. In 1971, with United banned from playing their first two home matches in Manchester, after hooligans had thrown knives into the away section at a match at the end of the previous season, their opening "home" games would be played at Anfield and Stoke's Victoria Ground.

751775065_bc372c6145_o.jpg

"Just off to t'match, love."

Guardian blog, 2010

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember they played a match at Anfield against Arsenal in '70 or '71 because they couldn't play at ot for some reason.

Personally I think that's down to ferguson, and some good old fashioned jealousy on our part.

Really.

I don't suppose you remember the semi finals in 85.

They hate us far more than we could ever hate them.

It's been naughty for a long time. The trouble at the the 2 semi's in 79 at Maine rd and in the replay we lost at goodison was as bad as it gets.

I know a few utd lads who were there at the replay including a mate who hid in a bin at the back of the old punch and judy cafe in front of lime street.

Missed his train the poor cunt.

When I say "fairly new" it means in the context of how long the 2 clubs have been around.

Certainly it started to get more toxic as the hooligan element really got going in the mid to late 70's, but for me it really changed around the time fungusface took over.

So, yeah it's a "fairly new" thing.

I don't hate them, because it's pointless (to me) to hate an institution I don't give a shit about or hate people I don't know.

Hate implies you feel an emotion towards something, but in my book they are irrelevant which is a far worse insult.

When I say "fairly new" it means in the context of how long the 2 clubs have been around.

Certainly it started to get more toxic as the hooligan element really got going in the mid to late 70's, but for me it really changed around the time fungusface took over.

So, yeah it's a "fairly new" thing.

I don't hate them, because it's pointless (to me) to hate an institution I don't give a shit about or hate people I don't know.

Hate implies you feel an emotion towards something, but in my book they are irrelevant which is a far worse insult.

Manchester Utd are not irrelevant. As a Liverpool supporter there are all kinds you can level at Utd but being irrelevant isn't one of them.

Everton & Manchester Utd are our rivals if you can't have strong emotions about them two we as well all go home.

Manchester Utd are not irrelevant. As a Liverpool supporter there are all kinds you can level at Utd but being irrelevant isn't one of them.

Everton & Manchester Utd are our rivals if you can't have strong emotions about them two we as well all go home.

I said they are an irrelevance IN MY BOOK, which means to me.

I couldn't give a fuck about them or everton or any other fucking team for that matter.

If they are not Liverpool I don't fucking care, simple as that.

Fuck me, I see the threads on here about the bitters or manure being obsessed with us, and it is the rankest fucking hypocrisy because half the posters on here seem more concerned about what those teams are saying about us and doing than they are about LFC.

I couldn't give a fuck about them or everton or any other fucking team for that matter.

Fuck me, I see the threads on here about the bitters or manure being obsessed with us, and it is the rankest fucking hypocrisy because half the posters on here seem more concerned about what those teams are saying about us and doing than they are about LFC.

Firstly Manure is a stupid term.

Secondly Everton & Manchester Utd are our rivals if you were to go on kipper or the cafe you'd find even more threads about us.

This particular thread was started on the night Barca wiped the floor with them at Wembley.

I'm sure there were plenty of Liverpool supporters taking more than a passive interest in how Utd got on that night.

What happened at the semis in 85?

I won't go into details but before and after both games Liverpool & Utd went to war.

Depending on who you talk to you'll hear different things. But the common consensus is that the Liverpool lads absolutely fucking annihilated the mancs everywhere.

Are you one of those people that seems to think that because something is 'your opinion' it therefore can't be wrong? You are claiming that the mancs are irrelevant. They are obviously not. You are wrong.

Are you one of those people that seems to think that because something is 'your opinion' it therefore can't be wrong? You are claiming that the mancs are irrelevant. They are obviously not. You are wrong.

Are you one of those people that goes on the internet to try and change peoples minds and then insult them when you can't?

Do you understand what an opinion is?

Do you also have a reading comprehension problem, or are you just looking for a fight?

Once again, for the hard of reading, I don't give a fuck about manure, to me they are irrelevant and I'd much rather put my energies into supporting Liverpool than wondering what someone who supports another club thinks about us.I really couldn't give a fuck about the manufactured rivalry that has its roots in thuggery and ignorance. This is my opinion only and if others have a different view that's up to them because I really couldn't give a fuck about that either.

Is that clear enough for you, you fucking mong?

Are you one of those people that goes on the internet to try and change peoples minds and then insult them when you can't?

Do you also have a reading comprehension problem, or are you just looking for a fight?

Once again, for the hard of reading, I don't give a fuck about manure, to me they are irrelevant and I'd much rather put my energies into supporting Liverpool than wondering what someone who supports another club thinks about us.I really couldn't give a fuck about the manufactured rivalry that has its roots in thuggery and ignorance. This is my opinion only and if others have a different view that's up to them because I really couldn't give a fuck about that either.

I didn't insult you, I merely stated that you were, and still are, wrong. Of course I understand that its your opinion, I would be concerned if you had heard such idiotic points of view elsewhere and were claiming them as your own. The problem with your opinions is not that they belong to you, but that they are nonsensical.

Manufactured rivalry.

Manufactured by who?

Manufactured rivalry.

Manufactured by who?

1) Different firms that were competing for shares of the drug trade.

Manchester and Liverpool gangs worked a lot together until the 80's when it became a free for all.

2) The rise of hooliganism played a big part, Everton and Liverpool supporters often belong to the same family, so man u became the target for extreme violence.

3)Tribalism became rife, and was exacerbated by the strife of the time, with high unemployment, dock and mine closures, as well as other industries lost which translated in social terms into a mass anger.

4) Thatcher.

5) sky

6) The lack of hope.

The background to the so called rivalries in football all trace their roots back to the 70's and 80's.

In the case of Leeds (to some teams) it went back a bit further, but the rivalry between manchester and liverpool was political in nature.

Right up to the late 60's, early 70's the fans got on pretty well, you had the odd scuffle, but nothing like the organised violence which was to come.

Thatcher basically left Liverpool to rot, and it became the butt of a million scally jokes, the riots, hooliganism and thuggery were not started by Liverpool.

I'm not trying to paint a pretty picture here - the LFC crews were good at what they did, and they had many running battles with man u fans in the 80's.

Then sky came along and notched the tension up at every opportunity.

They made a huge deal out of it, and they still do it whenever they can, with every club.

So, in answer, it's a combination of factors, and I know I've missed some out, but I'm a bit pissed so fuck it.

always thought the "hatred" came from the docks, with Liverpool as a city doing well for so many years until manchester stole custom?

Anyway, since the 80's I have always hated united, even though Everton were our rivals for honors back then.

27 years I've hated them. Thats a whole lot of hate there.

always thought the "hatred" came from the docks, with Liverpool as a city doing well for so many years until manchester stole custom?

Nah, that's a myth mate, they worked on the same projects a lot of the time.

The thing about the canal is a myth as well.

A few dockers having a scrap has fuck all to do with the rivalry.

It's manufactured.

1) Different firms that were competing for shares of the drug trade.

Manchester and Liverpool gangs worked a lot together until the 80's when it became a free for all.

2) The rise of hooliganism played a big part, Everton and Liverpool supporters often belong to the same family, so man u became the target for extreme violence.

3)Tribalism became rife, and was exacerbated by the strife of the time, with high unemployment, dock and mine closures, as well as other industries lost which translated in social terms into a mass anger.

4) Thatcher.

5) sky

6) The lack of hope.

The background to the so called rivalries in football all trace their roots back to the 70's and 80's.

In the case of Leeds (to some teams) it went back a bit further, but the rivalry between manchester and liverpool was political in nature.

Right up to the late 60's, early 70's the fans got on pretty well, you had the odd scuffle, but nothing like the organised violence which was to come.

Thatcher basically left Liverpool to rot, and it became the butt of a million scally jokes, the riots, hooliganism and thuggery were not started by Liverpool.

I'm not trying to paint a pretty picture here - the LFC crews were good at what they did, and they had many running battles with man u fans in the 80's.

Then sky came along and notched the tension up at every opportunity.

They made a huge deal out of it, and they still do it whenever they can, with every club.

So, in answer, it's a combination of factors, and I know I've missed some out, but I'm a bit pissed so fuck it.

There's been a rivalry between the two cities since the canal was built.

If anything I think the rivalry is less fierce now than it was prior to Ferguson.

Certainly the Urchins now bear no resemblance to the fearsome lads who used to drink in the hippodrome.

But for all what you've said, you've missed out the most important reason for the escalation of the rivalry.

They became jealous of us.

Although the rivalry, the hatred, between us and them is now in the blood, I don't think there was a a defiinite single event that led to the current state of animosity. A series of minor incidents and perceived insults may have had something to do with the build up to the existing mutual loathing that is now a natural reflex for both parties.

As a kid (I am bus pass age) I recall Manchester United as a club that were beset by tragedy; Munich was a cause of genuine national sorrow and Busby's lingering life and death struggle was covered by the existing media in a way that makes Robin Gibb's current flip-flopping look neglected. United were also one of the few clubs that had their stadium bombed during the war. So, as a youth, United garnered some good will and sympathy from the wider football public. Busby, as an ex-Liverpool man, was well considered by my father's generation and there was a genuine respect for the man.

I first attended Old Trafford the day after JFK was bumped. I was with my schoolmate and we were on the main stand terrace part of the the ground. Although the blitz damage had long been repaired the place still looked like a dump. But we won; Harry Gregg did his shoulder and David Herd went in goal, then Ron Yeats got the winner in the last couple of minutes. How we celebrated. Kids that we were, the mate and I didn't give a shit and we gave it plenty - to such a degree that a departing Mancunian pushed passed us and said "Shut it, y' Scouse basterds". He was a big, scruffy, donkey jacket wearing, sweaty twat and he carried one of my finest, most beautifully hawked and accurately aimed 'yokkers' home with him on his jarg leather shoulder. That was my first encounter with the unpleasant nature of the Salfordian.

A couple of years later they had Best and Law. Both players were acknowledged for what they were - outstanding footballers. There was no disputing the respective talents of these guys, particularly Best. Charlton was decent but there was always the hint that he gained a greater reputation because of the media's reaction to his surviving the Munich disaster. Still, when they won the league in 1965 I don't remember any of us being grudging about their success. Of course, we won the FA Cup that year so magnanimity was easy. After that, fuck knows why, it went shit shaped.

A few years later, again on a winning visit to Old Trafford. The Dog And Partridge pub turned into a bloodbath prior to the game. Flying pint glasses created terrible injuries for both sides and, apart from a bit of singing, there wasn't really an outstanding reason for the crap that went on. It was the late 60s and there ws no examination of the event. The 70s, with the explosion of 'hooliganism', just saw a further degeneration in relations between the fans, the 'Munich Song' not being a particularly effective way of building bridges either.

I never understood how the antipathy both sets of supporters arose. But it did, and their singing of 'Shankly is back' as they bounced an inflatable skeleton amongst themselves at a game at Anfield in 1982 left me less curious about the cause and more a participant in the effect.

The succeeding years have made the situation worse, the rivalry more intense, the bile more and more acrid. The respective success of each team seems to be enjoyed more for the grief it creates for the rivals than the joy that a trophy should bring for the victors. A situation that makes no sense at all. And I, like so many others, can't get back to the mindset that existed between two groups of people of approximately similar heritage. culture and circumstance, before something happenened.

But I blame the Manc twats anyway.

Guest The Chimp

Superb torahboy, yet another gem of a post from you. I think things were much worse in the 80s than now, but to be fair I've been away from Liverpool for almost 9 years and so that is based on me looking 'in' from the 'outside.'